C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
BIGBLUECHEVELLE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller rockers worth it?

I rarely post because I can find threads with the info I need. This time I couldn't so my question if you guys could answer is it worth getting roller rockers? im getting cam head swap on my 03 z06 with only 18k miles. Heads are afr 210's cam England green whiplash II with supporting mods. I was either going with Harland or yella terra units. If it's not worth getting them why? should i just do a trunion upgrade? 1.7 or 1.8 adjustable non adjustable?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBLUECHEVELLE
I rarely post because I can find threads with the info I need. This time I couldn't so my question if you guys could answer is it worth getting roller rockers? im getting cam head swap on my 03 z06 with only 18k miles. Heads are afr 210's cam England green whiplash II with supporting mods. I was either going with Harland or yella terra units. If it's not worth getting them why? should i just do a trunion upgrade? 1.7 or 1.8 adjustable non adjustable?

Thanks for the help!
Depends on the cam and if you can get a good wipe pattern with the stock ones. I've seen a 15hp gain with Yella Terra's on a high lift cammed LS2 over the factory rockers on one particular application.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would but they need to be properly set up. The reason is the bronze guides in the AFR heads and the high lift of the cam. I am running the Yella Terra's. These take time to properly set up. You have to correct the geometry first and then measure for pushrod length. Their use will require the 8019 valve springs, which did you order with the heads?

Here is how I set the wipe on mine: Link

Here is how I selected pushrods and what I am now using: Link

Last edited by vettenuts; 03-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I would replace the lifters & pushrods also.

IMO roller rockers are great.

However, I prefer the adjustable, but on a Vette, if you have to shim the valve cover, the alternator gets in the way.

This is what is preventing me from installing a set of Comp Cams #1500 rockers on my Z.

I may just do a coil re-locate and be done with it.

Last edited by heavymetals; 03-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the help!

I'm also doing a heads and cam swap. Ported polished #243 heads with larger valves and the original EG Whiplash cam. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
BIGBLUECHEVELLE
Instructor

^^^ Yea i have rollers and pushrods and the valve cover shimming I didnt know that i will have to investigage that im taking my car to speed inc to get the work done. I havent bought the heads yet im buying them this upcoming weekend as i live 15 minutes from Speed inc I will be getting the heavy duty springs to support the lift of the cam.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 991 Likes on 627 Posts

I used HS rockers only because Trick flow recommends them stock rockers with the trunnen upgraded work well for most
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
BIGBLUECHEVELLE
Instructor

^^^did you have any clearing issues with valve covers alternator as stated above?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

^^^ Yea i have rollers and pushrods and the valve cover shimming I didnt know that i will have to investigage that im taking my car to speed inc to get the work done. I havent bought the heads yet im buying them this upcoming weekend as i live 15 minutes from Speed inc I will be getting the heavy duty springs to support the lift of the cam.
I've already got the Patriot .650 lift springs and Manley Chrome Moly 7.4 (stock length) pushrods. I'm just not sure about re-using the stock rockers or going with rollers.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM
mjs1012
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help!
Id just do the trunion upgrade to save yourself a few bucks. there are many people out there with stock rockers making the same if not more hp than you. Might as get new ls7 lifters while your in there also.

Last edited by mjs1012; 03-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 207 Posts

I have the Yella Terras on my heads/ cam set up....3 seasons and over a hundred passes at the strip without an issue.... rollers are a good addition to any heads/ cam set up
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
BIGBLUECHEVELLE
Instructor

Im still deciding on which set up to go with as far as rockers im one of those guys that emphasizes do it right the first time you know set up is going to consist of:
AFR 210's With Patriot dual 675 springs
england green whiplash II cam
fast ported 102 intake from peak performance
102mm Nick williams TB
Billet fuel rails
bigger injectors (trying to figure out size)
Morel Linkbar lifters
HS or YT roller rockers still deciding
Comp camp pushrods
SLP oil pump
SLP UD pulley
Monster level 2 clutch
HD timing Chain

all done by speed inc and tune also.

then hopefully in near future upgrade diff to c6z06 guts
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Id just do the trunion upgrade to save yourself a few bucks. there are many people out there with stock rockers making the same if not more hp than you. Might as get new ls7 lifters while your in there also.
So replacing the trunions on stock roller rockers make them that much better ??
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Thanks for the help!
In the case of aftermarket heads.. in the long run yes. ( due to wear)
Yella Terra Ultra lites would be what I use ( and recommend).. Hinson generally has them for the best price. I'll cut you a deal on the heads

So replacing the trunions on stock roller rockers make them that much better ??
Yes it makes then stay together without spitting needle bearings out but it also allows for a cam with more lift

Last edited by 99blancoss; 03-30-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Yes it makes then stay together without spitting needle bearings out but it also allows for a cam with more lift
Okay, so with that said... have any of you guys here on the forum seen these roller rockers or have any experience with these ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120807640982...84.m1423.l2649

Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

someone else popped them up once..... this is my take... Yella Terra Ultra Lites are used more often than not for a reason. I stick with what I know works. Thats not to say a new product cant come out and be just as good.. but say like the scorpions.. when they came out a few people jumped on them and found out they break.
YT had a breakage issue a long time ago with a certain batch number but again they are use more often than not when going to aftermarket rockers. We use them ( YT UL) or Jesel or stock if we are chosing.

Have you seen the price on the rockers you posted ?
Thats cheaper than a gm set of rockers..LOL
cheap chinese junk would be my first impression.. the comp trunion kit cost more than those rockers and they are offering bulk discounts on the rockers as well...LOL I think that should tell you all you need to know about them

CAT stainless steel roller rockers will allow your engine to produce 30 more horsepower. for less than 70 shipped...

Last edited by 99blancoss; 03-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
someone else popped them up once..... this is my take... Yella Terra Ultra Lites are used more often than not for a reason. I stick with what I know works. Thats not to say a new product cant come out and be just as good.. but say like the scorpions.. when they came out a few people jumped on them and found out they break.
YT had a breakage issue a long time ago with a certain batch number but again they are use more often than not when going to aftermarket rockers. We use them ( YT UL) or Jesel or stock if we are chosing.

Have you seen the price on the rockers you posted ?
Thats cheaper than a gm set of rockers..LOL
cheap chinese junk would be my first impression.. the comp trunion kit cost more than those rockers and they are offering bulk discounts on the rockers as well...LOL I think that should tell you all you need to know about them

CAT stainless steel roller rockers will allow your engine to produce 30 more horsepower. for less than 70 shipped...
Thought you guys would get a nice laugh out of these...

Looks like I'll be doing the "trunion upgrade" on some stock roller rockers.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 03-30-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller rockers worth it?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
BIGBLUECHEVELLE
Instructor

I guess Yella terra rockers it is I don't want any issues do it once and done. Is there clearing issues with these and afr's with valve covers?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 207 Posts

I guess Yella terra rockers it is I don't want any issues do it once and done. Is there clearing issues with these and afr's with valve covers?
No clearance issues with mine.......
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Okay, so with that said... have any of you guys here on the forum seen these roller rockers or have any experience with these ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120807640982...84.m1423.l2649

Hell Yea, Buy it now price is at $44 now for a full set. Don't miss this opportunity! Got to be quality

I think they are made from Chinesium alloy for durability.

Last edited by ctusser; 03-30-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Roller rockers worth it?