C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default TPMS question

I don't have TPMS on my car. I have a neighbor who does have it on his 'earlier C5 FRC. He might buy my polished Z16 wheels/tires.

Questions: if he does not immediately R&R the TPMS to the Z16 wheels from his oem "wagon wheels", what is the effect?

DIC warning only?

Will the TPMS on his oem wheels transfer directly to the Z06 wheels w/o issues?

He's planning a 3,000 mile trip.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

His wagon wheel sensors should fit with no problem. Might want to replace the "O" rings just to be sure. They can be picked up at the dealership or Home Depot (can't recall the exact size but a search will provide this info). If you take the time to swap out the sensors and match the wheels in the same location (example, your front right wheel for his front right sensor) at all four corners, he may not have to even do the sensor relearn process. If not mistaken, if the sensor post a code and warning on the DIC, it will limit speed to max of 80MPH.

Last edited by MAC5; 11-18-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Originally Posted by MAC5
His wagon wheel sensors should fit with no problem. Might want to replace the "O" rings just to be sure. They can be picked up at the dealership or Home Depot (can't recall the exact size but a search will provide this info). If you take the time to swap out the sensors and match the wheels in the same location (example, your front right wheel for his front right sensor) at all four corners, he may not have to even to the sensor relearn process. If not mistaken, if the sensor post a code and warning on the DIC, it will limit speed to max of 80MPH.
Thanks for the reply. I'll pass the information on to him for his consideration of the purchase.

I read the C6 cars will limit speed if the sensors are not installed, but I could not determine if the C5 cars had any such issue except the flashing DIC light.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:27 AM
toddk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 80 mph limit is for inoperable F45 suspension. Failed or missing TPMS will just result in DIC warnings on startup, but no speed limitation.

That being said, for a 3k mile trip I'd want them operational. Like Karl Malden says, don't leave home without 'em.

If you both have non-run-flats, the local Discount Tire swapped TPMS for $10 a tire for me. They said they had frequent breakage removing sensors with runflats, so it may not be a simple R&R.

Todd
Old 11-19-2011, 10:55 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Originally Posted by toddk
The 80 mph limit is for inoperable F45 suspension. Failed or missing TPMS will just result in DIC warnings on startup, but no speed limitation.

That being said, for a 3k mile trip I'd want them operational. Like Karl Malden says, don't leave home without 'em.

If you both have non-run-flats, the local Discount Tire swapped TPMS for $10 a tire for me. They said they had frequent breakage removing sensors with runflats, so it may not be a simple R&R.

Todd
Thanks. I'll check with him on the suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS question

Quick Reply: TPMS question