C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car (unintentionally) sat for a while, no fuel pressure now

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
cresus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car (unintentionally) sat for a while, no fuel pressure now

As title says, this car is a project car (GTM kit car) that uses C5 corvette parts. Life got away from me, and the car sat without starting for a while. Battery is obviously dead, but when I go to start it up it won't fire. A little debugging later and I find it has no fuel pressure. No whine of pump when relay clicks (I can hear it click on and off for hte prime phase). Does this mean the fuel pump is toast (checked harness: it's getting +12V during prime phase) or can there be some other reason the fuel pump isn't operating? I think the fuel all evaporated because the hoses just have stuff covering the ends...probably not a perfect seal. Is a dead fuel pump an expected result of sitting or is there a way to rescue it?

If it is dead, is a walbro 255 (GRJ420) a recommended replacement if there's a possibility of high HP down the road? It looks like the walbro is cheaper than the stock fuel pump but I don't know how direct the replacement is. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Check the voltage on the fuel pump fuse and relay after prime and insure it correct.

Jumper the power and fuel pump terminals in the relay socketand se if the pump runs and you can start and run the engine:
Old 05-12-2014, 06:17 PM
cresus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Check the voltage on the fuel pump fuse and relay after prime and insure it correct.

Jumper the power and fuel pump terminals in the relay socketand se if the pump runs and you can start and run the engine:
I'm a little confused. Jumpering the terminals of the relay serves to bypass the relay and apply power to the pump, right? Right now I've unplugged the harness at the pump to confirm it's getting voltage during prime (and then it switches off after 2s) but I don't hear anything from the pump. It seems odd that it would fail without making any noise, but I guess if the gasoline turned to gum it wouldn't be able to turn?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Try checking the voltage with the pump connected.

Also, make sure the ground to the pump is also OK.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Try checking the voltage with the pump connected.

Also, make sure the ground to the pump is also OK.
if you have good power and ground, power up the pump and tap on the tank with a rubber mallet.

Get notified of new replies

To Car (unintentionally) sat for a while, no fuel pressure now

Quick Reply: Car (unintentionally) sat for a while, no fuel pressure now