C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing up some Stinger gossip

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 05:28 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearing up some Stinger gossip

One of the main functions of this forum is Product evaluation. Complaints from customers and vendors shouldn't go unnoticed just as good evaluations shouldn't be either. There has been some gossip about bad quality control by Borla, and the poor quality of thier XR Stinger system all after dozens of Forum members have raved about them. Like John Milton's concept of a "Market Place of Ideas" we should all throw out our opinions and the strongest will survive (w/o censorship). So here we go...

Since I've owned the Stingers longer than most, here is my opinion:

1. The build quality is first rate and the install was perfect while taking only 25 minutes to install

2. There IS resonance on the system. The overall findings by Stinger owners is that resonance kicks in at around 3200 rpms in most gears. If you cruise at that high of an RPM then sure there will be resonance...all exhaust are like that. You shouldn't drive around town at 4000rpms if you don't like resonance. The BIG SELLING POINT on the stingers is that they are quiet at low RPMs and get loud when you punch-it (some of us want that).

3. We all know about TeneciousD...his car resonates at lower RPM speed. I believe he also said he commutes at 70+ mph in 5th gear. 70+ in 5th gear is over 3200rpms in my car...off course it will resonate...shift into 6th for God sake (not aimed towards you TeneciousD) your commuting.

4. I bought mine from Nate, and haven't heard of any problems. Did everyone forget about the Borla Million mile warranty?

Summary from Stinger veteran:
If you don't like loud old man, don't by the Stingers your in the wrong target market. 1 out of 500 aint bad for QC. If you want to hear them and live near me let me know. Quit your cryin you sissys...if you sat in my 68 and heard that engine/exhaust you would **** your pants. Peace out...

RC... :lol: :jester :lol:
Old 05-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Joe C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (RCswish)

Good Points. I still plan to go with the Stinger System :D

Did that thread get deleted? I can't find it. I wanted to hear what Shawn had to say about everything.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:50 PM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (Joe C5 Coupe)

That thread is history. If you would like to e-mail me I will tell you my post as well as the originators post, but that's about it.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:53 PM
numtin
Instructor

i have had my stingers for a month [thanks to nate for the hookup] and i am VERY happy with them. i had them installed @ speedworks and they did a first rate job. my only problem is there not loud enough :) i dont understand why people are selling them, they grumble @ idle, and get loud when you get on it, whats not to like.

Old 05-20-2002, 06:00 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (numtin)

I am with you guys, I got what I wanted when I got the stingers. I know where the point of resonance is and just shift gears when I need to. I bought the mufflers to be loud and that is what I got. :cool:
Old 05-20-2002, 06:04 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (MilYellow02)

Well instead of having this post censored...I would like to hear any negative or positive feed back on the system and not a continuation of the last deleted post. If there is truely all these unspoken complaints about the poor quality of the system that my obviously nieve perception cannot conceive, I would like to hear them since this system does currently reside on my Corvette. If I am also encouraged by this forum to spend my hard earned money with the supporting vendors, I would also like to hear thier opinions on products along with the customer feedback they have recieved. These are all habits and curiousities of informed, educated, and loyal customers. If a mediator can intelligently debate with me of why I shouldn't be presented with all the ideas and opinions (while they are on topic) of a product I purchased, I am all ears. Otherwise, stay in the spirit of the John Milton idea of a "Market Place of Ideas" I would like to hear more comments on the XR Stinger system. :cheers:
Old 05-20-2002, 06:16 PM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

Well instead of having this post censored...I would like to hear any negative or positive feed back on the system and not a continuation of the last deleted post. If there is truely all these unspoken complaints about the poor quality of the system that my obviously nieve perception cannot conceive, I would like to hear them since this system does currently reside on my Corvette. If I am also encouraged by this forum to spend my hard earned money with the supporting vendors, I would also like to hear thier opinions on products along with the customer feedback they have recieved. These are all habits and curiousities of informed, educated, and loyal customers. If a mediator can intelligently debate with me of why I shouldn't be presented with all the ideas and opinions (while they are on topic) of a product I purchased, I am all ears. Otherwise, stay in the spirit of the John Milton idea of a "Market Place of Ideas" I would like to hear more comments on the XR Stinger system. :cheers:
Hello there fellow Stinger. My exhaust went on my car about 3 hours after yours I think :D I have an A4 and I switched from the Indy's with Pro-tips and I can say that I can't imagine ever having 4 tips back there. I loved the Corsa's, but since my Stingers were perfectly shiny and line up perfectly now and of course the sound is incredible, I could not be happier. On another note, I do believe we deserve to know what Shawn has to say and if we don't deserve it then I guess we don't need supporters, moderators or this forum
Old 05-20-2002, 07:09 PM
Bigtoe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (gnosys)

It appears that we have major censorship, as the entire thread was apparently deleted. I am trying to find out what the story is, but it is not proving to be easy. I would imagine there are a number of people who are more than a little distressed by seeing their collective efforts sent down the "memory hole." The leadership of this forum needs to explain what happened to the thread.
The only thing that needs to be explained to you is that if you have a problem with the administration of this forum, you have two choices:

1) take to email

or

2) be shown the door.

