C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Fluid/Filter and Rear Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
tkgo15
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Fluid/Filter and Rear Differential Fluid Change

I recently purchased my first Vette, a 2000 C5 with 100,000 miles and no service records. I would like to change all fluids, including transmission fluid and filter. Can you offer me any tips/tricks on this service? Also, what type of fluid and filter would you recommend?

And, while the car is jacked up I would like to change the rear differential fluid, any recommendations on that fluid type and service as well?
Thank you!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by tkgo15
I recently purchased my first Vette, a 2000 C5 with 100,000 miles and no service records. I would like to change all fluids, including transmission fluid and filter. Can you offer me any tips/tricks on this service? Also, what type of fluid and filter would you recommend?

And, while the car is jacked up I would like to change the rear differential fluid, any recommendations on that fluid type and service as well?
Thank you!
Dexron III for the manual trans. takes about 4 qts. I use Valvoline from O'Reillys, works for me and my C5 is a track car so the trans takes a beating. No filter on a manual trans. it is usually $24 a qt at the dealer.

this stuff for the diff:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil - 32 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil - 32 oz: Automotive
You need less than 2 qts for the diff. This has the friction modifier already in it.

I think this is about as cheap as you can buy it. Also, if you buy the Plews 55001 also shown on that screen it will make fill very easy. You can use for both, just drain and flush the pumper in between.

The drain and fill plugs are easy to spot. the diff plugs take a metric hex, so you need a set to get it I think it is 8mm, but not sure. Be sure to open the fill plug first, so the drain does not burp when you open it and get fluid on your Corvette Racing Tee shirt. The manual trans plugs are pipe thread and take a 3/8 square wrench; 3/8 ratchet and short extension.

You will have to get the car in the air high enough to crawl under, and the car needs to be level for the proper fill.

If your car is an auto, someone else will have to tell you how to change an auto trans. I've never owned an auto Corvette. I've seen posts about filling autos, so the search tool above is your friend.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM
tkgo15
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k24556
Dexron III for the manual trans. takes about 4 qts. I use Valvoline from O'Reillys, works for me and my C5 is a track car so the trans takes a beating. No filter on a manual trans. it is usually $24 a qt at the dealer.

this stuff for the diff: Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil - 32 oz: Automotive You need less than 2 qts for the diff. This has the friction modifier already in it.

I think this is about as cheap as you can buy it. Also, if you buy the Plews 55001 also shown on that screen it will make fill very easy. You can use for both, just drain and flush the pumper in between.

The drain and fill plugs are easy to spot. the diff plugs take a metric hex, so you need a set to get it I think it is 8mm, but not sure. Be sure to open the fill plug first, so the drain does not burp when you open it and get fluid on your Corvette Racing Tee shirt. The manual trans plugs are pipe thread and take a 3/8 square wrench; 3/8 ratchet and short extension.

You will have to get the car in the air high enough to crawl under, and the car needs to be level for the proper fill.

If your car is an auto, someone else will have to tell you how to change an auto trans. I've never owned an auto Corvette. I've seen posts about filling autos, so the search tool above is your friend.
Thank you very much. I'll check out the gear lube. However, I have an automatic transmission, so any words of advice on that maintenance procedure would surely be appreciated.

I'm also looking ahead and plan to do a spark plug, plug wires, and coolant change. Any thoughts on those items and changing procedures?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Warning - 10-4034 may NOT be synthetic -- should use 10-4016 per Dealer

Originally Posted by k24556
this stuff for the diff: Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil - 32 oz: Automotive You need less than 2 qts for the diff. This has the friction modifier already in it.
Hi K24556 & tkgo15,

I fear the above differential fluid recommendation is NOT synthetic and thereby is NOT recommended for the 2000 Corvette (all models).

Per service Manual and Dealer today, it should be SAE 75w-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 12378261). This number is super-ceded to 88900401 (AC Delco 10-4016) and is still available, IS Synthetic, and has the 'grape' smell (I presume the smell is GM/ACDelco's way of confirming it is their product to deny warranty claims if not using theirs ). Roughly $30 per quart (times two) as the differential requires 1.69 quarts.

However, this ACDelco 10-4016 synthetic gear oil does NOT have the Limited slip additive which is also then required (GM P/N 1052358 or equivalent). There is an ACDelco equivalent for this too (sorry, I don't have that part number as I had 2 bottles of the official GM additive I bought years ago).

Also, there are two gaskets required --- but the dealer only sells the plug with the gasket -- however, the plug is a M20, so presume these are available at aftermarket auto supply places.

Lastly the drain and fill plug require a 10 mm hex bit, typically attached to 3/8" drive 'socket looking piece'. Sears price $3-5 part # 9-42679 (upc 7 14994 91081 7) (usually the 1st '7' is required for look-up, the trailing/2nd '7' is just a check digit).
Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

NOTE & WARNING!! The A4 Transmission has VERY SPECIFIC and MUST BE FOLLOWED procedures to drain and properly fill the trans.

It is completely different than anything that you can dream of.

WARNING! If you remove the FILL PLUG without the engine running and fully warmed , HOT FLUID can gush out.

