C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tro209
I hear you man, and i aprecciate all your advice and any advice of this forum. Having said that i do have to ask the question. How are these cars for Daily Drivers? Truly. If the costs are less than that of BMW than perfect. If not ....
It can be a good daily driver as long as it is not your only car. There will be times when it will be down for repairs or places you just don't want to take a Vette. Above all, have someone who REALLY KNOWS THE C5 do a good inspection for you. These cars have a lot of common problems, some expensive and some not but you do not want to be buying someones problem car. There are low mileage ones out there definitively 2001 or newer.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TropicalVette
Just to mention that if it's reliability what you want the best you could do is to look into de premium Japanese cars made by Acura, Infinity and Lexus. The only thing that the Beemer has over them may be the enthusiasts driving experience but that's where it stops. Any of those would provide a nice level of luxury and most of all dependability. Not to mention an excellent retail value at the end of your user cycle.
Ya i was orgianlly looking at IS350's but other than that i dont really like Japanese cars that much :/

The way i see it is If the corvette needs some occasional maintenance im fine with that. But if its a nightmare like my current car then forget about it lol
Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigGun
It can be a good daily driver as long as it is not your only car. There will be times when it will be down for repairs or places you just don't want to take a Vette. Above all, have someone who REALLY KNOWS THE C5 do a good inspection for you. These cars have a lot of common problems, some expensive and some not but you do not want to be buying someones problem car. There are low mileage ones out there definitively 2001 or newer.
Luckily i still live with my parents and still will for some time. Theyve been letting me drive on of their cars in mean time (ie the last 2 months) and it hasnt been a problem yet
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

The C5 is incredibly reliable. They are not a Camry/Accord/Civic/Corolla, but where sportscars are concerned, they are second to none IMHO.

But to me, the biggest selling point of the C5 (really Corvettes in general) is the wealth of information out there and the huge, helpful Vette community. Those 2 things make it so much easier and cheaper to own one of these cars if you're not afraid to do your own wrenching.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wcsinx
The C5 is incredibly reliable. They are not a Camry/Accord/Civic/Corolla, but where sportscars are concerned, they are second to none IMHO.

But to me, the biggest selling point of the C5 (really Corvettes in general) is the wealth of information out there and the huge, helpful Vette community. Those 2 things make it so much easier and cheaper to own one of these cars if you're not afraid to do your own wrenching.
Awesome. And i agree. Ive only been a member for a day and i feel like this is the best forum ive ever been on. Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought my 03 Coupe in 2006 (14K miles). The only repair costs I have come across were:

Steering Wheel Position Sensor ~$350 parts/labor Dealership installed.
EBCM repair $150 (Thanks ABS Fixer!) I removed and reinstalled.
Oil pressure sending unit $35 . I installed it.

Total repair costs over 8 years is ~$550. This does not include the requisite fluid changes, brake pads etc.

It was fairly cheap to maintain.

HOWEVER... the modification costs over the years have just exceeded $30K

It is one hella fun DD/Track car now.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I bought my 03 Coupe in 2006 (14K miles). The only repair costs I have come across were:

Steering Wheel Position Sensor ~$350 parts/labor Dealership installed.
EBCM repair $150 (Thanks ABS Fixer!) I removed and reinstalled.
Oil pressure sending unit $35 . I installed it.

Total repair costs over 8 years is ~$550. This does not include the requisite fluid changes, brake pads etc.

It was fairly cheap to maintain.

HOWEVER... the modification costs over the years have just exceeded $30K

It is one hella fun DD/Track car now.

I hope this helps.
Wow. $550?? Amazing :O

I dont really plan on modding the car though. Although im pretty sure no one ever "plans" it lol. Still its great to hear how well these cars hold up

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing a C5 base vette