C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything wrong with Flowmasters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
I really, really, really doubt that mufflers alone would give a 10% increase in HP on any car. On the C5s, they are good for maybe 3-5hp.
This is straight off the Jeg's Web site:

Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It's also funny that when a question such as "Is there anything wrong with Flowmasters" is asked that the response doesn't answer the question. I didn't ask what would be better than Flowmasters, just if there would be anything wrong with using them.
Why would you ask if there is something "wrong" with them? Theyre made for the C5 right? So they should bolt up. Flowmaster has been around a long time so no one is gonna understand your question as whats is wrong with the brand itself. Naturally people are going to think youre asking about peformance and quality. What would be wrong with them other than going with a different setup for sound or performance reasons? If you like them so much, why even ask? There are millions of flowmaster mufflers out there and the way you talk about the price of parts it doesnt sound like youll be modding the car anytime soon so obviously horsepower aint the issue. Just get them already and buy a six pack with the money you saved.

Last edited by C5Natie; 05-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

30hp? Lol! Dont we all wish
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

This is straight off the Jeg's Web site:

I hope you don't believe everything you read. Real world testing has already proven that they don't produce that much extra power. Corsa only claims 10-11hp so I find it very, very hard to believe that Flowmaster found 20 more hp than Corsa.

Last edited by chaase; 05-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Why would you ask if there is something "wrong" with them? Theyre made for the C5 right? So they should bolt up. Flowmaster has been around a long time so no one is gonna understand your question as whats is wrong with the brand itself. Naturally people are going to think youre asking about peformance and quality. What would be wrong with them other than going with a different setup for sound or performance reasons? If you like them so much, why even ask? There are millions of flowmaster mufflers out there and the way you talk about the price of parts it doesnt sound like youll be modding the car anytime soon so obviously horsepower aint the issue. Just get them already and buy a six pack with the money you saved.
Corvettes are touchy. I wanted to make sure that going with Flowmasters wouldn't affect anything else that would require additional parts, work, etc. I thought it was farily intelligent to check before just jumping blindly into something I was unsure about.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by chaase
I hope you don't believe everything you read. Real world testing has already proven that they don't produce that much extra power. Corsa only claims 10-11hp so I find it very, very hard to believe that Flowmaster found 20 more hp than Corsa.
No, I don't, but then Flowmaster's own literature says it gives a 10% increase, and most companies, especially those as big as Jeg's, don't want to get nailed by the FTC for false advertising, not to mention class action lawsuits.

Don't blame me for what they say. I just repeated it. Odds are that the actual benefit is closer to what they say than not.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by DIXZ
I am old school and have always loved the sound of Flowmasters!

I have the Force II system on my car, and couldn't be happier!
Did you have to do anything other than just straight bolt-on, so to speak?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the easiest installs I have ever done! The tips aligned absolutely dead nuts on.

My car has no drone what so ever, and my friends C5 427 has absolutely no drone!

I went from a stock TI muffler to a TI bypass to this and I expect to die with this system on my car. I have yet to hear a system I like better.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

No, I don't, but then Flowmaster's own literature says it gives a 10% increase, and most companies, especially those as big as Jeg's, don't want to get nailed by the FTC for false advertising, not to mention class action lawsuits.
Seriously? Hey, on a differnt note....PM me your number, I would like to talk to you about a interesting investment opportunity.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

I really liked my Flowmasters on the Vette when I had them on -

Eventually I got rid of them because a baffle came loose in them - I have heard this be the case for a few owners - but if getting them new you should be good for a long time!

And they sound real good with the LS1 motors and other mods !

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Zeds dead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pm superman09 and get set up with a xs power system.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

That might happen in a couple years or so, which would be the amount of time required for me to save up the couple thousand it would cost to purchase the headers, X pipe, and used (no warranty) exhaust system, and have them installed. In the meantime, $250 sounds a lot better than $2000+. I'm also still not seeing what the big benefit is aside from the weight. I live in Texas. Cars don't rust here.

