C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull Key, Wait 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 AM
esfontes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pull Key, Wait 10 seconds

Hi Folks
I'm new member having recently picked up a 2000 Coupe, this car has all the quirks that I'm reading about in the forums, love the car and will deal with them one by one. The one that is driving me crazy is the "Pull Key" issue, the car already had the CLB and CAGS bypasses installed, I replaced the battery with a #78 and replaced the ignition switch, which was badly pitted, new key and still get "Pull Key", whats left?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by esfontes
Hi Folks
I'm new member having recently picked up a 2000 Coupe, this car has all the quirks that I'm reading about in the forums, love the car and will deal with them one by one. The one that is driving me crazy is the "Pull Key" issue, the car already had the CLB and CAGS bypasses installed, I replaced the battery with a #78 and replaced the ignition switch, which was badly pitted, new key and still get "Pull Key", whats left?
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5whoneeds1.html
Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 AM
esfontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
My Vette already has that module installed, even tried the alternate method in the instructions, that made it worse
Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM
esfontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Give them a call and discuss your symptoms with Richard. They are located in Calif so conside the time difference when you call. Their number is on their web site. He is usually around on weekends.
One thing I did not do when I did the brown wire mod was disconnect the battery, does it need to be disconnected to reset the BCM ?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 PM
royal flush
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

One thing I did not do when I did the brown wire mod was disconnect the battery, does it need to be disconnected to reset the BCM ?
Yes you should have disc. battery--try disc. now and wait 15 minutes and see what happens-also when you pull key out--do you hear 2 clicks comming from pass footwell?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:19 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by royal flush
Yes you should have disc. battery--try disc. now and wait 15 minutes and see what happens-also when you pull key out--do you hear 2 clicks comming from pass footwell?
I disconnected the battery and did the mod as i did before, it makes it worse I get pull key and service CL, I do get two clicks whenI remove the key, I put it back the way it was for now
Old 09-18-2016, 01:37 PM
royal flush
Racer

I disconnected the battery and did the mod as i did before, it makes it worse I get pull key and service CL, I do get two clicks whenI remove the key, I put it back the way it was for now
The BCM is out of tune with LMC5--call Richard asap==could be a bad lmc5--he will know!!I would take everything apart and start over with lmc5 install--disc. battery first--wont take you long to do--MAKE SURE all wires go to correct space-on connectors-

Last edited by royal flush; 09-18-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 PM
royal flush
Racer

I strongly suggest that you talk to Compliance BEFORE you take things apart.
Disc. the neg battery--pull bcm out--disc. all 3 connectors--now check to make SURE that all 4 wires from the lmc5 are in the right places--first thing Richard will ask--
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by royal flush
Disc. the neg battery--pull bcm out--disc. all 3 connectors--now check to make SURE that all 4 wires from the lmc5 are in the right places--first thing Richard will ask--
OK so I checked all the wires and they were correct, I installed a new LMC5, talking to Richard all the while, did the brown wire mod which again made it worse, back to original wiring, just Pull Key message occassionaly, no BCM codes of any importance, Richard says POSSIBLY the BCM, any thoughts or just deal with the message ?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

CLB on a 99 or 2000 will work if you have bypassed the Column Lock Relay. Otherwise they are problematic. .
Can you expand on that? I have a '99 with the CLB. I have not had an issue so far. What problems can occur and exactly what needs to be done to prevent them, if I stay with the CLB? I have other things to spend the $50 on, if the CLB can be made to work reliably. We can take this to PM's so we don't muddy up this thread.

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-19-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Old age creeping in again. I clarified the post above to state that the column lock relay needs to be bypassed on MANUAL trans 99 and 2000 cars. Is your 99 an automatic? If so then the CLB should work fine with no other special attention.

If your car is a manual trans then post that back here and I will continue in a PM what happens without bypassing the CLR.
My Vet is manual, the CLB had been performed and the connector plug is disconnected, Richard is at a loss saying that he can't think of anything but the BCM, I checked voltage at the #23 fuse as he suggested and it read battery voltage
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

There is a distinct difference between a CLB and an LMC5. What your car has is an LMC5. One MAJOR difference between a CLB and an LMC5 is that the CLB is installed under the drivers side knee bolster and relies on factory or recall wiring to function. The LMC5 is installed right at the BCM and therefore abandons all factory and recall wiring after the BCM.

I would ask you one question about the BCM in your car. Does it have any white residue/stains on the aluminum can that the BCM board is inside of?

If so then the BCM has most likely gotten wet at some point in its life and that can cause MANY strange problems with the electronics in the car, not just the column lock function.

I would be interested
I assumed the CLB had been done as I can move the steering wheel and as i said the connector has been disconnected, I failed to mention that I just installed a new LMC5 just in case, my BCM is spotless with no signs of moisture
Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Try again to disconnect battery for 15 min..cant hurt--resets everything--but richarard is likley right--bcm is the culprit The brown wire mode has fixed every out of tune BCM with the LMC5--with getting the service column or pull key message--this is a first-

Last edited by bobby777; 09-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Old age creeping in again. I clarified the post above to state that the column lock relay needs to be bypassed on MANUAL trans 99 and 2000 cars. Is your 99 an automatic? If so then the CLB should work fine with no other special attention.

If your car is a manual trans then post that back here and I will continue in a PM what happens without bypassing the CLR.
'99 FRC MN6 manual transmission.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Please check you PM's............
OK its been over a month and still no solution, I can't be the only one that can't get rid of the "Pull Key" message, I've done the module replacement including the brown wire mod, new ignition switch, new key,new battery, checked the BCM grounds still get the message first start of the day and then intermittent the rest of the day. I've talked extensively to Richard and he too is puzzled, I know its only a nuisance but I want it GONE !!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

OK its been over a month and still no solution, I can't be the only one that can't get rid of the "Pull Key" message, I've done the module replacement including the brown wire mod, new ignition switch, new key,new battery, checked the BCM grounds still get the message first start of the day and then intermittent the rest of the day. I've talked extensively to Richard and he too is puzzled, I know its only a nuisance but I want it GONE !!
did you remove the relay, mentioned in the instructions ??? (I'm sure Richard would have said the same but worth asking)
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
did you remove the relay, mentioned in the instructions ??? (I'm sure Richard would have said the same but worth asking)
Removed and replaced with a new one

Get notified of new replies

To Pull Key, Wait 10 seconds

Old 10-14-2016, 03:38 PM
esfontes
Intermediate

Removed and replaced with a new one
Sorry wrong one, the original relay had previously been removed
Old 10-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Pounder