C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Backup Camera

Hey all. Installing my backup camera as soon as the weather cooperates with working on the car (I need to build a garage already!).

I was wondering what the best method is for getting the backup camera video wiring inside the vehicle and up to the head unit. Are there any existing penetrations I can use or would this be drilling a new hole in the rear tub somewhere and grommet+sealant?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran mine under the console, under the rear carpet, out through the wheel well vent (or whatever its called, it has a rubber flap) and back to the camera from behind the license plate holder. No drilling necessary, works fine. I also ran the reverse light wire the same route from the headunit to one of the reverse lamps.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by vpshockwave
...out through the wheel well vent...
Oh snap, I remember reading about such a thing in the C5 FAQ, but I've never seen it. Which side is it on? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:49 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

Originally Posted by Trios
Oh snap, I remember reading about such a thing in the C5 FAQ, but I've never seen it. Which side is it on? Thanks!
They may be on both sides, not 100% sure though. I ran mine through the driver's side vent. It's behind the carpet in the back left corner of the trunk area (at least it is in my FRC). I can't tell exactly what you have but I would assume the coupe has something similar. Might need someone to chime in for confirmation.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ran mine through the antenna grommet

Last edited by brplatz; 04-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

-----
It's on the drivers side only.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mickeyrx70
-----
It's on the drivers side only.
Thanks! I found it and my wire is run now. Just need a couple of diodes for my front-or-rear camera system (so no more curbs sneaking up on me) and I'll be set!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:27 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

Thanks! I found it and my wire is run now. Just need a couple of diodes for my front-or-rear camera system (so no more curbs sneaking up on me) and I'll be set!

I wouldn't mind installing a front camera as well. How exactly are you handling the camera toggle?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Trios
Drifting

I wouldn't mind installing a front camera as well. How exactly are you handling the camera toggle?
I'm installing a small latching SPST switch on the foot rest next to the clutch. That will provide 12V to the front camera and trigger the +12v to the head unit to enable the 'backup' camera (which is also attached to the +12v from the reverse lights, and powers the reverse camera). I'll have a pair of diodes to keep the front camera from turning on when the reverse lights are on and prevent the back camera from turning on when I push the switch.

For the actual video signals, I'm just going to Y them together. Since only one camera will ever be powered at a time, there shouldn't be any interference.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

I'm installing a small latching SPST switch on the foot rest next to the clutch. That will provide 12V to the front camera and trigger the +12v to the head unit to enable the 'backup' camera (which is also attached to the +12v from the reverse lights, and powers the reverse camera). I'll have a pair of diodes to keep the front camera from turning on when the reverse lights are on and prevent the back camera from turning on when I push the switch.

For the actual video signals, I'm just going to Y them together. Since only one camera will ever be powered at a time, there shouldn't be any interference.
Sounds like a plan. Where are you mounting the front camera?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Trios
Drifting

Sounds like a plan. Where are you mounting the front camera?

Don't mind the disgustingly dirty car...
Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

Don't mind the disgustingly dirty car...
I see. I actually run my front license because I get tired of getting pulled over by state troopers. If I did run a front camera though I'd try to find somewhere else though as have a black spot on the front like that would drive me crazy. It would definitely be hard to find a spot in the center other than that place though so I see why you did it.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Trios
Drifting

I see. I actually run my front license because I get tired of getting pulled over by state troopers. If I did run a front camera though I'd try to find somewhere else though as have a black spot on the front like that would drive me crazy. It would definitely be hard to find a spot in the center other than that place though so I see why you did it.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I *should* be running my license plate, but in 5 years I haven't been stopped for it once.

EDIT: You could get a camera that mounts to the front license plate bolts. Super easy.

Part of the reason I put it where I did is because that part is so easy to replace if I decided I hated it there. I just put that in yesterday, so we'll see if it grows on me.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 PM
billmoore48
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope this worked the way you expected and can share some wisdom... I, too, want to share the camera input front and rear but so far I'm getting some type of conflict when I use the Y-cable. When I put both camera inputs in the Y with no power to either camera, I get a "signal lost" message on the display. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience or knowledge to know what's causing it. The diodes you mention, did they go in the 12v+ line or the video line and what's their purpose? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...Bill
Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by billmoore48
...When I put both camera inputs in the Y with no power to either camera, I get a "signal lost" message on the display. ...
That's because when the headunit is in "camera" mode, one of the cameras is supposed to have power. Otherwise no video signal is generated and the headunit reports it is not getting anything.

