C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billmoore48
UPDATE AFTER INSTALLATION 3/5/18
I installed this video switching device and it works perfect for my application.
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, but I was wondering if you could post of video of your install with the camera's running?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

My Kenwood DNX 993 has a front camera input

Old 09-12-2018, 12:07 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

My install is posted on here somewhere, and instead of running wires from the rear to the front through the car, which also involves drilling a hole in the rear for the video cable, I used a wireless transmitter and receiver system (for less than $6), which is kept in the right rear light area and gets power and trigger from the backup light wiring. My entire system, front and rear cameras and transmitter-receiver units and a toggle switch to go from front to back, cost me less than $50. The wireless system works flawlessly.
My only problem with a front mounted camera (mine is under the right front just center of the frame), is that after 3 years or so, the lens gets blasted/sanded by road debris and dust and gets a little opaque, leading to a foggy picture on the screen.
I've tried to clean this off with all kinds of polishing compounds, but one of these days when I get around to it, I'll just replace the camera for a couple of bucks, and 15 min of time to rerun the wires.

Last edited by mrlmd; 09-12-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have videos, but I put mine dead center of the license plate, and I put one in the front. It's the same angled camera which works great for the rear, but the front needs to be shimmed to fix the angle. The wiring is there, so eventually I'll just remove it and attach another that's better suited for that space. I wanted to be able to see curbs and speed bumps and stuff but this camera just basically points it at the ground and isn't worth much. I ran the wires on the rear thru the fiberglass tub and under the carpet, into a DPDT (double pull double throw) switch that gets power from the cigarette lighter 12V. I've got resisters in the line so that when I power it up it doesn't cross the streams and only displays one on screen and doesn't clash.

I dremel'd a spot in the console for my switch.

Name:  87XoY5I.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  3.91 MB
Attachment 48351173

Attachment 48351174

Attachment 48351175

Quick Reply: Backup Camera