C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:06 AM
jodyjo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking brake woes

Hey everyone, I have a question on parking brake adjustments. The brake wouldn't hold when I went for an inspection so, as I was changing to brakemotive rotors, I adjusted the parking brake shoes out some I both sides. I tested it by pulling the e brake cable and I could not turn the rotors by hand. After I put everything back together, I tried it out and the parking brake held with the car in gear, but only held once or twice. I decided to adjust the shoes out again, checked it the same way, and the car did not hold one time. What's wrong? Do I need new shoes? Am I not adjusting it out enough? Should I try to adjust the cable and if so then how? I need to get my inspection!

Jody
Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jodyjo
Hey everyone, I have a question on parking brake adjustments. The brake wouldn't hold when I went for an inspection so, as I was changing to brakemotive rotors, I adjusted the parking brake shoes out some I both sides. I tested it by pulling the e brake cable and I could not turn the rotors by hand. After I put everything back together, I tried it out and the parking brake held with the car in gear, but only held once or twice. I decided to adjust the shoes out again, checked it the same way, and the car did not hold one time. What's wrong? Do I need new shoes? Am I not adjusting it out enough? Should I try to adjust the cable and if so then how? I need to get my inspection!

Jody
Try adjusting again. Remove caliper and rotor to access the adjuster for access of course.
You'll know when you have it right when your brake handle comes up 13 clicks and it's "tight". The handle will be at a 45° angle.

HTH
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM
jodyjo
Instructor

Okay, will do that this weekend.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Have you ever cleaned and lubed the parking brake handle assembly? The old grease hardens with age and can prevent the internal ratchet parts from operating as designed. The best way to do this is to remove the assembly and clean it with solvent then lube it with Mobil 1 grease. I did this ten years ago and the parking brakes have worked without fail ever since. Some have sprayed oil into the area without removal with successful results, check the archives.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I have read that you need to adjust the ebrake until it is pretty hard to slip the rotor back on over the shoes. If the rotor slides on with little resistance U don't have it adjusted enough. I adjusted mine and they hold but these ebrakes aren't the best design. Make sure U don't pull the shoes to hard and dislodge the long curved spring. It is a pain to get back in place. U can disloged it when u adjust brakes until rotor is hard to get over shoes and if U try and remove the rotor again this is when I dislogded mine.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM
jodyjo
Instructor

Maybe this weekend I can adjust the shoes out until the rotor barely fits and then also grease my lever. I just need to get this thing inspected because my tags are due.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

If you had the shoes adjusted so they held and now they don't I would suspect that the ratchets in the handle assembly are binding. The grease GM used in this application and several others sticks well to parts but tends to dry out in time. When the internal parts of the handle assembly are working, the slack will be taken out of the cable and shoes after a few pulls of the handle, after that the system will be tight with one pull. The shoes can't be excessively loose though.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

I can definitely hear the ratchet sound when I pull the handle. Is there a way to grease these parts without removing the passenger seat? The how to I read called for that and I just don't want to if I don't have to.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You are not adjusting the brake enough. The link below is how to properly adjust the parking brake.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1578483712
Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sigforty
You are not adjusting the brake enough. The link below is how to properly adjust the parking brake.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1578483712

Good info there.

One additional thing everyone should keep in mind of course: this brake is NOT an "emergency" brake. It may be used of course in an emergency situation (better than nothing), but it is not designed for an "emergency" situation. It is a parking brake to keep the car from rolling from a dead stop on hills, inclines, etc.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Took off today to work on the race car and finished up early so I came to adjust my brakes again. Started on the passenger side and adjusted out until I could just barely get the rotor on. Came to drivers side and there seem to be a problem with the cylinder. The wheel that you turn won't spin independently of the part on top where the parking brake shoes bracket sits. Sorry if that's clear as mud. Is there anywhere I can buy a full kit, cylinder and shoes, and not break the bank?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Can u take the adjuster off and clean it up, the wheel should turn, nothing to wear out really on this set up, not even the shoes since they never touch except when car is stopped, supposibly n an ideal world. Good luck
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Can u take the adjuster off and clean it up, the wheel should turn, nothing to wear out really on this set up, not even the shoes since they never touch except when car is stopped, supposibly n an ideal world. Good luck
The shoe should last the life of the car.

The only GM OE hardware "kit" (that also contains the shoe) available that would contain the parts needed (adjuster wheel, etc) is approx $150 (~), depending on where you buy it.

I would at least try to disassemble, clean, and lightly lube the adjuster first. It consists of item numbers 6,7,9, and 10 in this illustration:

Old 03-26-2015, 09:53 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Thanks for the exploded view. I'll try to clean it up this weekend.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

It just seems like 6 and 7 are seized together for some reason.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Are you sure you are turning them the right way? If I remember correctly they turned counter clockwise. I also had to sparingly spray some cleaner and wd40 on mine to get it moving. I then used a screwdriver and lightly tapped it with a hammer. Once it got moving all was well.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
jodyjo
Instructor

I think I am, like I said I've adjusted it before but this last time it was acting seized. I'll soak it in some penetrating lube this weekend.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jodyjo
I think I am, like I said I've adjusted it before but this last time it was acting seized. I'll soak it in some penetrating lube this weekend.
Good idea if you have the time. Once free, I would lightly lube only with either white lithium grease, or the black moly grease made for brake hardware like this:

Either of these are available at almost all AP stores. Personally I prefer the Sta-Lube since it's very useful on a variety of other situations and is very water resistant, etc. Every tool box should have a tube.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:07 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice guys and I'll definitely pick up a tube. I'll let you guys know results.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake woes

Quick Reply: Parking brake woes