C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

New front pads and rotors....still BAD vibration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default New front pads and rotors....still BAD vibration!!!

Well finally having enough of the front end shakes, tonight I installed new GM performance rotors and new pads. I have done enough brake jobs in my life to know that a pulsing brake pedal is usually a sure sign of warped rotors. After I did the install tonight I seated the pads like I have done many many times. Drove the car for a short bit and noticed right away the I still have front end shake and the pulsing pedal. It is not nearly as bad as it was but still far more than it should be. Anybody encountered this or have a clue what might be my culprit??? I checked the tie rods ends and there is a small amount of play but I dont think enough to cause this. I did not do the rears and wonder if the rears could be warped bad enough to be transmitting up through the brake system. Ive got 150,000 so maybe Ive got several issues to address.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
Well finally having enough of the front end shakes, tonight I installed new GM performance rotors and new pads. I have done enough brake jobs in my life to know that a pulsing brake pedal is usually a sure sign of warped rotors. After I did the install tonight I seated the pads like I have done many many times. Drove the car for a short bit and noticed right away the I still have front end shake and the pulsing pedal. It is not nearly as bad as it was but still far more than it should be. Anybody encountered this or have a clue what might be my culprit??? I checked the tie rods ends and there is a small amount of play but I dont think enough to cause this. I did not do the rears and wonder if the rears could be warped bad enough to be transmitting up through the brake system. Ive got 150,000 so maybe Ive got several issues to address.
With those miles, Id definitely look at the rears. Might as well just did all 4 wheels at the same time.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

The rears were done when I last did brakes. Installed new pads and rotors on all four corners. I figured with the way I drive I just used up the fronts. Drove to work this morning and the slightest touch of the pedal and the pulsing sensation gets pretty bad. I just having a hard time believing that the rears could be causing this. I have new rears also and will change them this weekend and see if that resolves it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Being around new car dealers in my work, I've seen several times where mechanics haven taken warped new rotors right out of the box. IMHO, maybe you should try aftermarket rotors where they are built on smaller production runs. OEM rotors are probably built by the thousands at a time, and not necessarily out of the best materials. Brakemotive.com as outrageous deals on rotors and pads. I've used them and they are fantastic for the price.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Some new rotors come warped right out of the box. Some brake shops require that new rotors be machined.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

check the tie rod ends?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Do your self a favor and go to one of the local parts stores and rent a runout dial indicator. Take measurements FRONT AND BACK on every rotor. Without looking it up, the GM spec is 3 to 4 / 1000 max runout. That way you will know for sure if you have a warped rotor or another suspension problem causing the pulsation. $10 spent on the dial indicator rental is much better than just throwing parts at the car and hoping for a fix.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Is it possible you might have a warped hub? Possible the hub is warped so the rotor is not sitting flush.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Some new rotors come warped right out of the box. Some brake shops require that new rotors be machined.
Nope

Bent calipers. Time for new calipers
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

there shouldnt be any play when checking your tie rod ends or wheel bearings.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have you made sure the wheels are on properly? When you reinstalled the wheel did you make sure it sat flush against the rotor and the rotor flush against the hub face? All it takes is a little corrosion or a burr on the hub to prevent proper seating and you get the thumping. Have seen it on a lot of vehicles.

Bill
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Nope

I am not familiar with this being an issue. Please explain.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Nope

Bent calipers ? That's a new one on me
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Called Caliper Spread.

If your old brake pads are beveled, not worn evenly from one end to the other, chances are the caliper is bent.

Measure the distance on each side of the caliper where the brake pad fits in. Should be the same distance.

Those of us that beat the living chit out of our cars on the race track / track days, know about caliper spread

I toss and replace my front brake calipers each winter.

And yes Tie Rod ends need to be replaced occasionally

and wheel bearings do go bad. When a wheel bearing is replaced do each side, both front or both rear bearings

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM
irloyal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are your tires? If you have a severe tire issue it will mimick a warped rotor because it will start to shake so bad even at low speeds. It could be a thrown wheel weight, or badly worn (uneven) or chunked tire, or it could be an internal ply problem that is throwing the tire out of balance. I had a front set of tires that had a ply starting to seperate on the inside, and it felt just like a warped rotor as soon as I reached about 20 mph.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Two things you can check - both sound strange but have worked for me.

Lug nut torque. Use a torque wrench and tighten all the nuts in a star pattern to the factory setting (100ft/lbs I think) This has eliminated brake pulsating in several of my cars. Give it a few days to take effect.

Break in your new pads and rotors or clean your old ones. Do several hard stops from 60 or 70 mph down to 10 or 15 mph. Repeat several times. It cleans the rotors and the pads. I have to do this occasionally with my C5 or I get bad pulsing. I'm usually very gentle with my brakes and I don't think they appreciate it. Mine are original pads and rotors with 100K miles.

Neither costs anything and has worked for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

If you say you get a vibration and pedal pulsation ONLY when hitting the brakes, and you've replaced the front brakes, it's pretty clear what your next step is. Replace the rears and I bet it will be fine.

I've had vibration caused by rear brakes on two different vehicles in the past, it's not hard to believe. In both cases they were FWD cars with undersized/unvented rear rotors but it happens.

Something like a bad hub or tie rods or whatever would give you problems all of the time. Vibration under braking == almost certainly rotors. What else could it realistically be?

Dope

Get notified of new replies

To New front pads and rotors....still BAD vibration!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dope
If you say you get a vibration and pedal pulsation ONLY when hitting the brakes, and you've replaced the front brakes, it's pretty clear what your next step is. Replace the rears and I bet it will be fine.

I've had vibration caused by rear brakes on two different vehicles in the past, it's not hard to believe. In both cases they were FWD cars with undersized/unvented rear rotors but it happens.

Something like a bad hub or tie rods or whatever would give you problems all of the time. Vibration under braking == almost certainly rotors. What else could it realistically be?

Dope
WINNER!!! Update, replaced the rears last night and now all is good. Feels so much better to drive. For all of those that offered advice I say Thank You. If the rotors had not fixed it I was going to start following some of the other suggestions given. Can't beat the knowledge and wit of CF.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
WINNER!!! Update, replaced the rears last night and now all is good. Feels so much better to drive. For all of those that offered advice I say Thank You. If the rotors had not fixed it I was going to start following some of the other suggestions given. Can't beat the knowledge and wit of CF.
Winner? Really? Check post #2.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 81c3
Winner? Really? Check post #2.
AHHHH....your absolutely right. When I did the fronts I just didn't have the time to do the rears too. To you I say Thanks and am glad to just not have more severe problems.

Quick Reply: New front pads and rotors....still BAD vibration!!!