C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Lock Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Lock Recall

I have read most of the post and I need some advice. I have a 2002 coupe manual 6 speed. (M6 I guess) and according to the dealer the recall was complied with Dec 2004. Yesterday April 10, 2012 I got in my car afterwork and get the pull key and wait 10 sec. Reinserted the key and got the Service Steering Colunm Lock and the column locked!!! I was stranded. Left the car at work and immediately started searching the formum for answers. I thought that if the recall was done, your colunm wouldn't lock. Then I read that it may be the batter. I replaced the battery 6 months ago. (Walmart). Read about shaking the steering wheel hard to get it to unlock and this morning it did. I drove the car home and am wondering whats my next step. I lost confidence that it will not happen again leaving me stranded, dealer wants $125 diagnostic fee to determine if the recall was done correctly. I ordered the CLB but don't know what to do to remove the recall. Need some help a guidance please. I use my car as a daily driver when weather permits and I want to keep this from reocurring. Any help or guidance/piictures would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Jumper11
I got in my car afterwork and get the pull key and wait 10 sec. Reinserted the key and got the Service Steering Colunm Lock and the column locked!!! I was stranded.
Did you wait 10 sec?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I removed the steering wheel from my car, then removed the "lock plate" that's further down on the column. I then chucked the plate in a lathe and trimmed off the outer portion of the plate, the portion that has the "detents" that the lock pin locates itself in. I then re-installed the modified plate, and the steering wheel.

Granted, my column lock will no longer function, no matter what, but at least I'll never be stranded with a locked steering column....
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Tenacfan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Page 8vette7 & do exactly as he says, that is all.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Yes I waited 10 sec and got the column lock. I ordered the CLB from Corvettes of Houston and should see it soon. Does anyone have pictures of removing the recall and replacing it with the CLB. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
XDodgeMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumper,

Go to the top at the start of this Tech Forum and read, read, and read the Sticky about your problem. There are tons of pictures and I am sure several people that had the exact same problem as you.

Or click here and go back a few pages

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...please-87.html
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Is my column unlocked if I can move it back and forth about an inch either way before it locks. Today it unlocks when I put the key in and go to start but it did F$&K up on be with my old battery. I'm installing the LMC5 today and wanted to know if an unlocked steering column means it moves an inch either way?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Now I'm confused. If I move the wheel more then an inch I can hear the lock pin go home. Then It doesn't move at all. When I put the key in to "ON" then it unlocks and can move from stop to stop. Installing instructions for the LMC5 has you disconnet the battery. I believe the wheel will lock regardless of the power or not I don't want to disconnect the BCM and relays just to hook it up again to unlock the wheel.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Well now that I read ALL of the instructions from Compliance parts and realized that what 8VETT7 meant. Anyone who's steering column locks and unlocks normally, you'll need to order the unlocker when you order the LMC5 kit. Order them together and save on shipping. NOT like I did. Thanks all.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Lock Recall

Quick Reply: Steering Lock Recall