C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 swap--Knock Sensor tuning table changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default LS2 swap--Knock Sensor tuning table changes?

I am swapping a LS2 motor into my car and I know where and how to relocated the LS1 knock sensors to the side of the LS2 block, however, I have read a handful of testimonials where people did this relocation and the knock sensors didn't seem to be as sensitive--Almost like they weren't working.

Do any of you guys that have done it with success or tuners that have made the switch know if and what needs to be changed in HPT in order to still have the security of properly working knock sensors?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
I am swapping a LS2 motor into my car and I know where and how to relocated the LS1 knock sensors to the side of the LS2 block, however, I have read a handful of testimonials where people did this relocation and the knock sensors didn't seem to be as sensitive--Almost like they weren't working.

Do any of you guys that have done it with success or tuners that have made the switch know if and what needs to be changed in HPT in order to still have the security of properly working knock sensors?
The lower block location as far as sensing detonation is not as good as the original LS1. There are two major issues, as you pointed out, there is less signal to detect and there are crankshaft related noises that can be mistaken for detonation. This said, spending time on the cal can overcome most of the issues, but it will never be as good as the LS1.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Eric D
The lower block location as far as sensing detonation is not as good as the original LS1. There are two major issues, as you pointed out, there is less signal to detect and there are crankshaft related noises that can be mistaken for detonation. This said, spending time on the cal can overcome most of the issues, but it will never be as good as the LS1.
I understand that. Some people don't even use them when they get a good tune.

I'm just wanting to know about any tuning changes for sensitivity.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand that. Some people don't even use them when they get a good tune.

I'm just wanting to know about any tuning changes for sensitivity.
On the chassis dyno, add spark until audible knock is heard while logging the knock sensors. Use these levels to set sensitivity. Note that you will get false signals for cylinder 2, sometimes (car dependent) 5 and 8.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Eric D
On the chassis dyno, add spark until audible knock is heard while logging the knock sensors. Use these levels to set sensitivity. Note that you will get false signals for cylinder 2, sometimes (car dependent) 5 and 8.
I'm not sure how I feel about making the car knock on a high HP car. I'm fairly sure Taylor knows, I was asking for my own personal knowledge.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not sure how I feel about making the car knock on a high HP car. I'm fairly sure Taylor knows, I was asking for my own personal knowledge.
You are not doing it under high load. Light load with enough spark to knock to have a signal for the knock detection system. This is a normal way to cal for the knock detection system. Typically 2500 to 2800 rpm.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 swap--Knock Sensor tuning table changes?

Quick Reply: LS2 swap--Knock Sensor tuning table changes?