Also, I didn't pay $35k for my Vette, and it was $47k new on the sticker according to its records. A C5 coupe is certainliy not worth $35k either.
The $35k number was just a reference number not meant to be dead on... and of course I know your C5 coupe isnt worth even $25k. Now, on the $2000. for a used exhaust system... LOL!!! I bought my TPIS headers, Random Tech Hi flow Cats and Random Tech X Pipe for $700. right here on this forum!! So maybe a little more investigating might help you. And for the record, there is nothing wrong with Flowmasters products. I run a pair of 40 series on my 98 Chevy pick up and they sound great. Lastly, lighten up man... you asked for opinions and you got them. Bolt on whatever you like on your car, its your car.....
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

30hp - That is a pipe dream. It's not going to happen. 10-12 rwhp is about the most you can expect from the best complete aftermarket C5 "catback" exhaust system. You're showing a muffler only and besides, Flowmaster baffled mufflers would likely be more restrictive than a more straight through design.

Warranty - Seriously? I doubt you can collect on any possible Flowmaster warranty once they are installed.

If you think you'll like the sound then get them and install them. There is no other reason to use them besides liking the sound. The car will still work fine with just about any reasonable catback change you can make so I wouldn't worry about that. Changing the rear piping and mufflers just doesn't cause enough of a change to throw-off the fuel injection.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-31-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

people on a tight budget have always figured out how to beat the system and get the same thing that others have paid much more for at a lower price

good luck with the 30hp increase drownmasters
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Corvettes are touchy. I wanted to make sure that going with Flowmasters wouldn't affect anything else that would require additional parts, work, etc. I thought it was farily intelligent to check before just jumping blindly into something I was unsure about.
I didn't know Corvettes were .... touchy

must be because it's so easy to add hp from installing mufflers

sorry

Last edited by printmanjackson; 05-31-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't blame me for what they say. I just repeated it. Odds are that the actual benefit is closer to what they say than not.
It's not false advertising. Misleading advertising. 30hp - I can maybe see that if we're talking about a 1000hp car, switching from stock (maybe even a broken stock muffler) to a flowmaster. But on a stock, or even simple heads/cam car, it's probably more like -5 to 5 hp. I don't know the design of the non-Ti mufflers, but I know that the internals of a flowmaster is junk.

If you're buying parts based on manufacture HP claims... oh boy.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Don't sweat the rust thing. Aluminized exhaust tubing (steel with a light Oxidized Aluminum coating) is the industry standard, it will be many many years before you have to worry about them rusting out, no matter where you live. If your car is garage kept as most Corvettes are, it's a non-issue.
I have to disagree with that. It is not industry standard for performance aftermarket exhausts. It is the exception and only found on cheap exhaust systems. The "industry standard" is 300 or 400 series stainless steel. Even cheap cars now come with stainless steel mufflers.

They will rust out and it will happen faster than you think. It's just that most owners don't realize the damage until they start to hear rattling. That's because the first parts to go are the baffles on the inside of the mufflers. This will happen quicker with owners that do not drive their cars frequently or on very short trips.

In the end, the OP seems to have made up his mind and will probably buy them. But at least he is now better informed. You get what you pay for. There is a price for quality.

Last edited by Cybermind; 05-31-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anything wrong with Flowmasters?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
people on a tight budget have always figured out how to beat the system and get the same thing that others have paid much more for at a lower price

good luck with the 30hp increase drownmasters
What part of "no I don't believe it" don't you understand? Feel free not to act like a jackass and please move on to the next thread. Obviously my initial question is too complicated for you to understand, so take it elsewhere junior.

School must be out.....
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by DIXZ
One of the easiest installs I have ever done! The tips aligned absolutely dead nuts on.

My car has no drone what so ever, and my friends C5 427 has absolutely no drone!

I went from a stock TI muffler to a TI bypass to this and I expect to die with this system on my car. I have yet to hear a system I like better.

Best of luck with your decision!
Thank you for this response, and thanks for answering the question. It's good to know that there are at least a few grownups around.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cybermind
They will rust out and it will happen faster than you think. It's just that most owners don't realize the damage until they start to hear rattling. That's because the first parts to go are the baffles on the inside of the mufflers. This will happen quicker with owners that do not drive their cars frequently or on very short trips.
As I said before, I live in Texas. Things don't rust here unless you leave them sitting in a field for a few decades.

Originally Posted by Cybermind
In the end, the OP seems to have made up his mind and will probably buy them. But at least he is now better informed. You get what you pay for. There is a price for quality.
Actually, no, I haven't. The only thing I have made up mind about is NOT to do what everyone else does. I'm not a sheep.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 05-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Anything wrong with Flowmasters?