C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5 Won't Start

My C5 is dead in the garage. The DIC shows 11.7 volts, the radio works but it will not engage the starter. After going from ON to START there is a click and the dash lights and DIC go OFF.

I have it on a wimpy charger now but something tells me this may be something other than a bad battery.

I had the starter replaced about six months ago.

Dick
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove both battery cables and check for corrosion. My did the same thing. These cars are VERY sensitive to voltage.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen batteries with a bad or "dead" cell that would still register close to 12V but not have the amperage to crank the motor. I vote for a bad battery. If it's a side terminal, the corrosion would have to be pretty bad to not carry the current. A quick check of that would be to slightly loosen the terminal bolts and wiggle the connectors back and forth, then retighten.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
I've seen batteries with a bad or "dead" cell that would still register close to 12V but not have the amperage to crank the motor. I vote for a bad battery. If it's a side terminal, the corrosion would have to be pretty bad to not carry the current. A quick check of that would be to slightly loosen the terminal bolts and wiggle the connectors back and forth, then retighten.
I had this happen to my 02. Dealership showed 12v when they did an initial test, but wouldn't start. They did a stress type test and showed a bad cell. It is likely a bad battery. Take it to and AutoZone or similar parts store and have them to a complete test on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

After you check all the basic stuff like fuses and connections, Get the meter out and start troubleshooting. The Theft Deterent Relay (TDR) is where you start. Check the 60 Amp fuse and make sure that you have 12 VDC on the large red wire. When the ignition is placed to start the PURPLE wire should have battery voltage on it to energize the starter solenoid.

The other side of the TDR is the low current control side.

Heres the schematic that you need:

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-18-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Click=bad battery amperage
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VinnyT
Remove both battery cables and check for corrosion. My did the same thing. These cars are VERY sensitive to voltage.
I pulled the battery and took it to Batteries Plus. They ran a check and said it had plenty of cranking amp to turn over the car. No shorts the battery checked okay.

The terminals were not corroded. I have called the wrecker to take it back to the shop that replaced the starter the last time this happened.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dickkriss
My C5 is dead in the garage. The DIC shows 11.7 volts, the radio works but it will not engage the starter. After going from ON to START there is a click and the dash lights and DIC go OFF.

I have it on a wimpy charger now but something tells me this may be something other than a bad battery.

Dick
If the battery can only supply 11.7 V with no load, then you probably will only have a fraction of that when you turn the key to the on position. The battery needs to be able to maintain a minimum of about 11.5 V to 12 V for the PCM and other components to function, while at the same time supply a couple hundred amps to the starter. Much below 11.5 V and your electronic components will decide to take a nap.

Have the battery professionally tested as already suggested. While the battery is out check your cables. Also, don't forget the various ground straps from the battery to the chassis and from the chassis to the engine. Just 'cause they appear to be tight is not good enough. Take 'em apart, inspect them for corrosion & arcing, hit 'em with a wire brush and reassemble.

If the battery and the connections test OK and the problem persists, you'll need to determine why the battery is being run down. Depending on your circumstances, you may have a quiescent draw, or the alternator may not be up to snuff. One thing at a time, though!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default won't start

If you found the fix could U add the resolve to this thread please...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3183336

thnx
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes! It would be very nice to know how things turned out and the solution to your problem. Inquiring minds want to know !!!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dickkriss

Dick
After three (3) rides on a wrecker because it would not start, it is finally fixed. It should have been fixed the first time by the place that replaced the starter. I had it towed back and they could not get it start and gave up and then towed it to the Chevy dealer. The dealer charged the battery and said it was good. I replaced the battery and the next morning it would not start was was towed back to the dealership.

This time the GM tech found the wire going to the solenoid was corroded. He cut off the connect, solder on a new one and it is fixed and has been starting fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
My vote is for a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including the one at the starter. Take the battery to your favorite part store and have it tested. Most do that free. While it's out check all connections for damage and corrosion.

It was not corroded batty connection. It was a corroded connector on the wire attached to the solenoid and NONE of the high the instruments could isolate the problem. You were right with corrosion

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Won't Start

Quick Reply: C5 Won't Start