C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Sloshing Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Christian327
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Water Sloshing Noise??

So I live in houston and as of right now, my wife and I dont have the luxury of a garage. It has been pretty rainy of late but rain never has been a huge problem in regards to where we live/flooding. Well I decided to take my car for a drive last night after a couple of days of just sitting in the driveway, and my wife and I would hear this weird sloshing sound coming from my side. Sounded like there was like a gallon or two of water/liquid just swirling around near the door side! We could only hear it when we were at a stop then accelerated or when we were accelerating and did a quick stop. The carpet was dry as could be, I checked the back compartments and they were dry. I checked the driver side door and nothing. Even unplugged the little stoppers at the bottom of the door and nothing really came out. It literally had sounded like there was a fish tank moving around. My wife thinks it was leftover water in the rear brake vents but I tried to check with a flash light and didnt see any build up of water there...Well this had me really scared so I went back out later last night to drive around and try to pin point the area but all of sudden I couldnt hear anything anymore. I went up and down the drive way and around the streets and the sound had vanished. I drove it to work this morning and it seems like it completely went away? Really confused, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like you may have had an air pocket in your heater core. Check your coolant level.
The following users liked this post:
Christian327 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Christian327
Racer

Ok will do! Thanks brother for the reply...We were using the heater too last night for the first time in a while, Idk if that gives more evidence to the problem. If it was the heater core & coolant level is low, then would just a simple flush/refill fix the problem?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, it probably was in the frame. There are four oblong openings in the frame that could have allowed water in the frames which are rectangular tubes. Water could go in those holes and drain out as well. Be sure to check your passenger footwell and make sure there was no water near the BCM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by k24556
Well, it probably was in the frame. There are four oblong openings in the frame that could have allowed water in the frames which are rectangular tubes. Water could go in those holes and drain out as well. Be sure to check your passenger footwell and make sure there was no water near the BCM.
Ok will check this as well...is that normal or is there a way to seal up those openings? thanks for the info!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would not want to seal up openings that were put there by the manufacturer. Water needs to be able to drain out of the frame since there are likely many ways for it to get in. Sealing holes on the bottom almost insures the frame will retain any water that does manage to get in and that would not be good.
For sure, makes sense...So would this be considered normal then? it really freaked me out. Im glad I cant hear anything anymore but it was just really weird hearing it.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

No i would not consider water inside the frame normal. No more than the flooding rains would be considered normal. In Fact, if the water got high enough to fill the frame, then I would be worrying about dampness inside the car as well. I would probably remove the seats and carpet if I found any dampness inside. Won't take long for it to smell like a gym bag in the car and there are some electronics that don't like water that are at floorboard level.

Last edited by k24556; 11-02-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Christian327
Racer

No i would not consider water inside the frame normal. No more than the flooding rains would be considered normal. In Fact, if the water got high enough to fill the frame, then I would be worrying about dampness inside the car as well. I would probably remove the seats and carpet if I found any dampness inside. Won't take long for it to smell like a gym bag in the car and there are some electronics that don't like water that are at floorboard level.
But thats the thing, my car was way up in the drive way. No way waters reached that high. I kept my eye on the rain the whole time too. It barely gets puddled up in our streets because the drainage is pretty good. I didnt feel any dampness by touching the carpet but I will soon remove it just to make sure. Honestly, I cant wait until we move and get our own garage. But until then, the houston weather can be a real pain sometimes.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
At this point we don't know that there was actually water in the frame.

If there was water in it then something would have had to be blocking the holes in the frame so that water that got in could not get out. I would try to get the car up on jack stands and check those holes. Is there any possibility that rodents could have gotten in and began making a nest that could have blocked the holes and that the water that did get in eventually washed the nest out???

I would definitely check the suggestions other posters have made....
Definitely going to check out all of these suggestions! Are the holes under the frame easily visible? I will put it on jack stands today after work. I dont think there are any rodents because I daily drive the car and it is parked in different spots some times. It was just a couple days since I drove it because of the weather. But I will definitely check that possibility out too!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. the front ones are directly down from the door hinge seam. The rears are a foot or so forward of the wheel well. There is a cutout in the rocker panel where the holes are. The holes are about an inch and and eight long and maybe three quarters of an inch wide.

