C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar End Links

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 PM
curtbriggs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Metal rod ends.

Originally Posted by mwbgtb
I recently purchased a 2000 coupe auto ( completely stock) with 65kmiles on it and it will be my casual car since I am now retired. This car will not be raced or driven hard and I need your options on the sway bar end links.
Looking at old threads, it seems like some people use the Moog (K90454/5) or the genuine GM (K750136).
Is one any better than the other for my purpose? Also,
Since the backs are the ones that are worn, would it make sense to replace all 4 at the same time?
Thanks to all that respond to this thread.
I have custom adjustable bars on my C5 6M coupe and I wonder if the others with metal bar ends have the road noise that I do. The rougher the road texture the louder the noise is. I have a wide body kit and ZR1 size wheels and Michelin PS 2 ZP ZR1 size tires. The handling is unbelievable and I don't care about the road noise but in your case you won't like it.
Cheers, Curt
Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

A “ casual car” Corvette for a new retiree ???...unheard of...LOL !!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by curtbriggs
I have custom adjustable bars on my C5 6M coupe and I wonder if the others with metal bar ends have the road noise that I do. The rougher the road texture the louder the noise is. I have a wide body kit and ZR1 size wheels and Michelin PS 2 ZP ZR1 size tires. The handling is unbelievable and I don't care about the road noise but in your case you won't like it.
Cheers, Curt
I replaced my worn bar ends with the metal ones. I did them at the same time as shocks. The combo snugged things up nicely. No extra road noise either.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by rwobs777
A “ casual car” Corvette for a new retiree ???...unheard of...LOL !!
The perfect ride....I think its a great fit.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Probably fine, endlinks aren't exactly sophiscated. Highly suggest MOOG tho, greasable is a nice feature to make them last awhile.
I'd like to bump this older thread to comment on MOOG endlinks.

For the past 6 months I've had your classic sway-bar clunking noise, it's gotten worse and worse as the roads get worse and worse via plowing. I went over my front end last weekend and greased my end-links, tie rods, and my leaf spring bushings. Didn't help at all!

So this weekend, I removed the swaybar and end-links entirely and went for a little drive around the neighborhood. It was the end-links! My 1.5 year old MOOG p/n K750136 endlinks were binding and making a ton of noise! They had been greased 3 times over the 18ish months I had them. The ball joints in the links is still very stiff and tight, but very rough as you move through their range. Both MOOG boxes said "Made in Mexico" on them, not sure if thats of any importance.

Luckily I had kept my stock end-links around, I threw them on and they were perfectly quiet! The bushings are torn on them so it's a bit of a temporary fix.

Google "MOOG quality decline" and you'll see that this is becoming pretty common for a formerly high quality aftermarket parts manufacturer. They were the "good" Problem solver line!

Anyways, food for thought, thinking I'll just stick to OEM endlinks from now on...
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
I'd like to bump this older thread to comment on MOOG endlinks.

...snip...

Anyways, food for thought, thinking I'll just stick to OEM endlinks from now on...
I believe this is due to the style of joint. I believe that the heim-joints are noisy and will clunk anyway. Heim joint will always clunk because it's just metal on metal. They will outlast ball-socket style in terms of performance but you have to be able to not mind the clunk from time to time. I'm not defending MOOG if, indeed, their quality has dropped over the years. But this is a debate I'm having with myself on whether to get the Heim style or get the older bushing style. I'm even reading that regreasable doesn't really do too much since by the time the grease really breaks down (or if the rubber starts cracking and leaking), its probably just worth it to replace them anyway since they are so easy, inexpensive to do so. As far as the debate continues to rage, I might just buy OEM style, get it over with, and then plan on replacing them every other year or three.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mellojoe
I believe this is due to the style of joint. I believe that the heim-joints are noisy and will clunk anyway. Heim joint will always clunk because it's just metal on metal. They will outlast ball-socket style in terms of performance but you have to be able to not mind the clunk from time to time. I'm not defending MOOG if, indeed, their quality has dropped over the years. But this is a debate I'm having with myself on whether to get the Heim style or get the older bushing style. I'm even reading that regreasable doesn't really do too much since by the time the grease really breaks down (or if the rubber starts cracking and leaking), its probably just worth it to replace them anyway since they are so easy, inexpensive to do so. As far as the debate continues to rage, I might just buy OEM style, get it over with, and then plan on replacing them every other year or three.
I went with ProForged endlinks 2nd time around. Oh boy doing endlinks 3 times was fun!

They seem to be a newer brand, but very quality. Boots look very tough, and the overall piece seems pretty rugged. No zerks fittings, but that's fine with me.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar End Links