C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM versus Reproduction Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:59 PM
6spdNavy99
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OEM versus Reproduction Wheels

Can anyone tell me the advantages (if any) of OEM wheels over repros? I am looking at 2000-2002 wheels for my '99 and I noticed that OEM wheels are sometimes $600 more than reproduction wheels. Is there a disadvantage to getting the repros and saving some $? Do they have a different appearance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :confused:
Old 05-06-2002, 05:03 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: OEM versus Reproduction Wheels (6spdNavy99)

I think they are identical.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:10 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Reproduction wheels are usually CAST and OEM wheels are usually FORGED.

Theoretically, on a thin spoke wheel like the 00-02's, if you drive the car pretty hard or live in an area with rough roads, you should spend the extra cash and get FORGED OEM wheels. However, we have sold MANY sets of 00-02 Reproduction rims and have never had one come back with a crack.

Old 05-06-2002, 07:19 PM
ifeeltheneedforspeed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OEM versus Reproduction Wheels (MattG)

Huh? The 02' ZO6 has "spin cast" wheels? This does not mean "forged". What's up? Bill
Old 05-06-2002, 07:56 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Forged wheels are stronger than cast wheels. Cast wheels usually have bubbles in the wheels and that's why they're weaker.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:01 PM
CSDMagRed01
Instructor

Default Re: OEM versus Reproduction Wheels (ZEEEE 06)

The OEM Y2K wheel is forged while the aftermarket wheels are usually cast and slightly thicker to make up for being slightly weaker. The forging process puts the metal under extreme pressure and orients the molecules rather than allowing them to be random as in casting. Think of wood being oriented fibers (grain) and cotton being short random fibers. Not a great analogy, but hopefully it gets the idea across. Spin casting gives the metal some orientation and is stronger than low pressure casting but it's still not as strong as forging. Since most wheels are cast, it makes a safe wheel. Most high end street and race wheels are forged centers (HRE, CCW, Fikse) with spun rims. The process is more expensive and so is the product. :yesnod:

Carmen

Get notified of new replies

To OEM versus Reproduction Wheels

Quick Reply: OEM versus Reproduction Wheels