C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:34 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (RCswish)

:eek: Black_Magic :cool:
I could not beleive it !!! How did you do that??? That was one of my hope that get the hardtop for my vert in the winter ....
Could you please tell how much did it cost you and is it really easy to dis and reassembly????
Way too :cool:
Old 05-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable

The top is from a donor (wrecked) Z06/FRC. It has the convertible Header (lock down) bar grafted to the top and the top is molded into the convertible tonaue cover. The top attached to the original convertible hinges (4 bolts). It’s easy to remove, you need two people, just remove the 4 bolts and lift off. I have the original tonaue cover that bolts back on to work as a normal convertible. Take’s 10 minutes.

[Modified by Black_Magic, 9:44 AM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 12:01 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (Black_Magic)

Blackmagc, that is just AWESOME! If I knew you could do that I would have purchased a convertible instead! :cool: :cheers:
Old 05-20-2002, 12:04 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (Black_Magic)

This may or may not be relevant, but in the interest of passing on information, I'll throw this into the mix. Back around 1979-1980, when there were no factory built convertible Corvettes, I was in Ft. Lauderdale FL on vacation. I was driving by a local Chevrolet dealer, and saw what appeared to be a brand new convertibe in their showroom. Naturally, I had to stop and look.
What the car turned out to be, was indeed a brand new T-Top car that was converted into a soft top by a local Corvette specialty shop.
The name of the shop was "Corvette World by Roy Sines". Maybe they're still in business, and maybe they still do this kind of conversion. The 78-79 that I saw at the dealer looked 1st rate, as far as the quality of the work.
So much for my $0.02 worth.........

[Modified by leadfoot4, 10:05 AM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 12:21 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a vert and thought about buying an '02 Z06 'cause I wanted a faster car but was I no way going to give up the vert. So I was gong to have Caravaggio convert the FRC for $12K. But then I looked at this logic:

1. get rid of an 7.5K MILE vert for a Z06, which would put me in the hole at least $8K

2. Convert the z06 to a vert for $12K more

3. Add $2K for round trip shipping to Canada

all which would put me $22K (or more with tax) ) in the hole

I've decide to invest into one of the TT's instead, have money left over in my pocket and a much faster car. I could even invest in LPE' TT for $20K and still come out with money in my pocket. Plus I won't have to worry about leaks.

But if you already have a Z06 and want a vert real bad, then call Carravagio in Canada. I heard he does excellent work. You might want to make sure you have a warranty and that a GM dealership near you will honor it, unless you don't live far from Canada.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:31 PM
jonstr
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (Yellow75)

:eek: Black_Magic :cool:
I could not beleive it !!! How did you do that??? That was one of my hope that get the hardtop for my vert in the winter ....
Could you please tell how much did it cost you and is it really easy to dis and reassembly????
Way too :cool:
Caravaggio (http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com) offers a removable hardtop for convertibles. I believe it's about $3200. For connection, it latches at the header like the stock convertible top. For the rear they add a couple of brackets just behind the seats and use a pair of stock roof panel latches (same as a factory roof panel). It does not require the removal of the tonneau to switch between the hardtop/softtop.

[Modified by jonstr, 9:37 AM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Rand
Instructor

One of my step-father's co-workers used to work in the Corvette group. My step-dad said he ran a shop that converted Z06s to verts using OEM parts.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:37 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (Rand)

Does your step-dad have any contact information? Maybe you could show him this post and see what he thinks :yesnod:
Old 05-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (jonstr)

Jonstr,

Did converting your car to a vert void the warranty?
Old 05-20-2002, 10:53 PM
jonstr
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable (Corvette ED)

Jonstr,

Did converting your car to a vert void the warranty?
Nope. I just took it in for some warranty work the other day. The dealer even adjusted the top for me for free (the rear bow was pressing a little too hard on the paint).

I suppose if I took it in and said the fixed roof fell off they might have a problem covering that under warranty :) , but beyond that the dealer has been totally cool with warranty work. I suppose there are some dealers who would complain, but most I've found are reasonable. As long as you're not asking them to fix something that you modified, or was damaged as a result of your mods, I've never had a problem. My last trip (last week) I actually reminded the service writer that the car was a modified convertible when I asked him to have the top adjusted, but to my surprise they did the adjustment for free too.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
RUNWME
Instructor

I know this is an old thread, but im wondering what is involved with attaching a z06 hardtop to a convertible. Does anyone still do this conversion?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RUNWME
I know this is an old thread, but im wondering what is involved with attaching a z06 hardtop to a convertible. Does anyone still do this conversion?
RUNWME, why not just buy a removable hardtop for your vert, much cheaper than the conversion. Here's mine and only 30 miles from you if you want to see it.
-----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't it EASIER to take a 6 speed VERT and make it FASTER? $8-10K should get you in the mid 500 HP range without hacking a car up?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
RUNWME
Instructor

Originally Posted by byronhunter
RUNWME, why not just buy a removable hardtop for your vert, much cheaper than the conversion. Here's mine and only 30 miles from you if you want to see it.
-----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------
Nice looking car. Thanks for offer, I would like to shoot over to kinston and check out your top when it is convenient for you. Just pm'd you my contact information.
David
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A few people at the Vette Barn have modded Z's and vert. GBVette has what he calls a FRV = Fixed Roof Vert. He has an FRC roof that he turned into a targa mounted on his vert. COBRA4B turned his Z into a targa and Mike - I can't remember his name here verted his Z.

It can and has been done without Carravagio ($$$$) being involved.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RUNWME, I'll call you in a few minutes. By the way, WKMCD has one of the sharpest white convertibles I've seen.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by byronhunter
RUNWME, I'll call you in a few minutes. By the way, WKMCD has one of the sharpest white convertibles I've seen.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
RUNWME
Instructor

Mine is a convertible. Would be really cool to have a removable hardtop with targa top. Then could go convertible, full hardtop or hardtop with targa removed.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have just bought a coupe the best of both worlds and a fastback what more could you ask for.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Ken Desai
3rd Gear

Default conversion to hardtop Convertible.any models FRC,or targatop

Hey All Corvette owners.
You all of owners convertible Dream will became true cheapest way.
Kensinnovation Created Economic way hard top convertible cars for lower income people who can not afford to buy Hardtop cnvertible and they dream above the seat their roof should complete open for ratling hair with wind in sunny weather
company coming in Aftermarket conversion franchise with its fist division as www.corvettible.com
Will do conversion to any year model of FRC or Targa top to hard top convertible. with Patented technology.
Wait for little time and contact on Kantidesai@yahoo.com for further detail.
Ken

Quick Reply: Converting an FRC/Z06 to Convertable