C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2001 Coupe

A friend has a 2001 Coupe with "Service Vehicle Soon" showing on the DIC and a Check Engine Light. The codes were for a Oxygen Sensors Bank 1 and Bank 2. They had previously been replaced so I cleared the Check Engine Codes and the Check Engine Light went out. The "Service Vehicle Soon" DIC message would not go out until I hit and held Reset on the DIC.

He drove home and the DIC came back on with the "Service Vehicle Soon" warning. All that the Owner's Manual says for the "Service Vehicle Soon" message is to take your vehicle to your dealer.

There are no DTC in any of the computers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by jsucraig; 05-15-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I have a Launch Tech CReader CRP123. I pulled the codes with and without the engine running. There were several codes with the engine off for all 4 O2 Sensors and heaters. With the engine running and at operating temperature the codes were still there, but each Sensor passed when the CReader tested them. I cleared the codes with the engine off and then again with the engine running to clear those codes that weren't recorded. I reset the "Service Vehicle Soon" DIC Message which was the only message displayed.

There were a couple of Emission Codes with the engine running. One of the codes was an Evap fault, I think. If I hadn't left my reader at home or had printed it out yesterday I would be able to give all of the codes. I can give codes tonight.

For what it's worth the Corvette came with an aftermarket Axleback systems that is of the "Bullet" style with no mufflers, per se, only two pipes with resonator tips. The exhaust from the manifolds back is stock. This is my friend's first Vette, has had the vehicle for 1-2 years, and didn't realize that it had aftermarket exhaust. He doesn't know anything about needing tuning for adding aftermarket performance parts. He has the pre-PCM/TCM/BCM train of thought: Throw in a performance air filter, new carb, cam, exhaust, and go.

He also has an exhaust leak on the passenger side at the weld where the 'bullet' attaches to the pipe. I'm not concerned about that because it is so far back that it isn't going to hurt anything just give a little popping when he lets off of the gas. People usually pay extra for that.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:04 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Thanks again, I didn't know that. I have owned two C6s a '06 and now a '13 never a C5.

Last edited by jsucraig; 05-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

I know that's why I didn't know you could do it on a C5 and why I bought my reader. I kept getting SRS warnings and the dealership was not fixing the problem. It has now been fixed by me.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

I will, thanks. It may be awhile before I can get back to it.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Also check for obvious vacuum leaks and for the general tightness of the clamps on the air intake tubes from the air cleaner back to the throttle body. Those can cause a slight lean condition and trigger the O2 sensor codes.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:49 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

I checked the Gas Cap and looked at the clamps on the intake back to the throttle body, but I forgot about the PCV system.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Codes from my scanner:
P0133 HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0135 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0161 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2
P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1153 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1

P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit
P1869 Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit

U1000 Loss of Serial Communications Class 2
U1000 Loss of Serial Communications Class 2

It must not have stored the EVAP Codes because the last report says:
DTC: The Vehicle has no fault Codes
DTC: The Vehicle has no fault Codes

I haven't had the opportunity to get the new code from the DIC. The soonest that I will be able to get them is this Friday afternoon. I am going on vacation Saturday through Memorial Day.

Last edited by jsucraig; 05-16-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Coupe

Quick Reply: 2001 Coupe