The original use of the holes is for tie-downs during shipment on a transporter. They are usually used by the owner as the reference point for jacking up the car. A hockey puck and a low profile racing jackare all you need.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Christian327
Racer

Yes. the front ones are directly down from the door hinge seam. The rears are a foot or so forward of the wheel well. There is a cutout in the rocker panel where the holes are. The holes are about an inch and and eight long and maybe three quarters of an inch wide.

The original use of the holes is for tie-downs during shipment on a transporter. They are usually used by the owner as the reference point for jacking up the car. A hockey puck and a low profile racing jackare all you need.
Ok awesome. Will check it out today! thank you guys a bunch.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
Probably way off here but any chance the wiper motor area has water in it

Due to blocked udders , just a thought mate . I have never had that problem so not sure if or what that would sound like .

Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Hi
Probably way off here but any chance the wiper motor area has water in it

Due to blocked udders , just a thought mate . I have never had that problem so not sure if or what that would sound like .

I'd sure check that!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:19 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It sounds like wherever the water was had a slow leak that let it eventually drain.

Definitely check the udders/cowl area on the drivers side.

your description sure sounds like the door had water in it. I believe the rubber plugs would drain the door but then I'm recalling other drain holes in the door as well. Did you check if they were clear?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It sounds like wherever the water was had a slow leak that let it eventually drain.

Definitely check the udders/cowl area on the drivers side.

your description sure sounds like the door had water in it. I believe the rubber plugs would drain the door but then I'm recalling other drain holes in the door as well. Did you check if they were clear?
I didn't have much time today to check but I did check the udders, is there supposed to be a slit opening in them? One of them seemed to have an opening. Anyways, they had some debris in it but we're pretty dry. Yesterday when the sound was making noise I tried moving the door around and there was no indication of water being in the door. Left me feeling a little comforted that it wasn't in the door, but just left me more confused. It sounded like it was coming from my side but almost towards the back/door side. The rubber plugs were pretty dry though & gave no indication of a lot of water either. Well anyways the water noise is completely gone now. Coolant levels seems at a decent spot but I am going to flush it out soon bc I haven't yet flushed the fluid since purchasing the vehicle. I just pray there wasn't any permanent damage because of this.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

I wonder if your drains around the rear hatch are plugged / slow draining. That would account for the sloshing sound being at the rear of the door. I'm not sure but I think there are four drains around the hatch (one in each corner).
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I wonder if your drains around the rear hatch are plugged / slow draining. That would account for the sloshing sound being at the rear of the door. I'm not sure but I think there are four drains around the hatch (one in each corner).
Hmmm, that sounds reasonable too...Are these rear hatch drains easily visible from underneath? I will try to put it on jack stands today and check it out. Thanks for the input brother.

Get notified of new replies

To Water Sloshing Noise??

Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian327
Hmmm, that sounds reasonable too...Are these rear hatch drains easily visible from underneath? I will try to put it on jack stands today and check it out. Thanks for the input brother.
I don't know how visible they would be from underneath. I have a Z06 so the rear of my car is a little different and quite honestly never looked.

I would just pour some water in the track around the perimeter and see if it drains. If is does, no need to search further. A lot quicker and easier than jacking up the car.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I don't know how visible they would be from underneath. I have a Z06 so the rear of my car is a little different and quite honestly never looked.

I would just pour some water in the track around the perimeter and see if it drains. If is does, no need to search further. A lot quicker and easier than jacking up the car.
Wise words lol Time for a car wash anyways
Old 11-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YOU HAVE TRAPPED water inside you HVAC AIR BOX.

Theres a rubber 90 deg fitting on the passengers side fire wall. Its there to allow HVAC Evaporator condensate to drain out of the air box.

NOTE!!! Check your passengers side carpet and under the carpet and see if it wet/damp.

Heres a picture of the fitting. You have to get UNDER the car to access it. The nipple end is stuck shut OR full of a SNOT stuff and the water cant drain.

If you pop the fitting off the pipe, and water gushes ou, you solved part of the problem. If no water comes out, the air box drain hole may be plugged. Use a tiewrap to fish in and push out the plug.

If you look at the rear of the passengers side head with a flashlight, you will see a bump on the fire wall where that fitting lives. Its VERY DIFFICULT if not impossible to access from the top.

Headers makes it FUN to access also!
Jbs1969gto (09-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Water Sloshing Noise??