C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak on new Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 PM
jz2003
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Leak on new Z06...

2003 Z06, 49k miles.

I bought it used. I gave it the best look over I could without jacking it up, but this one was lowered, and I guess I missed the obvious.

Everything looks good and clean except the transmission. It is covered in a light coat of oil all over. I don't see it dripping, nor do I see drips on the driveway, but the damn thing is coated in oil. It's black/oil colored, not red. What gives? I got a good price on the car, so worst case I replace a main seal, but is it simpler than that?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would read over the above material. Next, I would get the car up so you can access the tranny and clean it and the differential good. Then check the levels of the transmissions and differential. I would also stick your fingers inside the tunnel plate to see if it too has any oil coating. Also check near the bell housing in case the clutch is leaking. There are a lot of places this could come from and with the air passing under the car the transmission may only be the collection place. I wouldn't immediately suspect the rear seal either, they are pretty tight on these cars. I would more suspect clutch leakage or oil sensor leakage but once you get under the car you can hopefully pinpoint it better.

If the transmission and differential are full, keep an eye on it for re-development of the oil coating to see if you can figure out where it is coming from. Usually the differential leak won't get all over the tranny. When you check the tranny fluid, make sure it is red. Very old ATF might not be red or the PO may have used a different fluid.

Gather up some information first. There are pleny of folks here who can help with solutions once you sort out where it is coming from. Good luck with the new car and welcome to the forum
Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice post 8vette7... very comprehensive!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak on new Z06...

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on new Z06...