C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Lockout Solonoid-98 Coupr

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Default Reverse Lockout Solonoid-98 Coupr

Having difficulty in the 4-5shift in that the shift lever moves too far right and feels like I am attempting to engage reverse which causes some gear gnashing. The 5-6 and 6-5 shifts are noiseless and smooth. Assuming the solenoid is faulty (what else could it be)? Will it throw a code? Checked for codes and there are none. Appreciate your help and thanks.
Joe
Old 08-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Joe

There is a reverse slot "GATE" that engages when car has forward speed and is SUPPOSE to BLOCK the shifter from easily entering that reverse gate.
When the gate is engaged or it FAILS engaged,, it can be over ridden by forcing the stick over to the right. If I remember correctly, its overriding force is something like 25 ft/lbs.

You can test it pretty easily. Get some forward speed (approx. 20/25 mph.) Go to the Neutral Gate and then press the shifter over to the REVERSE GATE. To get into that REVERSE GATE should take a good deal of effort!!!!!!

You can ENTER the reverse gate with out any damage BUT,,, DO NOT shift the sticK forward to engage reverse gear.

If you EASILY enter that reverse gate without having to FORCE it through the blocking solenoid,, the solenoid or the solenoid housing is damaged. The DTC that it will throw if the coil or wiring is damaged is : P-0801 = Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit

The mechanical plunger inside the solenoid are KNOWN to STICK and fail. Some members have attempted to clean and exercise them but get the same failure later. If the solenoid is properly connected to the PCM, and is damaged mechanically, it WILL NOT throw a DTC! All the PCM is looking for is the coil resistance/reluctance to be satisfied. It DOES NOT monitor the actual mechanical operation.

The new solenoids are a newer design.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-17-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Joe

There is a reverse slot "GATE" that engages when car has forward speed and is SUPPOSE to BLOCK the shifter from easily entering that reverse gate.
When the gate is engaged or it FAILS engaged,, it can be over ridden by forcing the stick over to the right. If I remember correctly, its overriding force is something like 25 ft/lbs.

You can test it pretty easily. Get some forward speed (approx. 20/25 mph.) Go to the Neutral Gate and then press the shifter over to the REVERSE GATE. To get into that REVERSE GATE should take a good deal of effort!!!!!!

You can ENTER the reverse gate with out any damage BUT,,, DO NOT shift the sticK forward to engage reverse gear.

If you EASILY enter that reverse gate without having to FORCE it through the blocking solenoid,, the solenoid or the solenoid housing is damaged. The DTC that it will throw if the coil or wiring is damaged is : P-0801 = Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit

The mechanical plunger inside the solenoid are KNOWN to STICK and fail. Some members have attempted to clean and exercise them but get the same failure later. If the solenoid is properly connected to the PCM, and is damaged mechanically, it WILL NOT throw a DTC! All the PCM is looking for is the coil resistance/reluctance to be satisfied. It DOES NOT monitor the actual mechanical operation.

The new solenoids are a newer design.

BC
Thanks for this response Bill, it's most informative. You nailed it as my concern had to do with not throwing a code. I am changing out the solenoid as it is the elephant in the room. I did unknowing perform the test you suggest and it did slip into the reverse gate. Anyhow, thanks for you assistance my friend. It was most helpful.
Joe
Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Just FYI, on the older C5's ('00 and older I think) the lockout is dis-engaged by the PCM, not engaged once the car is moving like the later models. The easy test is to see if it will easily go into reverse when the key is off.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse Lockout Solonoid-98 Coupr

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout Solonoid-98 Coupr