C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 PM
TexasVette64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing speakers

I just replaced the rear and front speaker in my C5. I replaced the Bose with the Infinity Kappa's and the mids and highs now sound amazing. My question is: How do you replace the 8" sub in the door? I want to keep a sub in the door and am not looking to add a sub in the back. Can you just plug a aftermarket sub to the amp that is stock? If not what would one need in order to adapt a aftermarket sub to the stock amp? Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to post this in the audio section instead of the tech. Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM
TexasVette64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I went thru this with my car---After spending tons of wasted $$ -Finally realised that you can't add a sub and amp to the Bose system--It just never works correctly--No power and crappy sound--I eventually added a new receiver (sony) There are cheap these days --online for around $150 and include Front USB/ satellite radio/CD player--
I added a 10 box in the rear and an amp---Good news is that all your old Bose stuff is easiily re-saleable and I actually came out ahead in $$
My stuff is not high end in but middle---
There is also a hidden small amp in the Bose system under the dash by the heater controls that run the rear speakers--The in door speakers have a combination speaker and amp unit--You can simply re-wire your system to bypass the rear speaker amp and use the existing rear speakers as well if you choose to run a new receiver--or a new amp
PS: You idea of replacing the door speakers for a sub-wofer and wiring it to the door amps isn't good either as the door location is just too small for any reasonablly sized Sub---Even an 8" wouldn't fit without hacking the door panel to shreads--Plus the magnets on the subs need more depth to fit just not enough room---
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Take the above advice. A moderate tuner and just bite the bullet and put a 10in sub in the back.

You'll thank me everytime you drive the car.

Check with Dennis at DDMODS here. He has some very well priced stuff and can keep it as simple as you want.

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dennis over at DDMods has a bolt in uprade (I believe).. I have no first hand knowledge of its quality.. but if Dennis says its a good thing... then hell.. its a good thing!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing speakers

Quick Reply: Replacing speakers