C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose ballancer bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Loose ballancer bolt

I have read a few post about this. My bolt came loose and the ballancer worked its way forward. This was found at my mechanics shop. as you can see in the pictures the belt is off by 2 groves and it just started to begin to leak oil. I am thinking I can get a new bolt and then tighten the ballancer back on and torque using the old bolt then remove the old and install the new bolt. My mechanic wants to move the power steering rack take the ballancer off and inspect. Is this nessary being it did not come all of the way off and when it was running at the shop there was no "wobbile" it is an LS6 in a Z06 with 72,000 miles. If I have to remove it should I relpace it with an aftermarket one?
Attached Images    
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

For what it's worth, the same thing happened tomy 2000 LS1 several years ago.
Took it to a dealer who would not reuse the balancer and replaced it with a new one.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Replace it........it can cause a buch of damage better safe than sorry......
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Replace it........it can cause a buch of damage better safe than sorry......

Given that this is a known issue with the car, why mess around. Do it once, and correctly, and be done with it.

(secondly, in order to properly get the current, OE damper back in place, you'll need an installation tool. Just the bolt, won't cut it...)

Last edited by leadfoot4; 04-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Ok so I will replace it. What are thoughts on a 25% under drive?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would not reuse the balancer or the bolt. If its a new balancer or your old you have to use a balancer install tool, like the Hawk Balancer tool. You need a new bolt also, you can use stock but I would and did use the ARP bolt. To be able to reinstall the balancer you have to either drop the cradle or pull the steering rack. I pulled the rack. If your going to do all of that you might as well install a small cam, at least it makes it worth the time and effort.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Schubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree, i would replace the balancer and bolt, Mine is bad wobbling, but not loose, I like the reviews on the SLP underdrive Balancer.

ON the other hand, GM says you have to replace the crank bolt every time it is reused, I work at a GM dealer, and noone replaces the crank bolt, and have never had a problem. But like the others said better safe then sorry.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Schubs
Advanced

Oh if you are going to replace the balancer and it is leaking oil, you might as well replace the seal for the crank shaft, it would be a shame if after replacing the balancer and the seal leaked
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
The Void
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schubs
ON the other hand, GM says you have to replace the crank bolt every time it is reused, I work at a GM dealer, and noone replaces the crank bolt, and have never had a problem. But like the others said better safe then sorry.
Did you really just post that? Your service department probably charges people over 80 dollars/hour and then you jip people again by not replacing a 13 dollar torque to yeild bolt? I hope you go ahead and charge them as if you did. Where is the professionalism?

Stop posting while you're behind.

Last edited by The Void; 04-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have to agree, i would replace the balancer and bolt, Mine is bad wobbling, but not loose, I like the reviews on the SLP underdrive Balancer.

I thought the stockers were torque to yield bolts. What dealer do you work at so I know NEVER to go there.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I work at a GM dealer, and noone replaces the crank bolt, and have never had a problem.
Are you referring to Corvette or some other GM model?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Remind me to NEVER visit the dealership (STEALERSHIP) that you work at as they are either not properly GM trained, LAZY, STUPID, CROOKS or ALL FOUR!

That’s a TORQUE TO YEILD bolt and a one time use /mando replacement item. That’s just SAD!

OP

I have the POWER BOND Damper (25% under drive) and installed the REUSEABLE ARP Damper Bolt! YES you should remove the damper, inspect the crank snout and install a new damper seal, new damper and new bolt. If you use the new GM Damper Bolt,,, FOLLOW THE SERVICE MANUAL BOLT INSTALLATION PROCEDURE 100% or it will fail again!

Yes you have to remove or reposition the steering rack.

This isn’t a repair that can utilize a work around /shortcut fix!! Do it correctly of do it OVER & OVER & OVER AGAIN and possibly destroy the crank snout, timing chain cover ot rack housing. I’ve see all three failures. They are not cheap!.

BC
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I thought the stockers were torque to yield bolts. What dealer do you work at so I know NEVER to go there.
It's the same guy that says his balancer is "wobbling but not loose". What a tool!! It's wobbling because the bond between the elastometric band, and the inner and outer rings of the dampener, is getting ready to let go.

Ignore it for a while longer, then report back to us on how THAT works out!!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Of all of the bolts in your car this bolt is the most important. I had the Ridgid Strap wrench on the balancer and a 4 ft torque wrench and sometime I still worry.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree with Bill, we are both DoD, "by the book" is the way to go, always nice to see the postive QA reports come back

the SLP UD pulley "I believe" is a Powerbond pulley(made in Australia), used 100x here, dozens myself

Wether using the UD pulley or OEM, PIN THE PULLEY/CRANK

Every single C5/6 that uses a Supercharger will have the crank pulley PINNED, spend the 15 minutes and drill/pin during any crank pulley maintenance
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Sure we're experts.

We have re-tightened this gentleman's balancer bolt 19 times already!

Factory service manual? We don't need no steenking factory service manual!

I like the ATI pinning method with a keyed aftermarket balancer.

Ron
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Update

I had the shop remove and inspect the ballancer and re-install it with a new bolt. They removed the steering rack and sway bar completly. The bill was $550 including replacing the belts.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose ballancer bolt

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
I agree with Bill, we are both DoD, "by the book" is the way to go, always nice to see the postive QA reports come back

the SLP UD pulley "I believe" is a Powerbond pulley(made in Australia), used 100x here, dozens myself

Wether using the UD pulley or OEM, PIN THE PULLEY/CRANK

Every single C5/6 that uses a Supercharger will have the crank pulley PINNED, spend the 15 minutes and drill/pin during any crank pulley maintenance
I do this even it's NA.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Schubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It's the same guy that says his balancer is "wobbling but not loose". What a tool!! It's wobbling because the bond between the elastometric band, and the inner and outer rings of the dampener, is getting ready to let go.

Ignore it for a while longer, then report back to us on how THAT works out!!
Oh and my balancer has been wobbling since i bought it in 2009 And i am actually not a tool but whatever you want to infer from one comment i made is up to you.

Last edited by Schubs; 05-02-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Schubs
Advanced

Hey guy i never said I Dont replace them Personally like i said better safe than sorry, It is a Cadillac Dealership But we do have the CTS-V. I know that is not the correct method I was just saying they have never had an issue.

And your right I think a lot of **** that goes on at dealerships are bull ****, And for the guy that asked my dealership charges $165 an hour, they are crooks. Everyone there tries to find the fastest way to do a job cause it pays book hour.

I peosonally do everything to the book, like most guys dont torque anything, i do. I believe if some one is going to pay our outragious $165 an hour they deserve a quality job.

This is not just my dealer, it goes on everywhere.

Just like a 60k service back in the day was a good deal, not you pay like $700 for an oil change, tire rotation(of course not on staggered sizes), air filter, fuel filter(if the car even has an external one, more and more cars do not now a days), wiper blades, and a tank additive.

Last edited by Schubs; 05-02-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Loose ballancer bolt