C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights pop up when running lights selected?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Headlights pop up when running lights selected?

Out of the blue my headlight units now pop up when I turn on my running/parking lights! Plus when I turn the lights off the headlight units stow, and the right unit makes a dreadful grinding noise, which stops after about 5 seconds.

I assume the grinding noise is an indication that I need to replace the nylon headlight gears with brass ones, but why would the headlight units pop up when I select running lights only??????????

I should add that when the headlight units pop up when running/parking lights are selected, the headlights are not illuminated. When the headlight position is selected the headlights illuminate as normal.

(Twilight Sentinel is turned off, and always has been)

Advise appreciated.

Last edited by allred; 11-11-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:47 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

What is twilight sentinel?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Cuz13
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allred
Out of the blue my headlight units now pop up when I turn on my running/parking lights! Plus when I turn the lights off the headlight units stow, and the right unit makes a dreadful grinding noise, which stops after about 5 seconds.

I assume the grinding noise is an indication that I need to replace the nylon headlight gears with brass ones, but why would the headlight units pop up when I select running lights only??????????

I should add that when the headlight units pop up when running/parking lights are selected, the headlights are not illuminated. When the headlight position is selected the headlights illuminate as normal.

(Twilight Sentinel is turned off, and always has been)

Advise appreciated.

Do you have LED'S or Switchbacks in your running/parking lights or factory bulbs?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
allred
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cuz13
Do you have LED'S or Switchbacks in your running/parking lights or factory bulbs?
No, everything is stock.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
allred
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
What is twilight sentinel?
A programmable option which will automatically turn on your headlights if natural lighting is dim/dark. Designed to automatically turn on your lights at twilight, it can also be a pain because your lights will come on automatically when lighting is dim..........like when you start your car in the garage. Many owners turn this option off for that reason.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You could have a defective Multifunction switch. They are well known to have issues..
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 AM
allred
Drifting

I ordered a replacement brass headlight gear kit from Rodney Dickman and installed the passenger side yesterday...............works perfectly, all problems cured. (there were two teeth broken on the plastic gear) Even though the driver's side currently works fine I will replace that side today.

The passenger side took about an hour to do, but now that I know what I am doing the driver's side should only take about 30 minutes.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by allred
I ordered a replacement brass headlight gear kit from Rodney Dickman and installed the passenger side yesterday...............works perfectly, all problems cured. (there were two teeth broken on the plastic gear) Even though the driver's side currently works fine I will replace that side today.

The passenger side took about an hour to do, but now that I know what I am doing the driver's side should only take about 30 minutes.

It is weird it does that. I had the exact same thing happen to me. turned out to be the passenger side gear as well. Replaced and all has been well since.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When your headlights come up when your parking lights are turned on it IS A GEAR PROBLEM. This happened to me and I fixed it by replacing one of the gears.

There is a current sensor that turns off the headlight motors when the headlights hit there stop and the current spikes. When some gear teeth have worn/stripped, there is not enough of a spike, and a secondary timer turns off the voltage. However, when this happens, the "timing" gets off and the headlights will raise when the parking lights are turned on.

BTW, the current sensor is why you need a resister when installing lower current HID bulbs to have headlights operate properly.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM
allred
Drifting

Good information......thank you Oldvetter
Old 06-30-2017, 04:21 PM
flyingjoey
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
It is weird it does that. I had the exact same thing happen to me. turned out to be the passenger side gear as well. Replaced and all has been well since.
About 4 hours it took me cause I had inverted the acuator arm direction on the right side. U get that one head light up and one down. Common mistake just change the arm opposite direction fixes this problem. Don't forget to grease well the parts inside the gear and don't hurt to add little grease to outside moving parts. My headlights work like new. If u have the plastic housing instead of all metal u going to need that t shaped bracket for added strength.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights pop up when running lights selected?

Quick Reply: Headlights pop up when running lights selected?