C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM
AWSOME 04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Change Question

I'm getting ready to change my battery in my 04.

I read in Corvette Fever where if you plug a 9 volt battery into the cigarette lighter, this will retain the voltage and keep your memory settings.

Is this necessary?

Thanks,
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Its NOT necessary but, it will let you maintain the MEMORY SETTINGS and some of the emission tuning stiuff.

If you need to go to the EMISSIONS STATION in the very near future, it would be a good idea to do that. If you disconnect the main battery, the emissions functions will NOT BE READY until you complete a number of drive cycles.

When you disconnect the battery, you reset the following stuff back to the factory default settings:

Fuel mileage
Memory Setting for your seats and stuf
HUD Settings
Long Term Fuel Trims
Clock Settings

Nothing improtant will be changed.

If I need to retain power when I change batteries, i just use jumper cables from another car and connect it to chassis ground and the POSITIVE cable to the B+ connection on the fuse box in the engine compartment.

I did it for the purpose of retaining the emissions status. Other wise, I wouldnt have messed with it! The car will relearn it all in short order and you can reset the memory stuff.

BC
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Its NOT necessary but, it will let you maintain the MEMORY SETTINGS and some of the emission tuning stiuff.

If you need to go to the EMISSIONS STATION in the very near future, it would be a good idea to do that. If you disconnect the main battery, the emissions functions will NOT BE READY until you complete a number of drive cycles.

When you disconnect the battery, you reset the following stuff back to the factory default settings:

Fuel mileage
Memory Setting for your seats and stuf
HUD Settings
Long Term Fuel Trims
Clock Settings

Nothing improtant will be changed.

If I need to retain power when I change batteries, i just use jumper cables from another car and connect it to chassis ground and the POSITIVE cable to the B+ connection on the fuse box in the engine compartment.

I did it for the purpose of retaining the emissions status. Other wise, I wouldnt have messed with it! The car will relearn it all in short order and you can reset the memory stuff.

BC
Good information Bill!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to re-key your FOB if you pull your battery. Go to Walmart and pick up a "NOCO Settings Keeper" Part no. BTE296.. It is a 9volt battery that connects to your cigarette ligher and keeps your settings when you pull the battery. Good luck.

Everything else will be fine after you drive 50 miles, the memory will log it's cycles..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
You will have to re-key your FOB if you pull your battery. Go to Walmart and pick up a "NOCO Settings Keeper" Part no. BTE296.. It is a 9volt battery that connects to your cigarette ligher and keeps your settings when you pull the battery. Good luck.

Everything else will be fine after you drive 50 miles, the memory will log it's cycles..
My fobs have never lost sync while changing batteries... Even if they do it's a very simple 15 second procedure to resync them.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
My fobs have never lost sync while changing batteries... Even if they do it's a very simple 15 second procedure to resync them.
I had no problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had the battery OUT of my 02 Z for 8 months and the fob worked fine when I reinstalled it.

BC
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis

Not on mine.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
AWSOME 04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm going to go ahead and use the 9 volt battery as I'm just too lazy to reset everything.

I really appreciate everyone's response.

You'll notice that I didn't bring up anything about battery brands. I'm not going to open up that an of worms.

Thanks very much!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Change Question

Quick Reply: Battery Change Question