C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent turn signal problem

Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Intermittent turn signal problem

I have noticed over the past month or so the turn signals will stop working for a period of anywhere from 10 sec to 2 minutes. Then they start working again and continue to do so for days before the same thing will happen. Sounds like either a short or ground problem but I really have no idea if that would be the problem or not. Anyone have any idea's or experienced this before?
Thanks
Mark
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your hazard switch is gone. The part is about $30, and takes about 4-5 hrs to install. It's pretty straightforward. The contacts on the switch are either dirty or worn out. I would replace it to be sure. You'll have to remove the center console, radio bezel, and radio to get to it. There is also a DIY thread here on the forum as well. The dealer wants btwn $300-400 to install. It took me about 4 hrs to do. You'll smile over the money you kept in your pocket.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Default Not too bad

I seems like a good place to start. I agree with the 4 hour estimate with the beer after each step.
I had to replace the HUD bezel about 2 months ago and had to do all this plus the dash so unfortunately I have been here before. Wish I would have been having this problem then so I could have got it when I was already in there. Oh well, maybe it will go easier because I will know what to expect.
Thanks for the help and the step by step instructions. The switch removal itself looks tricky and patience is not my best quality so it should be a fun day.
Thanks again
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It does sound like the hazard switch is going bad. But 4 hours is a bit much. Perhaps previous poster needed a beer between each step.

Here is a thread with Pics about changing it and it took 1 hour:

http://www.kd5fx.com/HSwitch/HSwitch.htm
Your right. Straightforward I would have done it in a bout an hour and a half.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

BTW nice looking Z06 Darryl!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elizabeth City Vette
BTW nice looking Z06 Darryl!
Thank you sir. You're not driving too shabby yourself.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
tacman
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Hazard Switch

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Your right. Straightforward I would have done it in a bout an hour and a half.
This may be the problem....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583855005-post12.html
Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Thanks Tacman, that looks like that is simpler than the the standard method. I think that is worth a try!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:44 PM
TXVette435
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tacman, that looks like that is simpler than the the standard method. I think that is worth a try!

Go to Autozone, buy electronic relay with socket ($12.00) and do the bypass under the sterring wheel. You will have turn signals set for LEDs if you'll decide later. By the way warning swith will work fine, it affects only turn signals. Known C5 problem. I have this in my and my sons vette for over 2 years with no problems. Total cost $12 bucks + your work. If you did some job under the dash and console , it will take you about a hour or less. This is the best way to fix this C5 chronic problem for good.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Hello;

Here's how to do a flasher bypass.

Pick up an electronic flasher and a connector for it. I didn't see a flasher connector but there was a 3-wire headlight pigtail that would work just as well.

Then, pull out the extra wire and you're ready to go.

The white connector is the one you need to get to. This connector is directly under the ignition switch. The picture is taken sideways. The end of the conector with the paper tags around it goes to the hazard switch and is the side you need to work on.

So unplug it.
Cut the purple wire. Cap off the end going to the hazard switch.
Connect one wire from the flasher to the plug end of the purple wire.
Splice the other wire from the flasher to the pink wire. Do not cut the pink wire.

My flasher had a X terminal and it said on the case to fuse the X terminal. So, I connected the X terminal to the pink wire and the other terminal to the purple wire. You can hold the wire ends into the other side of the conector to test the flasher before you install anything.

Plug the connector back in, install the flasher and test it.

If it works, put the car back together and you're done. If it doesn't work, you could possibly have the wires to the flasher backwards so carefully remove the side wire from the connector and plug it into the other side so you can turn the flasher around.

Peter

PS. If someone wants to they can take this and put it into the electrical sticky or copy it to their website for future reference.

Last edited by TXVette435; 05-19-2013 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kh400 (09-27-2020)
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM
johnjupin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the insulation for under the console? Heat or noise?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You are welcome to call me and I can discuss your options and even 2 more that no one has covered. Will PM you with my number.

Remember, any bypass like shown here still does not remove the other Hazard switch contacts from the circuit. I have dealt with at least one case where the flasher switch power input contact was a problem. NOT the actual flasher in the Hazard switch. Refer to where pin "C" provides power in the schematic.

The following users liked this post:
gnharley (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 PM
gnharley
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is making a kinda sorta "buzzing, squeaking" noise as well when it starts intermittently working (I feel like the People in the Aamco commercial) does this sound like the same problem ? You DA MAN dadaroo !

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent turn signal problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent turn signal problem