C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idler pulleys with no Chinese bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Electron2002
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idler pulleys with no Chinese bearings?

It doesn't look like I am going to be able to source the Nuline idler pulleys I want for replacing the idlers and the belt tensioner pulleys. I went ahead and ordered the Dayco pulleys, which are listed as US made. In reality though they are only assembled in the US. 3 of the 4 pulleys (the 2 A/C pulleys, and the accessory tensioner pulley) arrived with Canadian NTN bearings and I'm good with these 3. But the accessory idler pulley has a crappy Chinese bearing in it. I'm not cool with that.

Has anyone here recently replaced their idler pulleys and had a better bearing in the accessory idler?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:14 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Might want to double-check the part number, but I think that idler uses a standard 6203 bearing, which is a very common and cheap part. If you have access to a press, you can easily press out the junk bearing and install a quality one. It's about a 5-minute job.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Electron2002
Racer

I have considered that, but they have this wonderful tendency to glue the bearing into the pulley. They certainly did this on the Dayco pulley, but I'd have to check the OE pulley after its removed.

I know I've heard others say that the pulley gets ruined if you try to press the bearings.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess it depends if the pulley is plastic or metal. I pressed a new bearing into my OEM metal pulley and it turned out just fine. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Electron2002
Racer

Okay. Well hopefully that can work for me then too.

Get notified of new replies

To Idler pulleys with no Chinese bearings?

Quick Reply: Idler pulleys with no Chinese bearings?