C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filters suck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default K&N oil filters suck.

I changed the oil in my LS6 equipped 99 FRC a couple weeks back. I use Royal Purple and Auto Zone had a deal on RP and a K&N filter. After installing the filter and driving it, I notice burning oil smell and smoke coming up from the driver side. I changed the filter again, (yes, the first one was tight) and it was fine for about 20 miles and now it's leaking again! I also noticed this morning while getting on the freeway while heading home, my oil pressure had run up to 60 psi while under load and I think it was climbing!! It dropped back to about 40 while cruising. Since I bought both filters at the same time, they were probably from the same lot of bad filters. In 25 or more years of working on cars, I've never had this issue before.....and I'll never use K&N oil filters again!!!
The following users liked this post:
mrr23 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by red88L98convert
I changed the oil in my LS6 equipped 99 FRC a couple weeks back. I use Royal Purple and Auto Zone had a deal on RP and a K&N filter. After installing the filter and driving it, I notice burning oil smell and smoke coming up from the driver side. I changed the filter again, (yes, the first one was tight) and it was fine for about 20 miles and now it's leaking again! I also noticed this morning while getting on the freeway while heading home, my oil pressure had run up to 60 psi while under load and I think it was climbing!! It dropped back to about 40 while cruising. Since I bought both filters at the same time, they were probably from the same lot of bad filters. In 25 or more years of working on cars, I've never had this issue before.....and I'll never use K&N oil filters again!!!
I've been using K&N filters for about 8 years now and have never had a problem. Did the gasket from the old filter get stuck to the block.
mrr23 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bobtam
I've been using K&N filters for about 8 years now and have never had a problem. Did the gasket from the old filter get stuck to the block.
Definitely look for the old filter gasket to see if it may stuck to the face of the filter flange. Installing the new filter with that old gasket there can easily cause a leak and create smoke and a burning smell. I have used both K&N and Mobil-1 filters on both my '87 and '02 and never had a problem.

I always check the flange to make sure the old gasket is gone and then I wipe the area dry to make sure the new gasket (very lightly oiled) seals. It's always a good idea to make sure the new gasket is in place and the sealing surface is in good shape.

A pressure change can be the result of a number of things: Higher RPM with oil that is not up to a normal operating temp (usually 15-30 degrees above coolant temp) and then once the oil get to operating temp, pressure will drop some. You may also see an initial slightly higher pressure if you are using a heavier weight oil like a 15W-50 for track days.
mrr23 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 03:41 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 336 Likes on 247 Posts

Yep happened to me on last oil change. The old gasket was still in place, what a mess!!
mrr23 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Never had a problem in many cars. Sounds like yours was an installation error.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Lol........Since I've NEVER had this happen before and really would not expect something like this from a brand like K&N, I second guessed myself regarding the gasket. Of course, no old gasket. Who doesn't check for an old gasket and clean mating surfaces anyhow?? Then it happens a SECOND time?? Definitely a bad batch. It's pushing oil past the gasket. My guess is the oil bypass is messed up and causing the higher than normal oil pressure, which is causing oil to push out. Needless to say, I'm not driving it again until I have a chance to change it out.

On another note, it's so funny how jackholes on this forum will point to 'Installation error'! I mean, maybe you might screw up screwing on an oil filter, but........
Froggys's Apprentice (11-03-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

Not the only one and no install error:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-starting.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-leaks.html
Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Go get ya a WIX filter and install it... Report back on the results.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

or NAPA Gold filter, they are made by Wix. The NAPA Gold filter is a 1042.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

acdelco for me on all my cars except the toyota, they get toyota filter mostly
Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
or NAPA Gold filter, they are made by Wix. The NAPA Gold filter is a 1042.
We agree
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 AM
red88L98convert
Racer

Bill, I will def be replacing the filter later today and report back.
Not4spd, I posted on your poll question. So glad to hear I'm not the only one with an issue with K&N. I was a kid in the 80's when K&N became 'famous' and you HAD to have the red air filter on your car if you wanted any flow!!! Sad to know that their q.c. is not what it used to be!!

