C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Rapidfire Spark Plug Experiences.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:29 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default AC Rapidfire Spark Plug Experiences.

I have been having loads of denotation in the hot desert climate. With 91 octane as the limit I would like to share my experiences:

1. Octane boosters do not work.

2. Adding four gallons plus of Union 76, 100 octane gas helps but pricey and inconvenient.

3. Adding four gallons plus of Toluene helps but pricey and inconvenient.

4. C5 radiator is too small IMO but not ready to go the "Be-Cool" route yet.

Solution? Rapidfire spark plugs fixed the detonation. :D
Part #12. Available at Autozone, $32 for 8. Gap is factory set at .060" (C5 specs.)

After inspecting the stock Denso plugs I am amazed what a hot plug this is (heat range). The Rapidfire plugs are colder (shorter insulator).

I found the spark plug installlation easier (driver's side) if you remove the smog pump plumbing at the exhaust manifold. I needed no special tools just a spark plug socket, ratchet, and extensions. Actually the hardest plug to get at was on the pass. side at the firewall (ac lines in the way). Be sure to use Anti-seize compound on the plug threads and silicone dielectric grease on the wire boots. Job took me one hour.

In summary I am convinced the AC Rapidfire spark plugs are a good choice for the LS1 (I have tried NGK TR55). Not only did they stop the detonation, the car pulls harder in top RPM compared to the other plugs I have tried. The plugs should last a good 50k miles.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:46 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: AC Rapidfire Spark Plug Experiences. (BHP)

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the post. I am about due for some plugs and will check out the ACs. :yesnod: :)

Quick Reply: AC Rapidfire Spark Plug Experiences.