C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting issue after reverse lockout failure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Shifting issue after reverse lockout failure.

Had a reverse solenoid lockout failure and found out the hard way. When going from 4th to 5th had the dreaded grind before discovering failure. (I ground it a few times at speed). Now I feel the shifts are notchy from gear to gear. I replaced tranny oil and it helped immensely but I feel it is not the same tranny as before failure. Could I have done some serious damage to tranny by said failure. Anyone
Old 11-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I would try and realign the shifter and check the bushings.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by akapounder
I would try and realign the shifter and check the bushings.
Thanks AKA, that is what I think I will do since it is a MGW shifter (has a aftermarket shifter) that no locktite was used when originally installed, maybe it moved. Hopefully I did not do any tranny damage...
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I would try the realignment. I had a similar occurrence with my shifter, I hadn't noticed immediately that the lockout suddenly failed. Shifter has actually gotten better on its own. If you haven't repaired it yet, the lockout is available on Amazon. The shop manual says you have to lower the trans to install it. It certainly looks that way when you first locate the lockout. I said no way and I was determined to not remove the trans, it's a bitch of a job. Pretty much by feel I figured I could change it without moving the trans. It took quite a while to do but still less than lowering the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
El original (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Make sure the shifter MOUNT BUSHINGS on the torque tube are not worn/torn/deteriorated and the four shifter to base fasteners are tight.

BC
El original (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 01:18 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by striper
I would try the realignment. I had a similar occurrence with my shifter, I hadn't noticed immediately that the lockout suddenly failed. Shifter has actually gotten better on its own. If you haven't repaired it yet, the lockout is available on Amazon. The shop manual says you have to lower the trans to install it. It certainly looks that way when you first locate the lockout. I said no way and I was determined to not remove the trans, it's a bitch of a job. Pretty much by feel I figured I could change it without moving the trans. It took quite a while to do but still less than lowering the transmission.
Thankyou, I had it done at the GM dealership for $75- flat rate after I printed off instructions on how to do it (as you mentioned). The solenoid was $145- so I figure I did well on that move. The dealership service writer never heard of a solenoid failing, because I was the first one he gave me a deal. Just hope I did not do any lasting damage with the dreaded Grrrrind, grind! (till I figured out what was happening) Rob
Old 11-09-2016, 01:20 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Make sure the shifter MOUNT BUSHINGS on the torque tube are not worn/torn/deteriorated and the four shifter to base fasteners are tight.

BC
Thanks Bill for the great idea, when I installed the MGW the bushings were pooched...will have to purchase some new ones. It was on my to do list, lol.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

GM only sells them with a NEW SHIFTER. Check with ZIP CORVETTE PARTS as I think I remember them selling upgraded nylon bushings..

Bill
El original (11-09-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 07:55 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by striper
I am happy to report the tranny has gotten better on its own also....whats with that? I don't think anyone can say but it is back to its old self and I could not be happier. I replaced solenoid and tranny fluid so should be good it that dept for years to come. Thankyou all. Rob
Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
I am happy to report the tranny has gotten better on its own also....whats with that? I don't think anyone can say but it is back to its old self and I could not be happier. I replaced solenoid and tranny fluid so should be good it that dept for years to come. Thankyou all. Rob
Old 05-07-2018, 04:24 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

so I hate resurrecting a 2 yr old thread... but felt it was worth adding. I changed my reverse lockout solenoid thinking it might have been on its way out. After the proper install. I couldn't access any gears. It literally felt like the shifter was froze solid in place in the neutral gate. I couldn't access any gears. I was like WTF! I did everything perfect. I calmed down. Shut the car off, waited 30 seconds, then restarted it. I then could pop it into any gear. I took it out. It felt tougher to get into any of the gears and notchy. I pulled the shifter out and lubed it all up, checked everything and re-installed and check to be sure it was aligned just right. I took it back out. It almost felt as the transmission warmed up that the shifts improved to get better and possibly less notchy. It was intermittent though. One time I would go through the gears and it felt relatively smooth. Then on another corner it felt notchy. Perhaps the computer needs to relearn this new part or something? I don't know. I honestly didn't expect the transmission to be locked up solid after I installed this and take a shut down and restart for it to start working again. So yeah, going to pull the shifter out again today and double check the alignment once again and then go for another drive and see how it behaves. Going to try to do the anti venom mod next....see if that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting issue after reverse lockout failure.

Quick Reply: Shifting issue after reverse lockout failure.