C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 trans not functioning properly after mail order tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:33 PM
flyingillini
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A4 trans not functioning properly after mail order tune ?

2000 A4. Only mods headers, x-pipe, cat back. Car was down for two weeks while I shipped PCM to ECS for a mail order tune.

Received PCM today and installed it. Engine runs fine with no load. Car runs like complete trash when in gear, very very sluggish, won't go over 2000 rpm. Trans shakes car when shifting to R/D/3/2/1.

Car throws P0801 Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit.

I removed PCM and checked all the connections and wires... seems ok. I checked the no-load voltage on the battery. It was 12.30 V. I charged it for awhile, measured voltage and got 12.70. Reinstalled, same crap. Measured no load voltage again after test drive, got 12.40.

Car and transmission was running fine before shipping off the PCM. Could the battery be bad and could that cause this ? Possibly a broken wire somewhere ? Problem with PCM or TCM ?

No sure where to look ?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Odinson
Advanced

Have you contacted ECS about the issue yet?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 PM
flyingillini
Advanced

Sent them a message but after close. Probably won't hear from them until Monday
Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

They may have accidentally given you a tune for a manual trans. The P0801 is specific for the 6-speed reverse lockout.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:47 AM
flyingillini
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
They may have accidentally given you a tune for a manual trans. The P0801 is specific for the 6-speed reverse lockout.
That makes sense because the tranny seems completely and utterly disfunctional.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:41 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

don't drive it until you get it taken care of... this is exactly why I hate mail order tunes, it's too easy to overlook or get something mixed up... some shops are pumping these things out like happy meals, more than likely they would catch stuff like this if the car was in front of them... a coworker of mine got a mail tune from another shop against my recommendation not to do it and his trans blew within minutes of flashing his tune... of course the shop denied all responsibility and he was left with an $800 rebuild and $400 to get it tuned properly
Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
don't drive it until you get it taken care of... this is exactly why I hate mail order tunes, it's too easy to overlook or get something mixed up... some shops are pumping these things out like happy meals, more than likely they would catch stuff like this if the car was in front of them... a coworker of mine got a mail tune from another shop against my recommendation not to do it and his trans blew within minutes of flashing his tune... of course the shop denied all responsibility and he was left with an $800 rebuild and $400 to get it tuned properly
Slow down skippy, I do 1000's of these per year, literally. It is possibly that I made a mistake, I am human.

OP, PM me your contact info and I'll make this right for you ASAP, not sure what happened, but I'll get right on it for you.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Slow down skippy, I do 1000's of these per year, literally. It is possibly that I made a mistake, I am human.

OP, PM me your contact info and I'll make this right for you ASAP, not sure what happened, but I'll get right on it for you.
Very nice indeed!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:58 PM
JargonGrinder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

Good customer service!
Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM
flyingillini
Advanced

Originally Posted by JargonGrinder
Good customer service!
Definitely, I am absolutely sure if its the PCM he will fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To A4 trans not functioning properly after mail order tune ?

Quick Reply: A4 trans not functioning properly after mail order tune ?