C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default headlight assembly

How many bolts (nuts) do I need to remove to take out the headlight assembly?
I have tried for three evenings to get the new HID bulb installed in the low beam slot, and it WILL NOT go in
I had purchased some bulbs off of ebay and, as I posted here, they had narrower tabs than the ones I removed. I purchased some more from DDM (took two weeks to get them) and they look the same as the ebay bulbs.
I have replaced DOZENS of headlight/taillight bulbs and have never had any issues
All I know to do is get it off so I can look at it and see what is wrong
Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you take out the black covers, and the body painted tops of the headlights. there are 2 bolts on each side of 1 headlight that when removed, allow the headlight assembly to rotate down into the nose so you can see the back of the headlights.

The bolts are a torx going into a nut towards the back of the headlight assembly. The nut is locktite on there, and really needs to be lubed to remove. there is a little nylon sleeve in there as well that needs to be looked after when you are removing them.

If you need to remove the headlight section as well to get it out of the car, it this point you just have to remove the metal pin with the lock washer on it and remove the wires from the light bulbs and that section will come out.

Be warned, if you do this, you should mod those metal pins to accept some sort of locking retaining clip. Mine fell out the next day and I had to go to ace hardware and get new pins and retaining clips. because all the parts fell out of the nose.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Hella-90mm%29

Check out the link for some pics

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 12-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Good luck with removing the torx bolts. The older the vehicle, the more secure they will be. I finally just gave up trying to remove them and just removed the entire assembly - 6 bolts and 1/2 hour later I had it on my work bench with full access to the unit. From there I could do all the mods or access anything I needed. There are three bolts that hold the light to the vehicle's frame and three smaller nut that stabilize the unit from the back. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it might be better to remove the entire assembly () so I don't break anything and wind up chasing parts
Where are the 6 bolts located (4 rear, one each side?)
Did you have any trouble getting it back in? This is the issue several guys have mentioned.
I cant believe I cant get a stupid bulb in a socket, but I either have cheap made bulbs, are something is wrong with the socket
Old 12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
I think it might be better to remove the entire assembly () so I don't break anything and wind up chasing parts
Where are the 6 bolts located (4 rear, one each side?)
Did you have any trouble getting it back in? This is the issue several guys have mentioned.
I cant believe I cant get a stupid bulb in a socket, but I either have cheap made bulbs, are something is wrong with the socket
I had the same issue with mine. I ended up trimming a tiny piece of plastic off the blub, once I had seen the back of the headlight.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner
Good luck with removing the torx bolts. The older the vehicle, the more secure they will be.
Mine were virtually welded together. Got them off but rounded off the torx slots.

Fortunately, JW Motoring sells replacement torx bolts - 4 bolts are contained in each kit. [Here is the link: http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/C5-Co...ngeBoltKit.htm ]. Better yet, each bolt in the JW kit includes a new metal collar, which is good since the stock nylon collars also tend to wear out. I bought one set and used all four bolts/collars to replace the stock ones. And I bought an extra set of torx bolts/collars to keep around - just in case.

The JW Motoring solution is also vastly less expensive than purchasing replacement torx bolts/collars from a dealership (but I guess we all could have predicted that, right?).

The Lizzard
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
dtile
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of subject but...I had my 2000 coupe get installed HIDs...the next day I used it at night the lights wouldn't go up 40 % of the time. The performance shop claims the rubber bussings (4 on each side) where bad. Think its true? I bought new ones and waiting on them...
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/2000+...1997-2004.html
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dtile
The performance shop claims the rubber bussings (4 on each side) where bad. Think its true? I bought new ones and waiting on them...
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/2000+...1997-2004.html
The Ecklers parts shown in your link are bump stops. I doubt they have anything to do with the problem you described.

Here are a couple of links to the headlight area that might educate you regarding disassembly of the headlights and their moving parts:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...s-of-pics.html
and
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...otsa-pics.html

It sounds to me like the pivot bolts are binding, but...In any event, you'd best open up the headlights and take a look before spending too much money on repairs for problems you don't have.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 12-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
dtile
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
The Ecklers parts shown in your link are bump stops. I doubt they have anything to do with the problem you described... The Lizzard
thanks...seems strange, they worked fine before install. now they most likely will state didn't work before.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dtile
thanks...seems strange, they worked fine before install. now they most likely will state didn't work before.
Could be lots of things, but I'd first look to see whether the installer correctly re-assembled the headlight units. Could be that the 4 pivot bolts are tightened too much, and cause binding. It could also be that the single pivot bar at the top of the headlight unit is incorrectly installed/alligned.

Trust me...take these headlight units apart and you can readily see how they are supposed to work, mechanically speaking. [I am a CPA...if I can figure this out, anyone can.]

The Lizzard
Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

first thing I would do is listen to the motors when you turn them on. If they are not turning when they do not go up, you may have a resistor issues with HID's.

It would be pretty easy to check for mechanical issues such as over tightening the pivot bolts. those bolts have a stop on them. I don't know what it is called at this time, but you can only tighten them so much, then the nut stops on the bolt. The threads don't go all the way up to the bolts head.

On my HID kit, I ordered the wiring harness that bypasses the stock stuff, and leaves the driver side headlight low beam bulb connector open. I put terminals on the resistor from another HID bulb, and plugged it right into the stock low beam connector. this solved my head lights up and down issues. When I tapped the wires with the supplied connectors that cut into the stock wires, it was not doing the job. And I was very aware of how I was doing it.

Another thing I read about the HID's, if you turn them on or off with the highbeams activated, they usually work correctly. I don't know as I never got to this point.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
dtile
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
first thing I would do is listen to the motors when you turn them on. If they are not turning when they do not go up, you may have a resistor issues with HID's.
Thanks, they called and claim they never took housing out. So must be resistor issue I would think. car covered and snow, so ill check later if they go up and down with high beams on and will replace bumpers anyways. we shall see... thanks again, much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To headlight assembly

Quick Reply: headlight assembly