C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Thanks. I will try that.

I'm also going to try Techron. But since I had just filled up my gas, I guess it's either I find a shop that can take fuel out-put Techron-fuel in. Are there shops who do this? If so, what would be appropriate charge?

Otherwise, I'll be driving and monitoring my trip miles until I had about 220 miles. Sucks that the gauge is not working.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Threed
Burning Brakes

You don't need to empty the tank before you add Tecron. Just top off the tank and add the bottle and clear the active codes. I have done this many times without issue. It will mix rather fast in the tanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Check AutoZone and Advance - they're usually running 2 for 1 sales....
Detroit area Advance no 2 for 1.
Haven't checked out Autozone.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
MrDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by VetteLog
Care to share how you deleted the code?
Sorry, i just saw your response. I had a friend of mine with a code reader that they use at any auto parts store plug it in to my computer and remove it as he would have any other code. Nothing special that I know of. I would try what Painter suggested.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I would agree that you should definitely go ahead and put the bottle of Techron in now even if both tanks are full. You will likely need two or three future applications of Techron anyway to resolve all of your fuel gauge issues.

However, on the next and all subsequentfuture applications I would recommend following the Chevron guidelines and put the Techron in when the fuel onboard is low. There is not all that much mixing between the left and right tanks unless I am misreading the fuel system schematics.

In fact, if these two or three applications don't full resolve the issues, try to add another full bottle when your tank is down about 1/4 and then quickly top it off to help get more of the Techron additive into the right tank.

I always use the larger size bottle of Techron that treats up to 20 gals and I always use Chevron gas with Techron. Texaco also has Techron if Chevron isn't available.

Good luck.

Last edited by B747VET; 06-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM
concretepoleman
1st Gear

Thank you for the great advice Painter306. I don't know how much money I spent on Techron fuel additive but your worthy advice on removing the code P1416 worked. I wish I had seen your post sooner. Dealer told me it would be at least $800 because they have to remove both gas tanks (what scam artists).

FYI, When ever I filled up I would put a bottle of Techron in with the new gas. I thought it was working because the gauge would go from empty to full when, in fact, the gauge worked on one of the tanks and when the gauge got to half full the needle would drop to empty.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Hi All!
What I dont get is I only use Chevron premium with "Techron" and my gauge still did the all of a sudden went to empty thing. Why should I ever have to put more Techron in the tank if Chevron says they already have it in the gas? Especially how much Chevron gas cost.
I put SeaFoam in the tank, problem solved.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Techron concentration in Chevron or Texaco muss less

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi All!
What I dont get is I only use Chevron premium with "Techron" and my gauge still did the all of a sudden went to empty thing. Why should I ever have to put more Techron in the tank if Chevron says they already have it in the gas? Especially how much Chevron gas cost.
I put SeaFoam in the tank, problem solved.
Have had same problem for years. Dealer replaced sending unit first.
2 years later reoccured. Even using Chevron or Texaco I still will get zero guage problem about once a year. Then a couple of bottles of Techron or Seafoam in the tank when filling up will eventually do the trick. Doesn't happen overnight. Thank you GM engineers for giving me a way to squander my money.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Going along with what ZeeOSix said...you can cycle through your codes while your car is moving. You dont have to be sitting idle. Also if your guage drops to "E" like that while your cruising, simply reset it and it will go back up until it "fails" again. You should be able to keep it functioning long enough to get the fuel mileage you have left to A: either get home or B: get to a parts store.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Update,

So I was able to remove the code thanks to Painter306 (who I shall vote as President in the coming elections ).

Then added the Techron and drove for 10 miles. Did not come back yet.

I've also thought that maybe it was the time when I wan not able to tighten the fuel tank cap that the code came on in the first place. (Btw, I've read that fuel caps is also an issue with C5 and even C6, not sure of prior models).