:mad
Old 05-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

There was a bunch of good information in that thread... Shame that the censor gods decided that the vendor bashing was cause for the entire thread's removal. Next time, don't you think you could just cut out the vendor bashing BS and leave the important information? Without that last thread, I never would've known that people were having ANY issues with their Stingers.
LAPD- can you give a possible future Stinger owner an estimate of the number of complaints/returns you had on the stingers before I buy them? IM me or post here- I'm not trying to flame.... I just want to get to the bottom of this...
Finally- if you've had returns- are there any discounts on the partially used ones? :jester
Old 05-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Patman36
Melting Slicks

I was one of the first to get their system from Shawn @ LAPD. The quality was amazing, no issues whatsoever. They went on without a hitch.

This system was supposed to be aggressive sounding... it definitely is. I don't have resonance really... it just gets loud. I am very happy with my exhaust system.

And like previously stated... Borla does have a million mile warrenty if there are quality issues.

Patrick :cheers:
Old 05-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

gnoysys - take it to email or lose posting rights. The orignal thread turned into a vendor bashing and vendor infighting thread. That brings the entire forum down.

We have kept this such a great place by strictly enforcing the rules. Vendor bashing is not allowed. Vendor infighting is not allowed.

You were fanning flames on the orignal thread. You are now at 25%. Don't vendor bash or attack the administration of this board on the board or you will be at 0%.

Feel free to discuss products all you want. As most everyone who really knows is aware, Corvetteforum is by far the Corvette forum with the least censorship.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:48 PM
VETTE2k
Drifting

I got my stingers from Shawn at LAPD, and I installed them myself using Rhino Ramps and a jack. The install took a couple hours, the hardest part was getting the stock system out from under the car. I JUST LOVE these stingers and yes they can get loud when you have your foot on the pedal, but that is why I got them to begin with. I do have some resonance in the 3000 RPM range, but its not all that bad, and with a 6 speed I can just shift into another gear. I didn't get in on the thread which was deleted, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. So here is a satisified LAPD Stinger customer.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:52 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (Troy Roberts)

Before the last thread was deleted, I posted all the pertinent info on how many systems were returned and I answered all the questions that were asked of us.

Shawn
Old 05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Good post. I switched off of the Corsa Indy's to the stingers, and I love
em! :D
Old 05-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

I will post my .02 worth on the Stingers since we are by far the biggest seller of the Stinger system.

We have sold 96 systems to date ( I had Mike total the sales). We have received 0 emails (customers wanting to return the system), 0 emails on resonance and 0 returns on the Stinger system since its release. BUT, as many members know, we do not sell product for the sake of profit only. We ask the customer the important questions BEFORE we sell the product. If an owner of an auto is asking about the Stingers, we try and relate the BIG possibilty of the system resonating in his car. We may suggest Corsa or Bassani for the car instead. We know those systems will not be returned because of resonance.

We have installed at least 5 systems here in town with NO quality issues at all. The systems line up everytime, necessary hardware is included and instructions are there. Borla is doing an exceptional job as far as the Stingers are concerned. The only thing we would suggest to Borla is make more systems and faster! The Stinger system stays on backorder and thats hard on the dealer as no customer likes to wait!!!

I want to say, the Stinger does resonate slightly on the 6spd cars, I tested one of the first systems for Borla, just for the record.

Please email us direct if we can help with questions or concerns.

Nate

[Modified by Nate@xtreme, 11:59 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 12:30 AM
TenaciousD
Pro

RCSwish, it's TenAciousD :) Not TeneciousD :)

I had resonance at 3500 and 2500, so I tried 6th at 2500, or 5th at 3500, or any combination of those, and it still got me, I was in a resonance trap! :eek: I'd bounce back and forth to no avail :) My car's wacky.

And 6th gear, while fuel efficient, drives me nuts cause the throttle's so dead in that gear, I'm driving a corvette dammit! :jester I have a 15mpg average and I'm proud of it!

Glad to see I'm famous now, maybe Borla will design a special resonance free Stinger for my car :cheers: :smash: :smash:

p.s. In case anyone's confused, it's not loudness that I had a problem with. I *LOVED* the loudness. It was the evil headache inducing drone! I admit, I miss the Stingers!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:58 AM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (TenaciousD)

My bad TenaciousD, I get to typing so fast and never check my spelling
:D You are famous though...sorta like a freak case study. I wonder if an X-pipe would have helped you? Anyhow glad you got your exhaust sorted out, I think you made the right choice. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Clearing up some Stinger gossip

Old 05-21-2002, 01:26 AM
TenaciousD
Pro

I thought the same thing with the X-pipe, so I threw a Magnaflow x-pipe on, it made the stingers quieter, but didn't help with the resonance, kind of the opposite of what I wanted to accomplish :) Ah well, maybe headers will make my ti exhaust sound better :) :cheers:

[Modified by TenaciousD, 12:27 AM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 01:27 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

Default Re: Clearing up some Stinger gossip (L.A.P.D.)

Before the last thread was deleted, I posted all the pertinent info on how many systems were returned and I answered all the questions that were asked of us.

Shawn
Thanks for responding to this thread :yesnod: Since the last thread was thrown in the ozone, can you please email me and tell me how many were returned to your store opposed to how many you have sold since day one

Thanks Shawn :cheers:
Old 05-21-2002, 02:30 AM
nevadacoin
Melting Slicks

Ditto...Shawn.. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Clearing up some Stinger gossip