C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 C5 Engine dies when throttling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 C5 Engine dies when throttling?

I am having a problem when I push the accelerator the engine dies. The engine idles okay. Just when I accelerate engine dies, anyone have the same problem?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnterry
I am having a problem when I push the accelerator the engine dies. The engine idles okay. Just when I accelerate engine dies, anyone have the same problem?
Do you have a column lock warning on the DIC ?????
The following users liked this post:
vettnterry (08-25-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default No

Originally Posted by akapounder
No Column lock warning..
Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default Vette dies

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to clarify exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to move the car with it in gear when the engine stalls??

Is the car in neutral (park if it's an automatic) and you are trying to raise the RPM's??

You should pull and post all your codes.

If you have never done this here is how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

List ALL your codes and the H or C or HC that follows each 5 character code.

List the codes under the sensor they show under. ie 10 - PCM or 28 - TCS or 40 - BCM......... etc
The Vette is fine when in reverse, when I shift into 1st gear and start forward the engine dies, restarting the engine is no problem, but each time I shift into 1st gear, after starting and let the clutch out the engine dies? This is the first time I have ever had a serious problem with my 98 Vette,I am the first and only owner and it has 19,000 miles on it. I will run the codes and see what comes up. Thanks for your help
Old 08-22-2016, 03:31 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default Vette Dies when shifting to 1st gear

I ran the codes and here is what I got: AO-LDCM B2262H, AO-LCDM B2264H, 28 TCS C1255H, AI-RDCM B2263H, AI-RDCM B2265H, AI-U1064H, AI-ACM B0856H.
I did not receive any new codes?
Thanks for your help..
Old 08-22-2016, 07:15 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default codes

Can you please check again and see if you have any of these codes

40 - BCM
B2587
B2588
B2592
B2593

Your stalling symptoms sound very much like the Column Lock 2mph fuel shutoff. The LDCM and RDCM codes are indicative of a recent battery related event. Have you had the battery recently disconnected/reconnected?? I suggest that you pull the battery and have it load tested. If it is low it will cause column lock related issues such as the 2mph fuel shutoff.

If you have a digital multi meter, measure the voltage across the battery posts. If the voltage is 12.5 or less then I would highly suspect the column lock 2mph fuel shutoff. A good battery at full charge measured across the battery posts with the key OFF should measure 12.7 to 12.9 volts or more. Don't bother reading the voltage off the dash gauges as they measure the output voltage of the alternator with the engine running. Hence they monitor the state of health of the charging system and NOT the state of health of the battery.
I just ran codes again and I don't get any 40-BCM codes. The battery with a volt meter is showing 12.8 and fully charged at this time. In the past I have been disconnecting the battery to stop the draw.
I have had the battery draw recently which I have given up trying to locate, I have tried everything to locate the draw problem.

I really do appreciate your help with this..
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is the car FREE to roll forward??????

Can you push it in the forward direction???

Clear ALL the DTCs and attempt to let the clutch out and as soon as the engine stalls, (WITHOUT turning off the ignition) clear any DIC messages by pressing reset and then read the DTC.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
vettnterry (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default Running problem fixed

With the possible exception of the TCS C1255 code, all the others are MOST likely the result of your disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The battery cable makes and breaks electrical connectivity with the battery post and this powering up and powering down of the sensors rapidly cause them to generate bogus codes. Some codes are known to disappear when the ignition is changed from on to off. To try and gather some additional information from the computers please read on.

Please try this:

1) disconnect the battery for at least 1 hour.

2) reconnect the battery

3) pull the codes and then clear ALL of them. See the video above for how to clear the codes. Doesn't matter what these codes are so don't bother writing them down

4) start the engine and let it idle.

5) pull the codes with the engine running. To pull codes with the engine running you MUST use the reset button to clear all messaged in the DIC. Then pull codes as normal.

6) save those codes to post back here in this thread.

7) try to drive the car. If it stalls please pull the codes again.

Post the codes that you have collected in this thread.
Found the problem causing engine stall and the fix was stupid on my part. Dex-Cool was low, I added a half gallon, drove the Vette and it now accelerates and runs great.
I did pull all the codes as you instructed, reset and cleared all codes except the A0-LCDM B2262H, B2264H, A1-RDCM B2263H, B2265H, These History codes are determined to stay there..
I checked the codes again and there are no new codes..

I still have the draw on the battery and it has totally baffled me..

Thank you for taking your time to help me with my Vette problem, I really appreciate it....
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Default no column lock

Originally Posted by akapounder
I don't have a column lock on the DIC, thanks for you input..

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 C5 Engine dies when throttling?

Quick Reply: 1998 C5 Engine dies when throttling?