C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover & PCV configurations. Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valve Cover & PCV configurations. Info needed

About to do heads and cam on my 97' C5. I'm swapping from the early 241s and covers where the coils mount directly to the valve covers. The 08' 243 heads I picked up didn't come with covers so I picked up a set off a 99' Camaro and I also have a set from an 08' 5.3L truck motor I'm putting in a street rod I'm building.
I was thinking of using the 08' truck coils as I here they are better than the LS1 coils. But putting the truck bracket and coils on the cover, they sit much higher up towards the intake and I'm curious if it causes clearance problems with the fuel rails or maybe the fuel rail covers??? I have the 97'-98' dual line setup. The only coil brackets I have are from the 08' 5.3L. Do I need Camaro or C5 brackets? Will the truck coils mount to them?
And as far as the covers go, the pcv setup is different on the two. Which is preferred? On the Camaro driver side cover, there is a grommet that I assume the pcv valve plugs into?? On the 5.3L cover, there is a built in nipple. Pass side, the Camaro cover has two nipples vs only one on the 5.3L cover. The underside baffles are also different.
So, use this one or that one? Mix this one with that one? Or get a different cover setup I don't already have. I already have an oil catch can to go with whatever setup I go with. Just not going the LS6 setup. I would have to grind/notch part of my block in the valley for the LS6 style valley plate to fit. Not dealing with that. Thoughts???

My early 97' C5 setup.

Truck coils and brackets on Camaro cover.

Camaro pcv

5.3L pcv

5.3L coils, brackets, and covers
Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

2 nips on the Camaro and 1 n the 5.3L.

Passenger side baffle 5.3L

Passenger side baffle Camaro
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Anyone?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM
dimler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is your GAIN?

After you go through this whole mixture of parts and pieces from several cars and trucks, not to even consider the aggravation. What do you think your ACTUAL or REAL GAIN will be be ??
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dimler
After you go through this whole mixture of parts and pieces from several cars and trucks, not to even consider the aggravation. What do you think your ACTUAL or REAL GAIN will be be ??
I'm hoping for at least 100rwhp!!!

Did you read the first line on this thread???
I am doing heads, cam, headers.... That will be where my gains come from. My car is a 97' with the old style perimeter valve covers. My stock LS1 coils are the first gen style that bolt right to the valve cover. I picked up a set of 243 heads and shipped them to Advanced Induction for their 226cc CNC porting. In prep, I'm trying to figure out what valve covers, coils, and pcv system to go with. I am forced to switch parts as my stock 97' valve covers and coils won't mount on the later center bolt valve covers I need to go with for the new heads.
Hope that clears up the WHY I am switching, going through this headache.

I also realize I have the Melco D581 truck coils, not the D585 truck coils so many swap to. Yet I found info saying the D581's are great coils too. They are small and clean looking and as long as they perform as good as LS1 coils, I may as well use them as I have them here. Might just make custom brackets to hold them to my covers.
That will just leave me with which covers? The Camaro covers have a grommet that the pcv valve plugs into? That worries me about it leaking there. The truck cover has a hose nipple there that won't leak. It that a built in pcv valve or do you run one inline on the hosing?
And do I go with the pass cover with one or two hose nipples?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is the TWO different PCV systems on a C5.

LS1 System:

LS6 and late model C5:

You will need the valve valley cover from a ZO6 or late model LS engine to use the simplified PVC System.

The coils are better and apply more spark current at lower RPMs and better spark at high RPMs. That will allow more efficient combustion.

Cant answer your question on the coil brackets and valve covers.

BC
Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The late model valve cover on the passengers side valve cover will need a fresh air inlet hose.

I have a FAST 90 & 90mm TB so there is no provision for a fresh air fitting so, I put a 90 deg fitting on the drivers side of the air bridge aand connected the fresh air hose there.

BC
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Found these diagrams. Gives a lot of options and configurations of valve covers.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

I am going to go ahead and pick up an LS6 valley cover and notch the block so it will fit. The question I have is do I go with the earlier style with the inline pcv valve or the 04' style with the built in fixed orifice that does not require a pcv valve???
Here are the two setups I am thinking of. I have either style of valve covers on hand.
The truck covers have the fixed orifice restrictor built into the driver side cover. Or the Camaro cover has the large grommet to either plug or route a breather line between covers. Would running the second setup cause a problem as the LS6 valley cover has the fixed orifice as does the valve cover. Or would the first setup with the cover to cover fresh air breathing be better?? Guess it's a question of is it better to pull the vapors out of one location or two?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
With the LS6 valley cover, the best way to continuously flush the combustion byproducts and condensation out of the crank case with fresh air is to have a fresh air inlet on both valve covers so the fresh air will be pulled towards, and through the LS6 valley cover outlet from both sides of the engine.
So should the drivers side cover get it's air from the pass cover or should I "T" off the throttle body outlet like this??

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover & PCV configurations. Info needed

Quick Reply: Valve Cover & PCV configurations. Info needed