C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil torque drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BEETR00T
Pardon my ignorance, but a z06 and a dump truck use the same transmission fluid?
Short answer is - yes.

Tremec specs an ATF that meets Dexron III specification for the T56 in our manual trannies. AMSOIL's best fluid which meets Dexron III specs happens to be designed for the Allison automatic transmission found in many heavy duty vehicles (including my RV which is handy for me). Many forums members, myself included, have been using this fluid and as indicated by XtremeVette above - they are satisified.

XtremeVette - thanks for the mention.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just an update on my experience with Torque Drive in my 2000 MN6:

I recently drained out the GM-recommended fluid (the Dex-III replacement, not the Dex VI or the Syncromesh).
I filled the tranny with Amsoil torque Drive as recommended herein.

Immediately noticeable was much more notchiness in all gears, and actual kickback occasionally when going to 2nd, 3d, or 4th.
THIS OCCURS ONLY WHEN THE TRANNY IS COLD (air temps between 40 and 60 here right now).
After full warmup, say 10 miles, the shifts become much smoother, better than the GM fluid. I guess this makes sense in that the viscosity of the TD is a bit higher than the ATF. I guess it would make sense to use the TD for track use, but I'm really not too happy about those first 10 miles - with my car, that's a pretty big part of my usual driving cycles.
I plan to keep it in until the weather warms up here in Texas, and see how it shifts then.
Maybe the answer for us old slow drivers is the Amsoil ATF, and the track and fast street guys go for the TD?

DG
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I used Amsoil "Universal" auto transmission fluid in my 01.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by The Wrench
Just an update on my experience with Torque Drive in my 2000 MN6:

I recently drained out the GM-recommended fluid (the Dex-III replacement, not the Dex VI or the Syncromesh).
I filled the tranny with Amsoil torque Drive as recommended herein.

Immediately noticeable was much more notchiness in all gears, and actual kickback occasionally when going to 2nd, 3d, or 4th.
THIS OCCURS ONLY WHEN THE TRANNY IS COLD (air temps between 40 and 60 here right now).
After full warmup, say 10 miles, the shifts become much smoother, better than the GM fluid. I guess this makes sense in that the viscosity of the TD is a bit higher than the ATF. I guess it would make sense to use the TD for track use, but I'm really not too happy about those first 10 miles - with my car, that's a pretty big part of my usual driving cycles.
I plan to keep it in until the weather warms up here in Texas, and see how it shifts then.
Maybe the answer for us old slow drivers is the Amsoil ATF, and the track and fast street guys go for the TD?

DG
Same experience here in my '01 MN6 although no kickback experienced, currently using Torque Drive. However, I do notice the difference with a cold tranny in that the shifts are not as smooth until it warms up - to be expected I guess to some extent. I just granny-shift it the first time out in cool weather. Perhaps that is why the one owner mixes in some of the lower viscosity stuff.

I've tried RP a well as Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which s the Tremec recommendaion. My experience is that RP didn't improve the shifts warm or cold. The Mobil 1 had good cold shifting but it wasn't much smoother as it warmed up. The Amsoil Torque Drive is a little stiffer cold but had the best shifting once warm, so I'll stick with that as mine is mostly a fair-weather creature anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM
C66 Racing

Here are the two fluids discussed above:
AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATFQT)
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

Both of these are labeled for the original tranny spec for our C5s which was Dexron III. AMSOIL's primary recommendation is the Torque Drive which is what I used in my Z06 at the track and used in my 06 CTS-V for several years until I sold it in 09 when I moved to DC.

In their current formulations, the Torque Drive actually has the lower viscosity; 37.1 cSt at 100F and 7.4 cSt at 212F for the Torque Drive vs. 38.8 cSt and 7.5 cSt respectively for the Multi-Vehicle (was formally called Universal).

At one point in time, about 2007 or so, the older formulation of the Multi-vehicle ATF was down at about 6.8 cSt at 212F but AMSOIL opted to come out with a new low viscosity fluid for the Dexron VI market (not applicable for manual trannies) and they put the universal ATF back to its historical at ~7.5 cSt.

