C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer/hub centric question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:39 PM
C5droptop99
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacer/hub centric question

Hey everybody, I have a question about how I should go about spacing my new wheels. I purchased a set of C6 Z06 replica wheels and I mounted them on my C5. I have the car on my lift right now but I can already see that the rears are rubbing the inner liner.

They are this set sethttp://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/product/2005-2013-c6-z06-wheels-chrome-18x95-11x19-set-of-4-642161-1

I am wondering if I should do hubcentric spacers and if so, what size should I get? Has anybody done the hubcentrics at 1" and if so, how does that work because I measured the studs and they are 1 and 5/8 inches. Wouldn't they hit the inside of rim?

If they will work, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get them? I have found them on eBay but I am suspicious.

Thank you for any and all help. I just whar to do what is right on my c5 and not have any issues. Thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought 25mm adapters from motorsport-tech.com. I have 2008 C6 wheels. The part without any threads on the stock bolts do stick out past the adapter but my C6 wheel has a gap where it doesn't hit so I didn't need to modify it. If you don't have that gap or if you went any smaller than a 25mm you may need to trim down the stud.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Sterling04
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A SPACER is different from an ADAPTER. An adapter uses the cars original wheel studs to attach a spacer to the hub. You can use the adapter to change the bolt circle diameter or the number of studs as well as space the wheel out from the hub. The thickness of the adapter determines the spacing. Most, but not all adapters require that you trim the wheel studs for them to fit the wheel without the studs hitting the backside of the wheel. A SPACER more than 1/4" will require the use of longer studs. If you go with the longer studs I would recommend the use of ARP studs. Some people do NOT recommend the use of long studs with a spacer. The spacer or the adapter changes the relationship of the wheel bearings to the center of the wheel and puts more stress on the bearings and studs resulting in possible premature failure. Many people however run spacers or adapters with NO problems whatsoever! With all that being said, for the past 2+ years I have been running CCW 505a C6 wheels with long studs and a 1" spacer on my 2004 C5 base coupe with no problems. When I first installed the wheels without the spacer the tires also rubbed the inner liner in the rear. The spacer solved that problem. (295/35-19 on the rear, 275/35-18 front) No problem on the front. I hope this answers your question and helps you solve your problem! Sorry about the length, but the answer is longer than a yes or no!

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacer/hub centric question

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer/hub centric question