REFILL (READ AND FOLLOW THE SERVICE MANUAL) for the absolute correct procedured. If you dont do it correctly, you will be shelling out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remove the pan and drain. Reinstall the pan. Fill as much Trans fluid that will fit into the pan thru the fill plug. START the engine and run till fully warm. When you start the engine, all more fluid till it runs out of the fill plug.

Shift the trans thru drive /reverse with engine running. RE-FILL AND REINSTALL THE FILL PLUG CAP.

DO NOT,, remove the fill plug when the engine is not fully warm and running!! Other wise, the additional fluid that you installed when it was running will GUSH OUT of the fill hole.

Bill
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 AM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a great video on YouTube for the c5 on this, auto trans fluid and filter replacement. It shows everything from draining to bringing the car up to operating temperature shifting through gears and topping off upon completion.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I put the B&M finned aluminum pan on my A4 the first time I changed fluid. The B&M pan has extra fluid capacity plus an actual drain plug at the bottom in addition to the fill/ level check plug. Makes future changes much easier, less likely to splurch fluid all over when the pan is removed, plus trans runs cooler.

Before installing the new transmission filter, make sure it is vacuum tight by blocking the bottom intake with your hand and sucking on the round tube which plugs into the transmission. There are some past reports of transmission malfunction traced to a leaking filter.

Ditto on Bill's notes above!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by jim993
I put the B&M finned aluminum pan on my A4 the first time I changed fluid. The B&M pan has extra fluid capacity plus an actual drain plug at the bottom in addition to the fill/ level check plug. Makes future changes much easier, less likely to splurch fluid all over when the pan is removed, plus trans runs cooler...
Do you have a link for this pan? Does it hang significantly lower than the OEM?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
There is a great video on YouTube for the c5 on this, auto trans fluid and filter replacement. It shows everything from draining to bringing the car up to operating temperature shifting through gears and topping off upon completion.
Can you post a link to this video?
Old 01-31-2016, 02:06 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Here is the Summit Racing link for the B&M pan:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bm...ion-type/4l60e

I just looked at my car, the B&M pan is lower than OEM, but still above stock exhaust piping and rear cradle by a little.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:38 PM
tkgo15
Intermediate

Default Auto Trans Fluid/Filter Change

Thank you everyone!!!
The following users liked this post:
Kelly.s (05-11-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 PM
James2000
Instructor

Great thread, can anyone recommend a good tranny filter kit. I don't want a cork gasket. I prefer the rubber material with the metal wire in it that keeps it's form or a silicone one and from my experience they are less likely to leak even when the cork ones are torqued properly. I've still exppeirenced leaking on other vehicles. Being the Vette is a B***h to do, I really don't wanna do it again before its time due to leakage. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I went with the fel-pro gasket. It was the rubber reusable type and I used a ATP filter. No leaks after 6000 miles. Good luck with your repair.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by theadmiral94
Hi K24556 & tkgo15,

I fear the above differential fluid recommendation is NOT synthetic and thereby is NOT recommended for the 2000 Corvette (all models).
Hi. Actually the 10-4034 gear oil is correct. There was a GM technical service bulletin that specifically calls for it in corvette differentials. And per a thread on bobistheoilguy, the 10-4034 is made by Petro Canada and it's fully synthetic. I think the major difference compared to 10-4016 is the limited slip additive is already mixed in with the 10-4034. I changed mine with 4034 last summer and if I remember right, it smells like grapes too.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you post that link here, couldn't find it.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM
James2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv
Sorry, it was a c6 automatic fluid change on YouTube. Same technique, but the plug is on the side on c5 and the rear bolts aren't hidden under the suspension cross beam. Making the c5 easier. Napa sells a filter kit with a rubber gasket which I prefer. There are two kits one regular and one deep pan kit, I bought both to match up and mine took the deep pan kit and my trans pan is stock And I used valvoline dex III/Mercion from Walmart I did mine and haven't had any leaks, torqued at 12lbs. (No gasket sealer needed, just rubber on metal) I'll try to post the YouTube link.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:21 PM
James2000
Instructor

Default I think this is the link

Sorry, it was a c6 automatic fluid change on YouTube. Same technique, but the plug is on the side on c5 and the rear bolts aren't hidden under the suspension cross beam. Making the c5 easier. Napa sells a filter kit with a rubber gasket which I prefer. There are two kits one regular and one deep pan kit, I bought both to match up and mine took the deep pan kit and my trans pan is stock And I used valvoline dex III/Mercion from Walmart I did mine and haven't had any leaks, torqued at 12lbs. (No gasket sealer needed, just rubber on metal) I'll try to post the YouTube link.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Fluid/Filter and Rear Differential Fluid Change

Old 05-11-2016, 03:24 PM
James2000
Instructor

It worked, good luck! It was very easy, but I found it easy to use the top of a gear lube oil container and a hose and remove the rear drivers side tire. I didn't have a pump, but I have pretty strong forearms you are going to be squeezing those bottles.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM
James2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv
I see your in Hawaii, it must be frigging awesome driving with the top down on the island?!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 AM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I see your in Hawaii, it must be frigging awesome driving with the top down on the island?!
No complaints.

Quick Reply: Automatic Fluid/Filter and Rear Differential Fluid Change