C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side air check valve.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Not true. It's not only at warm up that the AIR system does checks ... it also does checks while driving also (reference Service Manual for conditions when it does checks).
Yes, refer to your service manual ZeeOSix..... The AIR pump running during normal operation is not "normal" at all. It suggests that a problem has been detected. The PCM is capable of running two type of tests:

1) Passive
2) Active

If the passive test fails on startup, the PCM will run the active test, during normal operation. If the passive test passes during startup, the AIR pump will not run during normal operation.

Last edited by lucky131969; 12-05-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The OP didn't mention when he get's the light did he?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Yes, refer to your service manual ZeeOSix..... The AIR pump running during normal operation is not "normal" at all. It suggests that a problem has been detected. The PCM is capable of running two type of tests:

1) Passive
2) Active

If the passive test fails on startup, the PCM will run the active test, during normal operation. If the passive test passes during startup, the AIR pump will not run during normal operation.
Yep ... like I said, it can also run a test besides at start up. Thanks for the clarification on that.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
The OP didn't mention when he get's the light did he?
If I recall correctly, the Check Engine light will come on after the 3rd failure is detected.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Have you tried squirting carb cleaner up the hose to free up that check valve?
There are some good theads on how to do this.
That's what I did, when my CEL came on a couple of months back. I've been just fine, ever since.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My tuner explained to me that he moved the parameters so far out in temperature that the car would have to be on fire for the computer to recognize that there is a problem. So unless I didn't understand, the AIR system is still operating and shows ready it just doesn't recognize a problem and thus no CEL.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
03newjersey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I'm just going to guess here. If the puter knows something is wrong on bank 2, it has to do with O2 sensor readings during warm up. That is the only time the AIR pump runs. If it's setting this code, then I think the valve is stuck closed and not providing air to the pass side. Or, the pump output is low and can only open one valve.

A guy could remove the fittings (or hose) from the manifolds, then blow air through at the T, or individually, to see if air comes out on each side. If the pass side doesn't flow, then it's stuck closed. Maybe compressed air would free it? They are simple spring loaded valves.

I am in NE Portland, so welcome Hillsboro. I just got done removing the intake manifold on mine, my first time. Not too bad, but removing that brake vacuum canister line was a bitch. I was able to remove the AIR lines from the back of the head pretty easily, and mine are not going back on. FWIW.....13mm offset box wrench and good feel for the bolt head.

I'm willing to help you troubleshoot it if you can wait until the weekend. I have a 1 car garage and guess what's in there?

I also have the tuning software to tune this out, but am real new at it so if the fellows here can tell me what to edit, I can do that. The only "tuning" I've done on my car thus far is the fan temps.

BTW, I work in Beaverton (Tektronix)

I followed a Red 200X Vette on TV highway on Friday around noon, turned left by Carr Chev. You? I don't see many around.

Ron
Thanks for the offer Ron! The camaraderie amongst forum members never cease to amaze me! Its like a nationwide family willing to help each other unconditionally because of our common interest in our Corvettes. I must remember this when I occasionally consider getting a more practical vehicle with AWD, passenger capacity and more storage because I don't believe there is any other car forum with members as generous as those in the Corvette Forum.
Ron, if I may, I'll send you a message when I'm ready to do the job and if your still willing it would be great to do the job with someone like yourself who's done it already.
BTW that Red 200X Vette on TV highway wasn't me, I'm a millenium yellow coupe.
Similarly, on Monday, I too was following a red C5 vert on a skyway over the river in Portland when it hit an ice patch-got sideways-checked up and regained control, he must have had a small heart attack and me too for just watching.

Again thanks for the generous offer!
Anthony
Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I sent you a PM Anthony.

Ron
Old 01-08-2023, 04:03 PM
bscadlejr
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you loosen that 13mm bolt that holds the bracket? What tool did you use?
Old 01-10-2023, 11:41 AM
john pease
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default P1416 another fix

You might consider doing it this way. No need to remove the intake:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...other-fix.html

Just give the WD-40 time to soak into the pipe threads. The next time I replace this valve it should take me about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Passenger side air check valve.