C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil torque drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Amsoil torque drive

First, I want to thank you Brad (Subdriver) for answering my questions and for quick PM replies as well as getting the package to me in such a timely manner.

For anyone tuned in here, I wanted to give my results after changing to Amsoil torque Drive for my transmission. I was running Royal Syncromax. The RP had about 9000 milrs on it. I noticed my shifting was getting a more notchy feel to it. I also noticed when the car was cold, it was getting really hard to get into 1st gear or reverse.

With the Amsoil Torqe Drive shifting is much smoother. I went on a hundred plus mile drive on Saturday and realized I had forgotten about shifting because it was pretty much effortless even with my short MGW stick. When cold, I can get it into 1st or reverse with no trouble.

Im a bit surprized that just a fluid change could net such great results. If youre needing a transmission fluid change and youre on the fence about Amsoil Torque Drive, order it now!

Thanks again Brad!!

Last edited by 81c3; 03-18-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My pleasure and thanks for the writeup!

Fluid mentioned above:
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

Drop me a PM if interested in trying it.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

The following users liked this post:
Old Country (03-04-2020)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
tech2262
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys reccomend that over the ATF synthetic amsoil
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tech2262
You guys reccomend that over the ATF synthetic amsoil
I believe Torque Drive is Amsoil's synthetic ATF.

Taken from the Amsoil website:
"Torque-Drive® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
Recommended for use in applications specifying Allison® TES-295 or C4, DEXRON® III, MERCON®, Voith G-1363, ZF® TE-ML 14C"
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

So what's the difference between Amsoil ATF and Torque-Drive ???

I thought Amsoil full synthetic ATF is what was used in our C5 6-speeds.....
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Amsoil has a couple ATF's.One is a mulit-vehicle automatic fluid and Torque Drive is the one that is highly recommended for the Z06 man trans.

I've used TD for about 6 years in my 02Z and it's the best shifting fluid I have ever used.

\db2
carolina
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbaker
Amsoil has a couple ATF's.One is a mulit-vehicle automatic fluid and Torque Drive is the one that is highly recommended for the Z06 man trans.

I've used TD for about 6 years in my 02Z and it's the best shifting fluid I have ever used.

\db2
carolina
Okay... that's an M12 tranny. What about the rest of us with M6 trannies ??
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran Mobil 1 ATF for 50,000 miles, then my MN6 transmission started grinding going into 5th and 6th gears. I replaced with Amsoil TD and it immediately stopped. Has been fine for 40,000+ miles.

Mine is a 1998 with paper blocker rings.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldvetter:
redzg (09-07-2018), turabo87 (08-13-2020)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
So what's the difference between Amsoil ATF and Torque-Drive ???

I thought Amsoil full synthetic ATF is what was used in our C5 6-speeds.....
AMSOIL recommends both of these for the manuals in our Corvettes:
AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATFQT)

Both of these are "full" synthetic ATF fluids, use the same basestock and are Dexron III spec fluids. But, the Torque Drive is AMSOIL's primary recommendation and the Multi-Vehicle ATF is the alternate. They are very similar and for those that have the Multi-Vehicle ATF in their trannies, I would not run out and change it, but would suggest the Torque Drive next time around.

Now the history - the Multi-Vehicle ATF used to be called the Universal ATF and it was the primary recommendation. When GM came out with Dexron VI, I asked AMSOIL to evaluate all their tranny fluids. They ended up coming out with a new low viscosity ATF for the Dexron VI ATF market, but in their analysis, they also determined the Torque Drive was the better fluid for the Tremec manual trannies and swapped their recommendation from Multi-Vehicle ATF primary, Torque Drive secondary, to Torque Drive primary, Multi-Vehicle ATF secondary. MN12 or M6 - doesn't matter.

I've actually used both over the years and found they are very hard to tell apart. I've been using the Torque Drive since about 2007.

Last edited by C66 Racing; 03-21-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Subdriver
AMSOIL recommends both of these for the manuals in our Corvettes:
AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATFQT)

Both of these are "full" synthetic ATF fluids, use the same basestock and are Dexron III spec fluids. But, the Torque Drive is AMSOIL's primary recommendation and the Multi-Vehicle ATF is the alternate. They are very similar and for those that have the Multi-Vehicle ATF in their trannies, I would not run out and change it, but would suggest the Torque Drive next time around.

Now the history - the Multi-Vehicle ATF used to be called the Universal ATF and it was the primary recommendation. When GM came out with Dexron IV, I asked AMSOIL to evaluate all their tranny fluids. They ended up coming out with a new low viscosity ATF for the Dexron IV ATF market, but in their analysis, they also determined the Torque Drive was the better fluid for the Tremec manual trannies and swapped their recommendation from Multi-Vehicle ATF primary, Torque Drive secondary, to Torque Drive primary, Multi-Vehicle ATF secondary. MN12 or M6 - doesn't matter.

