C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deciding on x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 PM
GuT3RR
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deciding on x-pipe

So ive decided to shop around for an x-pipe for my 01 base c5. After doing some research i see that alot of x pipes require a certain header usually of the same brand. My exhaust is stock other than my SLP loudmouth axle back. Are there any recommendations for an Xpipe that would fit on to my stock headers and the slp axle back? I will also be purchasing long tubes in the future so that is another factor in the equation.

Or would a cat delete be a better option?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I would wait til you do the headers, I went with XS Power headers and X-pipe with high flow cats, that system was around 800.00 and I love the sound and performance !!!!!!
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by akapounder
I would wait til you do the headers
... nearly all of the popular longtubes for these cars come with an xpipe incorporated into the system... all of the xpipes I have seen that do not come with headers will require welding at the manifold side, so basically you would be wasting money and time doing that if you're going to buy a complete system later on
Old 02-07-2016, 12:40 PM
paoutlaw
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the others about waiting if you are going to install headers at some point. However, if you are going to stay with stock manifolds, an x-pipe is a good option. I have a 2001 coupe with a SLP Powerflow exhaust and a Borla x- pipe, both installed at the same time. The Borla x-pipe requires cutting the stock h- pipe to install. This x-pipe did not require welding and is leak free. If you follow the instructions it is an easy thing to do. I am happy with this system and would do it again. This system has been on my car for about 6 years. Hope this helps.

The Outlaw
Old 02-07-2016, 04:52 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by paoutlaw
I agree with the others about waiting if you are going to install headers at some point. However, if you are going to stay with stock manifolds, an x-pipe is a good option. I have a 2001 coupe with a SLP Powerflow exhaust and a Borla x- pipe, both installed at the same time. The Borla x-pipe requires cutting the stock h- pipe to install. This x-pipe did not require welding and is leak free. If you follow the instructions it is an easy thing to do. I am happy with this system and would do it again. This system has been on my car for about 6 years. Hope this helps.

The Outlaw

I have done it both ways. I have one that has LG headers with their X pipe and another one had the stock manifolds/cats and I used a Corsa X pipe. With the stock manifolds cats I did not weld it either. Band clamps work well and it is an easy job.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree that if you are going to do headers at some point, wait until then to get an X-pipe with the system. If you weren't going to do headers, I would recommend a Bassani X-pipe. Had one on my '00 and it was a high quality item.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I used to have a Corsa X-pipe mated to my stock mid-pipe. It was a cut and clamp ... no welding required, and I never had any issues out of it.

But more recently my cats went **** up, so I replaced the entire midpipe with a Flowmaster setup which bolts to the stock manifold.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What are your GOALS for installing an X PIPE??????

If its more POWER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Anything that you do from the CATS BACK on a mostly STOCK engine will NOT add significant power!

If you removed the entire exhaust system from the car, you would probably only see 12-13 HP.

The X Pipe will change the exhaust note more than anything. You will see less exhaust gurgle and pop with an X pipe.

If you have to have one, just find one that will fit in where the old H pipe is now. Ease if installation is what you need to look for at this point.

Here is what your STOCK MID PIPE looks like with the poorly engineered H pipe: ( you may or may not have the PUP CATs)

This is what an XS Power header and cat back system looks like:

This is a Stainless Works entire system in 3" SS with a slip fit X pipe. Make sure that you get the correct dia X pipe if you install one on your system:

Im with the majority of the people who say,, Save your bucks and get a TOTAL Header, mid pipe and muffler system and get your car TUNED with a purpose built system. You will thank us later.

Get notified of new replies

To deciding on x-pipe

Quick Reply: deciding on x-pipe