C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some more input..lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Default need some more input..lol

well my transmission guy called me back today and gave me a list of what I need for my t56 z06 trans
* bearings ( he said they are not needed but would recommend them)
* 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th three piece carbon / kevlar synchronizer ring assemblies kit
* billet keys( what is the common keys they replace meaning the whole transmission or just 1-4 ?
* bronze fork pads ( I am guessing a set of 8 to do the whole transmission)
and 3rd to 4th slider

any ideal where I can get these from thanks,

ryan
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,,,,, seeing that you have entrusted this shop to do your rebuild/repair,, Unless you do what he wants you to, if ANYTHING goes wrong short of stupidity, the shop will be hard pressed to be responsible for the re repair.... SHOP "I recommended that you replace XYZ and you didn't!! NOT OUR FAULT!!!"

Bearing replacement,,, A lot depends on what failed, accumulated miles, maintenance,,, ect. If the trans had 20,000 miles and the reverse synchro failed,, NO,, Keep the OEM Brgs.

If you had 150,000 miles and multiple synchro failures, lots of metal, debris in the trans fluid and it was noisy, probably YES, replace them.

Billet keys and bronze pads are par for the course if you want to beat the unit hard. You didn't discuss your intended use, engine HP and driving habits. What about a hardened output shaft??

Sliders and synchros,, YES!

Bill
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,,,,,,,,,,,, seeing that you have entrusted this shop to do your rebuild/repair,, Unless you do what he wants you to, if ANYTHING goes wrong short of stupidity, the shop will be hard pressed to be responsible for the re repair.... SHOP "I recommended that you replace XYZ and you didn't!! NOT OUR FAULT!!!"

Bearing replacement,,, A lot depends on what failed, accumulated miles, maintenance,,, ect. If the trans had 20,000 miles and the reverse synchro failed,, NO,, Keep the OEM Brgs.

If you had 150,000 miles and multiple synchro failures, lots of metal, debris in the trans fluid and it was noisy, probably YES, replace them.

Billet keys and bronze pads are par for the course if you want to beat the unit hard. You didn't discuss your intended use, engine HP and driving habits. What about a hardened output shaft??

Sliders and synchros,, YES!

Bill
that is what I am thinking on the bearings ..and he a very good guy, I trust him 100% with my transmission,i will ask him again on his thoughts on why he wanted to replace the bearings, we did discuss my future endeavors, which I will add the hardened output shaft, as far as my driving habits , maybe a few passes down the 1/4. and maybe a few more auto x , that is about all..its mostly a cruise around town car.i cant for the life of me find new axel seals ..gm parthouse says' they are n/a..and side note bill you are awesome for all the input thus far!

Get notified of new replies

To need some more input..lol

Quick Reply: need some more input..lol