I will drive the car some more and if it did not come back (hoping), then it might be the cap thing. Though I would not discount the chance that Techron did the job as well.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I get this fairly regularly, but ONLY around 1/2 tank. Maybe like 50/50 or a bit less of fill ups. So if it triggers, and I reset codes to restore gauge function, I won't see it again until I fill up and get back down to around half a tank. Just a heads up to those who have driven a short distance and have not had it come back.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 AM
BMERETR
Keep The Shiny Sine Up
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was caused by a small amount of grit in the passangers side tank and it blocked the very small opening for the syphon jet pump on that side
i have a 2002 z and only used chevron it happened anyway
its not hard to clean but it will require draining the passenger side tank and removing the float / pump housing
use compressed air to clean it out and re install

thats what i needed to do
fuel cleaners just could not clean the blockage i had
Good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPhelps
I get this fairly regularly, but ONLY around 1/2 tank. Maybe like 50/50 or a bit less of fill ups. So if it triggers, and I reset codes to restore gauge function, I won't see it again until I fill up and get back down to around half a tank. Just a heads up to those who have driven a short distance and have not had it come back.
Here's my update.

CPhelps this is exactly what has happened. It came back at halftime. I'm now in process of testing if I could still drive it up to almost empty or willl it halt me in the middle of a road due to gas pump not working. So, I'm now driving with a container of 2 gallons of gasoline and 1 Techron just in case I get stuck on the road.

Reason why I want to test this is if it allows me to reach close to empty, then I know the pump is working and it's the sensor that is corroded/malfunctioning.

Right now I'd say I'm 40% full. Keeping fingers crossed.

Happy 4th of July buds.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to try the Chevron gas and Techron and Seafoam solutions but if all fails try using Stabil gas stabilizer. I started using it when all the aforementioned solutions didn't do the trick and the falling gas gauge problem went away and hasn't returned since '01. I use the stabilizer each winter season and I think that it sitting in the tanks over the winter helps dissolve the deposits that clog up the cross-over line. Its worth a try if all else fails.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with the use of Techron. I also try not to have the fuel level go below 1/4 tank and let the car sit for over a week. If I know that the vette will be sitting for awhile I make sure that the tank is full. Don't know what this does but seems to help keep the problem from happening.

Had to go to an auto store todayn so I bought some today. There are 2 kinds: Fuel System Cleaner and Fuel Injector Cleaner. I think the Fuel System Cleaner works better for the gas gauge problem so that'sm what I use.

Last edited by napacruzerc5; 07-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM
bkalkwarf
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '12

I have had this problem chronically as well. After several years of using Techron monthly and only Top Tier gas (Google it), I can't remember the last time my gauge went blank. Just have some patience and pickup several bottles of Techron every time it goes on sale - that stuff is pricey. I also got really accustomed to using the trip odometer instead of the gas gauge. As an old Harley guy, it was easy to pick this up again.

I also use Sta-bil over the winter, as mentioned here. Maybe that has helped too.

Lastly, I have noticed this happens often as a result of heat. On the Hot Rod Power Tour, my gauge would often go dead after a few hours on the road. Pulling over, and restarting the engine usually brought the gauge back online - even if only for a few minutes. No problems on the Power Tour this year though.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Update:

So I 've gotten my fuel down to about 1/4 level. This happened without the car stalling/dying on me on the road. So to me this meant, my 2 fuel tanks are pumping/working. Also, the "fuel sensor level 2" code has not resurfaced from the last time, which was when my fuel hit 1/2 level.

Put on Techron and pumped in fuel (13 gallons) to hit full tank. Started the engine and saw my gauge go on a little past "F". Will use it until it hits 1/4 level again and will report back if the code comes back on.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel gauge stopped working

Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
smithd7
Instructor

Just a quick question, am I right that the fuel sender is in the left side tank? And that when adding fuel additives you should wait till the left tank is a least 1/2 MT ?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
bkalkwarf
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '12

Everything I've read references that each tank has a separate sending unit - and I have anecdotal evidence of that. A few times, my gauge has instantly bounced from 100% full to 50% full, or 80% to 40%.

Read this excellent article that Bob (Quick Silver Z) posted:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576030473-post9.html
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
smithd7
Instructor

Thanks so much for that link,that article explained everything about the fuel tanks that I was looking for.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge stopped working