C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isky tools-Piston notching-which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 12:20 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default (Hey A.R.E.)Isky tools-Piston notching-which one?

I'm installing an A.R.E solid roller H/C and I need to notch my pistons .0100. Valves are 2.08 in/1.60 ex. Question is, which notching tool on the Isky Tools website do I get? Do I get one for each size valve or just use the bigger one for both? What does the PRT stand for? Also, how are you suppose to be able to use your stock heads as a guide when the valves are smaller?

thanks for any info

David

[Modified by ScreaminDemon, 11:45 PM 5/17/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 01:46 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Default Re: (Hey A.R.E.)Isky tools-Piston notching-which one? (ScreaminDemon)

Anyone???????????????
Old 05-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Re: (Hey A.R.E.)Isky tools-Piston notching-which one? (ScreaminDemon)

You may think this is crazy but... I take the intake valve and glue a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to it and do the same with the exhaust. I use a cordless drill on the valve and grind away. It makes a nice impression on the piston. Then I take a 2" mandrel for the intake and a 1.5" one for the exhaust on a die grinder with the head off and just do it by eye. It works fine. I'm not saying it's better but it works . If you are going to use the Isky tool , then I would use 2 sizes.
Are you using a 2.08 valve on a standard bore? The guy who does my heads believes that is counter productive. The valve is shrouded too much. We just had some heads on the flow bench today and on a 3.910 bore the 2.02 valve flowed better at most lifts. The 2.08 didn't do much until .670 lift.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:50 AM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Default Re: (Hey A.R.E.)Isky tools-Piston notching-which one? (Andy@AandACorvette)

Andy, That does sound pretty crazy! But I'm sure several ways would work. I've just never done it before. I woorry about lowering my compression overworking the notching. I'm we'll have a better idea once we get heads off.
I don't know about the standard bore, ARE did my heads and I wasn't given "all" the spec numbers, but Nick know what he's doing. I haven't recieved my parts sheet or flow sheet yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Isky tools-Piston notching-which one?

Quick Reply: Isky tools-Piston notching-which one?