Last edited by C66 Racing; 02-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 PM
tanisdwninit
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Know this is really old thread but is what I found that led me to a Amsoil Torque drve fill in my C5 so figured would chime in with my experience. Previous owner of my 99 6spd stated he had in GM spec fluid which I found very difficult to get into gear cold and not much better when warmed up. To add to this had to really make sure I was in first gear or would pop out and grind. Also into the Vegas heat of the beginning of summer thought the GM spec would be a bit easier to shift but was not.

I ordered below from C66 Racing who is a very nice guy with good communication, thanks again C66 Racing for your help.
- 1 gal Torque Drive ATF (product ATD1G)
- 1 Hand Pump (product G2039)

The hand pump made the fill much easier. After using the Amsoil Torque drive for about 2 months and 1k miles the T56 is still somewhat tough shifting when cold but I do not have any issue with first gear popping out anymore, at all, and is easier than the previous GM spec fill to get into gear when cold. Also agree that it is night and day difference shifting warmed up, still notchy since T56 but much smoother and easier to operate, very happy with the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

Last edited by tanisdwninit; 09-03-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: timeframe
The following users liked this post:
C66 Racing (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by tanisdwninit
Know this is really old thread but is what I found that led me to a Amsoil Torque drve fill in my C5 so figured would chime in with my experience. Previous owner of my 99 6spd stated he had in GM spec fluid which I found very difficult to get into gear cold and not much better when warmed up. To add to this had to really make sure I was in first gear or would pop out and grind. Also into the Vegas heat of the beginning of summer thought the GM spec would be a bit easier to shift but was not.

I ordered below from C66 Racing who is a very nice guy with good communication, thanks again C66 Racing for your help.
- 1 gal Torque Drive ATF (product ATD1G)
- 1 Hand Pump (product G2039)

The hand pump made the fill much easier. After using the Amsoil Torque drive for about 2 months and 1k miles the T56 is still somewhat tough shifting when cold but I do not have any issue with first gear popping out anymore, at all, and is easier than the previous GM spec fill to get into gear when cold. Also agree that it is night and day difference shifting warmed up, still notchy since T56 but much smoother and easier to operate, very happy with the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.
Thanks for the comments and glad this old thread helped!

For anyone else considering the AMSOIL Torque Drive ATF, happy to get it for you at ~25% below retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM for info.

Last edited by C66 Racing; 09-04-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:48 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
First, I want to thank you Brad (Subdriver) for answering my questions and for quick PM replies as well as getting the package to me in such a timely manner.

For anyone tuned in here, I wanted to give my results after changing to Amsoil torque Drive for my transmission. I was running Royal Syncromax. The RP had about 9000 milrs on it. I noticed my shifting was getting a more notchy feel to it. I also noticed when the car was cold, it was getting really hard to get into 1st gear or reverse.

With the Amsoil Torqe Drive shifting is much smoother. I went on a hundred plus mile drive on Saturday and realized I had forgotten about shifting because it was pretty much effortless even with my short MGW stick. When cold, I can get it into 1st or reverse with no trouble.

Im a bit surprized that just a fluid change could net such great results. If youre needing a transmission fluid change and youre on the fence about Amsoil Torque Drive, order it now!

Thanks again Brad!!
I've had a "Carlisle friendship" with Jerry at GK Synthetics (they sell Amsoil at Carlisle). He made some inquiries regarding the C5 MN6 - and while Torque Drive is good (and I've used it as well) - he suggested Signature Series instead. At Carlisle this year I waited until Sat afternoon to go buy some (as I didn't want to be lugging it around all day) and to my dismay they were sold out....

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...luid/?code=atf
Old 09-06-2018, 02:03 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by C66 Racing
For anyone else considering the AMSOIL Torque Drive ATF, happy to get it for you at ~25% below retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM for info.
Can you get Signature Series as well at discount?

Quick Reply: Amsoil torque drive