Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page >

Would this X-Pipe actually help with Power?

Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this X-Pipe actually help with Power?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,038 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The stock H pipe on our C5's is a very POOR attempt at achieving the benefit of a true balance pipe. GM Failed in that procedure

The actual hole that is CRUDELY cut into the two exhaust pipes is no bigger than the size of a quarter. There have been reports that the size and crude shape of the hole causes cavatation at various exhaust velocities and causes a unique noise that sounds like keys jiggling. There was a Technical Service Bulletin that explained it and directed the dealer what to do about it.

I took care of it the easy way.... I changed out the entire exhaust system on my ZO6.

The X pipe doesn't really add much power as much as it helps remove some of the babble and gurgle that we get in our exhaust on deceleration.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
lionelhutz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FuglyHippo View Post
Why?
You're reasoning that the X-pipe giving a straight shot for the exhaust to pass to the other side makes the best placement is wrong.

I'm certainly not an exhaust engineer, but building the exhaust to provide the most scavanging seems to provide the most power. I believe the ideal placement has something to do with the flow velocity in the pipe. Something like the location with the highest flow velocity and then the exhaust pulse in one side "pulls" on the other side.

Finally, posting a picture of the XSpower system as "proof" that the X-pipe should be at the headers doesn't mean much. The LG systems make good power and their X-pipe is about 1/2 way down the mid-pipe after the cats. I have XSPower headers and I would expect their design doesn't help the midrange power as much as possible with the shorter tubes compared to some other headers. Sometimes the X is just put where it's easy to place.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,038 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
You're reasoning that the X-pipe giving a straight shot for the exhaust to pass to the other side makes the best placement is wrong.

I'm certainly not an exhaust engineer, but building the exhaust to provide the most scavanging seems to provide the most power. I believe the ideal placement has something to do with the flow velocity in the pipe. Something like the location with the highest flow velocity and then the exhaust pulse in one side "pulls" on the other side.

Finally, posting a picture of the XSpower system as "proof" that the X-pipe should be at the headers doesn't mean much. The LG systems make good power and their X-pipe is about 1/2 way down the mid-pipe after the cats. I have XSPower headers and I would expect their design doesn't help the midrange power as much as possible with the shorter tubes compared to some other headers. Sometimes the X is just put where it's easy to place.
American Racing Headers was the designer of the X pipe in that location... I know that Nick at ARH spent hundred of hours perfecting it and it works and works well! So,, theres some science behind the placement ay that area in the ARH system.

To properly place a X, H or what ever balance pipe, you have to find a location in the exhaust pipe/s where the cylinder pulses resonate. I read an article where an engineer put a stripe of crayon on the two exhaust pipes. The places where the wax burns off first are the desired spots to place a cross over..

I don't have the time, equipment or cash to design an exhaust so, I let the experts do it and purchase their products. Some how that a lot less money.

I'm sure GM put the H pipe where it is for a reason and it made some sort of a difference in performance, efficiency or sound. Other wise,, it would be there ($$$$$$)

Will inserting an X pipe in that exact same location help, hurt or just waste time and cash. WHO KNOWS.

I do know that just adding an X pipe does change the sound of the exhaust note for the better (IMHO)

Bill
Old 04-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Got uid0
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
Your reasoning for how to place the X-pipe is wrong. Typically, further back than right afte the headers is better.
What brought you to that conclusion?

I have always known that an x-pipe right after the collectors improves scavenging .

Why would you think having an x-pipe further away from the cylinders would cause it to work "better".

Last edited by Got uid0; 04-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would this X-Pipe actually help with Power?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: