C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Dewitts Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with Dewitts Radiator

Well I just purchased a brand new Dewitts Radiator to replace my oem that finally gave out and sprang a leak. I have a 2001 coupe with a4. The radiator I got was the A97A since my original did not come with the quick disconnects. From what I have read in other posts, the original transmission cooler connections are 5/8" -18 inverted flare fittings (correct me if I'm wrong). After sliding the new radiator in, I began to connect the transmission cooler lines, but they don't fit. Apparently the female orifice on the radiator is smaller than the male fitting. I can't understand it. Am I missing something here? Did GM produce vehicles with different size connectors?

Anyhow, I am at a stand still now and it was already after 5pm when I tried to call Dewitts (no answer). I'm thinking, I need a reducer, but if that is true, why didn't they make the radiator with the correct hole size already? If I do need a reducer, does anyone know where to pick up the correct one. I hope someone can help me with this. I'm sure the answer will probably make me look like a jack**s but I needed to ask anyway. Below is a pic of the oem I pulled out, and pics of fitting up againt the new radiator.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Directly from the Dewitt's website:

Attention 2001 Corvette owners! It has come to our attention that some early 2001 Corvettes still used the flare connection that was used from 1994-2000. Please check your transmission oil cooler connections before ordering this radiator.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

Hi lucky, I know that already which is why I have the A97A which is the radiator listed for the 97-00 but mine being a 01 with this style of radiator. The other radiator is the 01-04 which is the A01A which has the quick disconnects. Obviously mine does not have this type.

I'm going to call Dewitts in today and see what's going on. Has anyone run into this problem?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Only in Black
Hi lucky, I know that already which is why I have the A97A which is the radiator listed for the 97-00 but mine being a 01 with this style of radiator. The other radiator is the 01-04 which is the A01A which has the quick disconnects. Obviously mine does not have this type.

I'm going to call Dewitts in today and see what's going on. Has anyone run into this problem?
I know you spoke with John today and I think he's going to mail you some of the quick connect fittings (metric) to see if they thread into your original radiator. If you take another photo of the original radiator port without the flash on I could tell you for sure what it is. It appears to be the metric port with no flare seat inside.

I've never seen your type of fitting before and using the term "quick connect" may not apply here. The change over from the 5/8 flare fitting to the metric thread was sometime in 2001. Your fitting end might be an early design, prototype, or a dealer repair. If the end of the tube is flared, you have a flare type. If the end of the fitting has a seal, then it's the metric type. That means the radiator you returned was actually the right one.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Only in Black
Advanced

It appears I have a strange setup that may have come from the factory in this manner. I found another thread in the forum from another member (screen name "TwoValveKid') who shows a pic of the same type of connector as mine and he is trying to find out the size of this connector as well. I found the pic when I did a google image search of "C5 inverted flare fitting" I have gone to three different auto parts stores, and in desperation - Home Depot with no luck.

John from Dewitts has been helping me with this dilemma, hopefully we can come up with a solution.

Tom I will post up some pictures I sent John today in hopes that maybe you or one of the forum members could shed some light on this fitting.

My hat off to Dewitts for their excellent customer service.

oem radiator port

oem radiator port

transmission cooler line connector (the culprit)

washer/seal

with washer/seal removed

oem radiator part number

Last edited by Only in Black; 11-15-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

I forgot to mention that I went to the Chevy dearler yesterday as well. The only information I was able to get from the guy at the counter was the part number for the fitting but he mentioned it was a discontinued part. He printed a copy of the IPC page and gave me the part number. Their IPC does not give them the size of the fitting either. I will post the part number and possibly the IPC page later as I don't have them handy right now. I don't know if this information will be pertinent, but anything is worth a shot.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

You have a M18 x 1.5 metric fitting and that is the same as our A01A model.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Only in Black
Advanced

Doe!!!!!

Well at least it's crystal clear for anyone in the future who has this same type of connector. Thank you Tom for clearing this up. I will send you pm shortly to see what my next step will be.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Only in Black
Advanced

Tom, I guess your not set up for PM's but I went ahead and called John and he is going to send me out a metric fitting to test on my oem radiator to be 100% sure about it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really want this to work as I think the Dewitts radiator looks absolutely fabulous. You can really see the quality in the built, welds, and overall appearance. Not to mention, the Dewitts has double the rows, double the cooling capacity. Can't see myself going back to a plastic radiator.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM
pantherchams
Advanced

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but...

I have this same fitting on my 01 A4, and I cannot find a replacement male fitting or hose ANYWHERE. I've been to every auto parts store and fitting store in town and nobody has this.

Does anybody know the part number for a replacement hose or where I can find a fitting I can splice on to the end of the existing line?

I would be forever grateful!

Ben
Old 04-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by pantherchams
Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but...

I have this same fitting on my 01 A4, and I cannot find a replacement male fitting or hose ANYWHERE. I've been to every auto parts store and fitting store in town and nobody has this.

Does anybody know the part number for a replacement hose or where I can find a fitting I can splice on to the end of the existing line?

I would be forever grateful!

Ben
I just did this same thing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-fittings.html
Old 04-29-2015, 01:22 AM
pantherchams
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am not replacing the radiator, I just am trying to replace the factory fitting. I have a leak at the fitting/tubing connection. I am really striking out, I can't even seem to be able to buy the entire line (as you said).

Ben

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Old 04-29-2015, 01:34 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Use this fitting from Summit into the late radiator to convert to -6.
EAR-961956ERL
Fitting, Adapter, AN Flare to Metric, -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 Male, Steel, Zinc Plated,

Or this one to convert the early radiator to -6.
RUS-640380
Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 5/8-18 in. Inverted Flare, Steel, Zinc,

Then cut the line like I did and add the 3/8 compression to -6 hose end.
SUM-2200075B
Fitting, Hose End, Tube Adapter, Straight, Female -6 AN Hose to 3/8 in. Tubing, Aluminum, Black
Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 AM
pantherchams
Advanced

Oh man, thank you SO much! I could not find that damn metric o-ring fitting anywhere. I really appreciate it!

Ben

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with Dewitts Radiator

Quick Reply: Need help with Dewitts Radiator