C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess my driver's door electrical problem....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Guess my driver's door electrical problem....

More just a head-exercise at this point as I plan on taking the door apart in the next week or so, but maybe someone here can save me the waterboarding I have planed.

I've only had this car about two months. EVERYTHING works just fine with the door. But I washed the car very well for the first time last weekend. After the wash, the driver's door lock still worked, but made a horrible solenoid-buzz-type noise for about two seconds when I locked or unlocked it with the remote. I didn't have the presence of mind to try the interior switch, as I was in a hurry to get going somewhere else. It did this for two days and now again works just fine. I'm assuming that something that wasn't supposed to get wet, did, and eventually dried out.

Also, I opened the already-unlocked driver's door the next day and the alarm went off. A quick scramble for the key fob and it went off properly and hasn't done it again.

My gut tells me that door module would be the culprit, but perhaps the lock solenoid is also a possibility.

Anyone dealt with the same symptoms can give me a clue?

I figure on wetting components one-by-one in the near future, but it'd be nice to hear some opinions first.

Thank you,
Tom
Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

i would not plan on getting them wet again if you don't have to,
Take the inner door panel off, and check for water stains. Then check for heated, or burn spots.
Then I would check to see that the weatherproofing materials are intact on various components. (door control module, etc.)
Then make sure the window seals are touching the windows, door gaskets are good, and then check the wiring rubber bellows in the forward door jam wasn't crimped or torn, exposing wires that may have their insulation impinged upon.
The door modules and other things usually have gaskets, o rings, periphery sealant covering the gaps and surface mate area imperfections.
those are the things i would focus my attention on and reseal them

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 09-14-2016 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
any4xx (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Sounds like both the solenoid and the door module. The solenoid was sticking and not locking the door. A solenoid buzzes badly if you energize it but it doesn't move. The stuck solenoid then burned out the relay in the door module so it no longer locks the door.

The alarm would not sound if the door was locked and you use the FOB or the key to unlock it since either disables the alarm. So, you probably locked the car but the door never actually locked.

Get notified of new replies

To Guess my driver's door electrical problem....

Quick Reply: Guess my driver's door electrical problem....