Last edited by red88L98convert; 11-02-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Lol........Since I've NEVER had this happen before and really would not expect something like this from a brand like K&N, I second guessed myself regarding the gasket. Of course, no old gasket. Who doesn't check for an old gasket and clean mating surfaces anyhow?? Then it happens a SECOND time?? Definitely a bad batch. It's pushing oil past the gasket. My guess is the oil bypass is messed up and causing the higher than normal oil pressure, which is causing oil to push out. Needless to say, I'm not driving it again until I have a chance to change it out.

On another note, it's so funny how jackholes on this forum will point to 'Installation error'! I mean, maybe you might screw up screwing on an oil filter, but........
If you're referring to me, well you probably are at least in part , yep, was pretty much a jackhole. I'll admit when I was wrong. On a good and coincidental note, got a new dog named Jack on the weekend.
Crazy weekend, didn't even read your OP right. Apologies, peace.
red88L98convert (03-12-2016)
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM
F-16 Vet
Intermediate

Location: Hell on earth - dry heat! only 118°in the shade Arizona - And yes we carry guns!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZ Should pull the Lot #

AZ Manager should do the right thing - reimbursement for the troubles (Voucher / Receipt for free RP and Filter next oil change) And pull the lot and send back to vendor for credit / So also so nobody else feels your pain. Only right thing to do. JMHO - Good luck!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Because you have never ever screwed up in your entire life.
grantv (11-03-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 PM
TNBUSA
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I have been using K&N oil filters for years on my daily drivers, big blocks, small blocks, all my LS vettes including my twin turbo C5Z...even my turbo busa. I have never had a problem...leaks or otherwise...guess i'm one lucky son of a gun.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 AM
red88L98convert
Racer

Originally Posted by huesmann
Because you have never ever screwed up in your entire life.
No.....I have never, ever, in my life, screwed up screwing on an oil filter. Did you read my post, or do you just like to troll?
The following 2 users liked this post by red88L98convert:
Froggys's Apprentice (11-03-2015), Sam Handwich (03-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To K&N oil filters suck.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No.....I have never, ever, in my life, screwed up screwing on an oil filter. Did you read my post, or do you just like to troll?
While i'm not a moderator but a user of the forum, I would like to remind you that post are viewed by all levels of owners with varying levels of mechanical abilities and experience. The information members pass on here is not only for you but for all readers of the post. While I have never had a oil filter gasket separate on removal and stay on the engine I must admit that while I do wipe off the mating surface I haven't really looked closely to ensure that the gasket has not separated. I do however look at the old filter as I remove it. As for cross threading an oil filter I personally have not done this but could see this happening even if very rare if a person was not carful when realigning the filter. I have another car where I have to be a bit of a contortionist to reinstall the filter and have to do it strictly by feel as I'm lying on my back on the garage floor with the car on stands and the filter sits at about 110 degree angle away from the engine, not 180 degrees as it is on the vett.

Take a deep breath and remember the overwhelming majority of the replies here are intended to help not insult you. We do not know your level expertise or your shop set up. We are simply here to try to help each other.
The following 3 users liked this post by Big_George_S:
grantv (11-03-2015), huesmann (11-03-2015), Olnavy (07-13-2016)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_George_S
While i'm not a moderator but a user of the forum, I would like to remind you that post are viewed by all levels of owners with varying levels of mechanical abilities and experience. The information members pass on here is not only for you but for all readers of the post. While I have never had a oil filter gasket separate on removal and stay on the engine I must admit that while I do wipe off the mating surface I haven't really looked closely to ensure that the gasket has not separated. I do however look at the old filter as I remove it. As for cross threading an oil filter I personally have not done this but could see this happening even if very rare if a person was not carful when realigning the filter. I have another car where I have to be a bit of a contortionist to reinstall the filter and have to do it strictly by feel as I'm lying on my back on the garage floor with the car on stands and the filter sits at about 110 degree angle away from the engine, not 180 degrees as it is on the vett.

Take a deep breath and remember the overwhelming majority of the replies here are intended to help not insult you. We do not know your level expertise or your shop set up. We are simply here to try to help each other.

Well stated!!!

Not directing this at the OP, but having been on this forum for 14 years, I have to say that on occasion I'm truly shocked at the lack of mechanical knowledge that is sometimes displayed, in the questions that are asked. Therefore, when we "more experienced" members are offering advice, sometimes we have to assume that the questioner has VERY limited mechanical knowledge, and therefore we answer accordingly.....
Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_George_S

Quick Reply: K&N oil filters suck.