Try that again, this time manually powering one camera and then the other (but not both at the same time).
Old 02-04-2018, 12:27 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Where would I find a switch like you mentioned? I have a backup camera with my DD radio, works great. I have a front camera mounted to an existing screw under the front bumper. Not having luck figuring out how to make the front camera work. Bought a Chinese switch, not happy with it so I never tried to hook it up. Wiring is already run. As far as running rear wiring, I just drilled a small hole in the tub in the back, used a small grommet and I've had no problems with it. Works great, highly recommended!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM
billmoore48
Racer

Default Y Cable Trial

Originally Posted by GCG
That's because when the headunit is in "camera" mode, one of the cameras is supposed to have power. Otherwise no video signal is generated and the headunit reports it is not getting anything.

Try that again, this time manually powering one camera and then the other (but not both at the same time).
OK - so I installed the Y-cable with only the backup camera plugged in. When power was applied to the backup camera, I get an image, but it's distorted - like horizontal oscillation - instead of a clear image. When I remove the Y-cable and connect direct, it's a clear image.

Is there some type of filter I need, or maybe a different Y-cable manufacturer that was successful for you?

Thanks...Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Backup Camera

Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by billmoore48
OK - so I installed the Y-cable with only the backup camera plugged in. When power was applied to the backup camera, I get an image, but it's distorted - like horizontal oscillation - instead of a clear image. When I remove the Y-cable and connect direct, it's a clear image.

Is there some type of filter I need, or maybe a different Y-cable manufacturer that was successful for you?

Thanks...Bill
What kind of Y-Cable/Splitter did you use? Was it intended for video, or just audio? Your description of what's happening seems to point to bad internal construction/shielding.

Good video cables/adapters are constructed with RG-6 cable, like these 2 examples:

1)
<b>Coaxial Splitter</b> Coaxial Splitter
. Made from premium quality RG-6/U with double copper braid shielding.
  • This cable is ideal for conducting S/PDIF digital audio signals and other high-bandwidth content
  • It can also be used for composite video and other line level RCA signals
  • Gender-changer adapters would probably need to be used, but it illustrates the idea.

2)
Component Video Splitter Component Video Splitter
. This is actually 3 adapters in 1. It is also constructed using premium quality RG-6/U with double copper braid shielding.

Strictly speaking, these adapters are generally intended to share a "single" source signal with 2 display devices. Since you are only powering 1 camera at a time, they should work, but as they say: your mileage may vary.

A much better suited device for this kind of installation is an automatic "video switcher" like
<b>this one</b> this one

Last edited by GCG; 02-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:36 PM
billmoore48
Racer

Default Installation Update

A much better suited device for this kind of installation is an automatic "video switcher" like
<b>this one</b> this one
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all of the ideas. I like the "automatic video switcher" device. I've ordered the parts and will report progress. FWIW, the Y-cable I was using is shielded, high quality, so I'm glad to move on to a better solution. Thanks again. Bill

UPDATE AFTER INSTALLATION 3/5/18
I installed this video switching device and it works perfect for my application.

I purchased the switch from Amazon using the link above from GCG. The first review on Amazon is by Peter Robinson and he helps by labeling the inputs and outputs for the backup camera, and two more cameras. He also outlines that you'll need male to male and female to female RCA gender menders or a female to female RCA extension wire to correctly join the HEAD UNIT and REVERSE RCA connections. I stuffed the switch in a gap to the right of the radio unit so the extension wire and one male to male gender mender worked for me.

I connected CAMERA 1 to my front camera, HEAD UNIT to my Android backup camera input, and REVERSE to my reverse camera. I use a switch that I mounted on the side of the console to give power to the front camera and the 18gauge red CAMERA 1 power line.

When I put it in Reverse, the reverse camera comes on. When I power the front camera, it displays on the unit instead of the reverse image. If not in reverse, the front camera shows on the display.

This is a great way to get front and rear cameras working together. So far, no noise on the line and perfect images!

Thanks again, GCG, for giving direction to this switcher!
Attached Images  

Last edited by billmoore48; 03-05-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
A much better suited device for this kind of installation is an automatic "video switcher" like this one.

Have you used the automatic "video switcher" ?

Quick Reply: Backup Camera