C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Liner Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hood Liner Removal?

I have been contemplating this, it is starting to look a little ratty, was wondering if anyone had done this. or if there was any reason ( such as head from the engine bubbling the paint or something.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Radicaltimes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to change mine also. There is no truth to removing it and not installing one to cause your Hood paint to bubble.It is for noise control. Most cheaper cars don't have them. You can use a large tack puller to remove the large plastic retaining pins.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Im not mistaken it also is a flame retardant and will help put a fire by breaking up and falling down on it, Im not positive however.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by m6 c5
If Im not mistaken it also is a flame retardant and will help put a fire by breaking up and falling down on it, Im not positive however.
Good to know. I love my Vette. However, I coud never feel confident driving a car that had previously been on fire. Consequently, if my Vette ever caught fire, I would want the sucker to keep burning until it turned into a plastic lump.

The Lizzard
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
Good to know. I love my Vette. However, I coud never feel confident driving a car that had previously been on fire. Consequently, if my Vette ever caught fire, I would want the sucker to keep burning until it turned into a plastic lump.

The Lizzard
Yea Im not sure if it would really help if it started to burn or if it is even designed for that. However I have an el camino that caught on fire from what appears to be a leaky valve cover gasket of which the gasket got pushed out somehow and started to burn. Nothing was messed up other than some burn marks on the valve covers but this also happened after it overheated so bad 6 cylinders had blown the head gasket no clue what temperatures it reached as I was not driving it. I feel confident that I could rebuild the 305 and it would be fine but Im going ot put a 350 in there and go from there.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you remove the hood liner you will know the reason it was installed. The underside of the hood is not finished, and not completely painted.

Be careful removing what is there as you may want to replace it, until you order a new one.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't cause any damage to the paint from engine heat. Like mentioned above the hood is not completely finished underneath the liner.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, unpainted. I guess i can fix the paint part.

is it glued in there too?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No. Just the push pins.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 AM
CorvetteBob52
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DIXZ
No. Just the push pins.
Yes, I have also heard that removing the hood pad doesn't hurt anything , but it does create more audible engine noise from outside the car, I am getting my 99 vette completely converted from black to mellenium yellow as I write this, and I had the body shop paint both sides of the hood. just going to try it and see what happens, I may get an aftermarket hi-rise in the future anyways.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I removed mine because it was starting to peel... I also drilled out the rivets holding the hood light in place and removed that as well... it is painted but not completely, I like the look of it better without the liner... I may get it painted in the future if I don't go with an aftermarket hood but it's not a big deal to me either way as my hood is closed most of the time anyway
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenm357
I have been contemplating this, it is starting to look a little ratty, was wondering if anyone had done this. or if there was any reason ( such as head from the engine bubbling the paint or something.

Thanks!
-------
If the liner is just dirty, it's easy to clean. Carefully remove it, then gently brush off loose dirt & debris. Next spray ArmorAll Foaming Tire Cleaner liberally over the entire surface, let dry for a couple hours, then reinstall. I used one can & got good coverage. The liner looked new when I finished.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Liner Removal?

Quick Reply: Hood Liner Removal?