I've actually used both over the years and found they are very hard to tell apart. I've been using the Torque Drive since about 2007.
Thanks for the heads up. I changed out my tranny fluid a little over a year ago.... so I'll probably do a fluid swap this summer.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

When GM came out with Dexron IV, I asked AMSOIL to evaluate all their tranny fluids. They ended up coming out with a new low viscosity ATF for the Dexron IV ATF market
GM never came out with Dexron IV ATF. I believe what you are referring to is Dexron VI ATF, which GM held the original licensing for.

GM's original licensing has since expired, and other manufacturers can now use the Dexron VI designation for their ATF's. The VI stands for "Viscosity Improved".
Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
GM never came out with Dexron IV ATF. I believe what you are referring to is Dexron VI ATF, which GM held the original licensing for.

GM's original licensing has since expired, and other manufacturers can now use the Dexron VI designation for their ATF's. The VI stands for "Viscosity Improved".
You are correct and I fixed my above post. My brain was saying "six" but my fingers were typing "four" as I'm so used to typing PAO synthetics as Group IV.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

When Dexron VI first came out, GM recommended it's use for all GM cars and trucks, with automatic transmissions, built from 1949 to date.

I suspect Amsoil's new Torque Drive ATF also has a very similar wide range usage application. I'm curious why Amsoil doesn't specify it as a replacement for Dexron VI or Mercon V ATF, which are both semi-synthetics.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

When Dexron VI first came out, GM recommended it's use for all GM cars and trucks, with automatic transmissions, built from 1949 to date.

I suspect Amsoil's new Torque Drive ATF also has a very similar wide range usage application. I'm curious why Amsoil doesn't specify it as a replacement for Dexron VI or Mercon V ATF, which are both semi-synthetics.
Torque Drive is a Dex III spec fluid.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
C66 Racing

AMSOIL did consider using their AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATFQT) as a dual spec oil, but ultimately came out with a fluid specifically designed for the Dexron VI application:
AMSOIL Low Viscosity Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (Product Code ATLQT)

The ATL is usable where GM says the Dexron VI is usable, thus backwards compatable with older automatic transmissions that required Dexron III. That said, the viscosity of Dexron VI is about 25% below that of Dexron III. I personally use the Multi-vehicle ATF in my 03 Chevy Trailblazer which specs Dexron III.

They did not change the Torque Drive formulation and make it any more or less broad when Dexron VI came out. The Torque Drive was specifically designed for Allison Transmissions that require Allison TES-295 transmission fluid specification. Happens to meet Dexron III as well and they evaluate it to be the best option for the tough application of our manual trannies. I do use the Torque Drive in my GMC RV which has an Allison tranny which is handy for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

AMSOIL did consider using their AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATFQT) as a dual spec oil, but ultimately came out with a fluid specifically designed for the Dexron VI application:
AMSOIL Low Viscosity Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (Product Code ATLQT)

The ATL is usable where GM says the Dexron VI is usable, thus backwards compatable with older automatic transmissions that required Dexron III. That said, the viscosity of Dexron VI is about 25% below that of Dexron III. I personally use the Multi-vehicle ATF in my 03 Chevy Trailblazer which specs Dexron III.

They did not change the Torque Drive formulation and make it any more or less broad when Dexron VI came out. The Torque Drive was specifically designed for Allison Transmissions that require Allison TES-295 transmission fluid specification. Happens to meet Dexron III as well and they evaluate it to be the best option for the tough application of our manual trannies. I do use the Torque Drive in my GMC RV which has an Allison tranny which is handy for me.
I have become a fan of 50% ATF and 50% MTF in my RPM-built 6-speed. Thus the last order I placed with you.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Excellent explanation of the technical differences between Amsoi's ATF choices.

Thanks Brad.

Get notified of new replies

To Amsoil torque drive

Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

I also use the TD in my 97' A4 tranny............runs cool and takes the abuse way better than the other type fluids would
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Pegan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to place an order for this stuff, but this part of the product description about the recommended applications threw me off...

municipal or transit buses, motor coaches, garbage haulers, motor homes, delivery vans, emergency vehicles, school buses, dump trucks,utility vehicles, cement trucks, line haul trucks and tow trucks.
Pardon my ignorance, but a z06 and a dump truck use the same transmission fluid?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default I switched too

I recently switched both my transmission and differential fluids from Royal Purple to Amsoil. The RP was in the car for just about 3 years / maybe 6,000 miles. I felt the shifting might be improved upon plus it had been 3 years so figured, why not. Let me just say this...I was not impressed at all with what poured out of my transmission and my differential! MUD! I mean the RP that went in was purple in color. What came out was more a light greyish/milky/dirty looking sludge in both the transmission and in the differential. How my car was shifting ok, I'll never know.

I'll take a peak when I get to about 5000 miles on it to see how the Amsoil is doing.

Big props to Brad on here for hooking me up.

Quick Reply: Amsoil torque drive