C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Solution/S to wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I posted there are parts that will help. I will expand on this since you seem to be confused. The parts which will help eliminate wheel hop will cause the wheel hop to sometimes not be there. They won't fix it or get rid of it, they'll just help with it. The parts will stop wheel hop under certain conditions but the car will still wheel hop under different conditions. That is as good as you can get with the parts and knowledge presently available for this chassis.

You keep trying to say the parts help and then you quickly turn and say the're as good as a cure because they eliminate the wheel hop. These parts might cure wheel hop on a nice sunny day. However, you can throw all of the parts you listed onto the car and it might still wheel hop on a rainy day or a cold night.

It seems you're having a very hard time differentiating between the concept of eliminating wheel hop under certain driving conditions and the concept of outright eliminating wheel hop. You first go one way and then you try to claim it's as good as the other way.
We may be at an understanding with eachother lol
Cause I completely agree, permitting weather this stuff works but yea man, deff the cold and rain is just hell. But again, honestly, who's trying to drive like that in weather like that? Not me thats for sure, I hate driving the vette in the rain. I think its a trade off

Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Aprilia1
Racer

All bets aside and to get back to the OPs question, I have had both the Pfadt trans brace and coilover components installed on my C5. Both have had a positive affect on the wheel hop issue which is just part of the benefit and design intention of the hardware.

The trans brace worked well at providing far better rear wheel stability in corners especially while on the track. I believe that was the intended design purpose of the brace. Fortunately, it also does minimize the wheel hop inherent in the car. I had one unique issue with the brace which was specific to the vehicle due to other drivetrain modifications. It was removed for that reason only.

However, I have since installed coilover components for the purpose of better track handling and control. Regardless of others' claims concerning ride harshness it simply isn't true if properly sprung and adjusted. This daily-driven vehicle finally has a level of control and ride suppleness not possible with the mono-leaf springs and shocks. Have had the same result with two different coilover components, Penske and Pfadt, of which each enhanced handling performance, but with subtle differences. Differences aside, both sets of components did minimize the inherent wheel hop to the smallest level. Very, very rarely will circumstances cause any wheel hop.

So, you can go the trans brace method and get a more "planted" rear suspension AND a demonstrable reduction in wheel hop. Or, consider putting off other modifications and budget for one of the several coilover suspension components available. The side benefit is the wheel hop phenomena is even less of a problem with the coilovers, but you simply have a better performing/handling and riding car as a result.

I have experienced this with my C5, but also with C6 Z06 vehicles that have made the conversion to coilover components. Same end results for each application. Truly surpised that Government Motors has failed to push aside "price point" and historical design and not offer this as an option to buyers. Everyone wins on this one.

Trust this is useful and I have no interest in betting nor debating my observations/opinions. You will benefit from either modification. BTW, recommend changing to Z06 mono-leaf springs if installing the trans brace or not. Have fun...

A1
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aprilia1
All bets aside and to get back to the OPs question, I have had both the Pfadt trans brace and coilover components installed on my C5. Both have had a positive affect on the wheel hop issue which is just part of the benefit and design intention of the hardware.

The trans brace worked well at providing far better rear wheel stability in corners especially while on the track. I believe that was the intended design purpose of the brace. Fortunately, it also does minimize the wheel hop inherent in the car. I had one unique issue with the brace which was specific to the vehicle due to other drivetrain modifications. It was removed for that reason only.

However, I have since installed coilover components for the purpose of better track handling and control. Regardless of others' claims concerning ride harshness it simply isn't true if properly sprung and adjusted. This daily-driven vehicle finally has a level of control and ride suppleness not possible with the mono-leaf springs and shocks. Have had the same result with two different coilover components, Penske and Pfadt, of which each enhanced handling performance, but with subtle differences. Differences aside, both sets of components did minimize the inherent wheel hop to the smallest level. Very, very rarely will circumstances cause any wheel hop.

So, you can go the trans brace method and get a more "planted" rear suspension AND a demonstrable reduction in wheel hop. Or, consider putting off other modifications and budget for one of the several coilover suspension components available. The side benefit is the wheel hop phenomena is even less of a problem with the coilovers, but you simply have a better performing/handling and riding car as a result.

I have experienced this with my C5, but also with C6 Z06 vehicles that have made the conversion to coilover components. Same end results for each application. Truly surpised that Government Motors has failed to push aside "price point" and historical design and not offer this as an option to buyers. Everyone wins on this one.

Trust this is useful and I have no interest in betting nor debating my observations/opinions. You will benefit from either modification. BTW, recommend changing to Z06 mono-leaf springs if installing the trans brace or not. Have fun...

A1
Beautiful post

OP he touched on everything and with great detail.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont mind what was that one unique issue and what caused it?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 PM
stevenm357
Pro

I'm Curious of what resulted in needing the brace removed ,I'm guessing a different differential transmission.

aprilia1 thanks for the awesome reply.not much i can cut from the budget right now.. clutch because without it the car won't be doing much that's for sure.! I am taking part in a big charity rally next summer, Maybe i can get one of the manufactures to help me out with part of the price for advertising on the car.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Aprilia1
Racer

Originally Posted by m6 c5
If you dont mind what was that one unique issue and what caused it?

Light weight flywheel/clutch assembly and other components resulted in slightly annoying chassis resonance around 2000rpm into cockpit. With Z06 after-cat exhaust which are relatively modest in cabin noise, just too noticable for this old guy. Pfadt trans brace didn't cause this, but simply verified it's presence. A C5 with slightly louder exhaust probably wouldn't notice the resonance whatsoever. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the brace installed -- it worked and I suspect would have made the coilover enhancement even better.

Pfadt was very helpful in tracing and pinpointing this issue providing outstanding customer service AND allowed me to return the brace. And yes, they did provide replacement polymer buffers which did help, but not enough for a daily driver in my specific application. Trust this is helpful and applies only to my situation. Merry Christmas...

A1
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always good to hear about good customer service, I know the couple times I have delt with them it has been great.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice A1 It is really how many times we do the same job over & over to get it right!

Thank you for your honest evaluation of a product without the color & drama of the best ever because I bought it.

You have validated my thoughts on the Pfadt Diff Brace & I will be purchasing & installing, I already have the coil overs.

I just removed my driveline & was quite surprised how soft the OE mount is.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CTD
Thank you for your honest evaluation of a product without the color & drama of the best ever because I bought it.
Mines actually installed
Just tryin to be clear it works and it's differences from the ecs brace
Just speaking from experience not "because I bought it"
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the honest feedback and great write up Aprila1. We do our best to treat our customers as we would want to be treated by a manufacturer building parts for our cars. One thing the stock mount is excellent as is noise and vibration absorption. While we can't test for every possible combination of parts we do our best to select a polyurethane pad material that will offer both a performance increase as well as maintaining daily drive able street manners. While our Trans brace will not actually generate extra noise, depending on your level of modification you can experience an increase in Noise/Vibration/Harshness. For most folks who need to help eliminate powertrain shake the increased performance is worth the potential for extra noise.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
stevenm357
Pro

My corvette has.. well an obnoxious exhaust at idle, a loud exhaust at cruising, and an insane scream of a banshee over 4K rpm... I love it... i had to roll the windows up to hear the tiniest bit of gear whine. a slight resonance would be a relief LoL It's a weekend car. Thanks for the insight!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Lloyd Christmas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the feeling that I will be buying the pfadt brace within a month or 2.

Quick Reply: Best Solution/S to wheel hop