C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions on Starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 AM
CFeria
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Few Questions on Starter replacement

First Hello all and thank you for taking time to read my post.

I will need to replace the starter on my c5 very soon as I am occasionally having the no start issue, I have replaced the tdr relay, and the ignition switch, checked the neutral safety and it checks out good each time.

I know I will need to drop the exhaust, I fear the 3 header nuts/studs on each side that connect the header to the exhaust h-pipe.

I keep reading to soak them with some type of wd-40/pd-blaster. I'm good with that but can not see all 3 from the top I plan to soak them as much as possible at least 24hrs prior to starting the job.

Next everyone says to use heat to help, and I totally understand this, but if I heat them up wont that burn off any lubricant (wd-40) I have previously applied? Also wouldn't heat make the studs more likely to snap while twisting off??

Next removal of the nuts, am I better off using or starting with an impact? what type of impact, I have both the ratchet or regular impact gun?

Is there an easy way to access the top nut? Also I will not be working with a lift so that sucks. Do I need to raise both front and back ends of the car or is just the front good enough?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

You're overthinking the task. Get the car up on jack stands, spray the bolts and go to work. It doesn't take a lot of advanced planning. An impact wrench can be useful but probably not needed except in extreme cases.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

if they won't come off just using a rachet and socket, heat them red hot then spray with water, they will then come off like butter !!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM
CFeria
Instructor

Thanks for all replies! All very helpful! Guess spraying with wd-40 when red hot will be bad!!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM
CFeria
Instructor

thanks, I will see if I can order from amazon? Also since I would like to replaced the stud and nuts is there a kit I can order, thought I saw something like that in one of the post I was reading only now cant remember which one?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by CFeria
thanks, I will see if I can order from amazon? Also since I would like to replaced the stud and nuts is there a kit I can order, thought I saw something like that in one of the post I was reading only now cant remember which one?
I used this starter, 15,000 miles no issues !!
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Pounder; 02-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:46 PM
vipmiller803
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have broken one of those studs removing it with a ratchet. Had to take the whole manifold off to replace the stud. Can make for a worse day than needed if you're not prepared. I didn't use any lubricant though and just went at them, so I may be to blame.

I would recommend wd-40 or pbblaster for a few hours.

There is an old trick I learned a few years back. On exhaust, you can heat studs and then melt a crayon right at the stud threads. As the stud cools, the crayon wax gets sucked in and it works like magic. This likely works better on heads than this situation, although if in a pinch, trying it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by vipmiller803; 02-28-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Wire brush ALL of the exposed threads on the stud so that once you break the nut loose, it wont gall onto the stud.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Vulcan73
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're overthinking the task. Get the car up on jack stands, spray the bolts and go to work. It doesn't take a lot of advanced planning. An impact wrench can be useful but probably not needed except in extreme cases.
Exactly my recent experience. Once I got the front wheels on ramps, I tested one nut (pipe flange to exhaust manifold) to see how much trouble it would be to undo the exhaust. The first nut turned without too much torque so I tried a second nut and it too turned easily, 30 minutes later, the entire exhaust was laying on the floor.

You will have to get the rear end off the ground to get access to the bolts and nuts. I used jack stands for the rear with the front on ramps. I supported the exhaust with a scissors jack so I could lower it when everything was loosened and, likewise, so I could raise it back into position.

My C5 is a '98 and to my knowledge, the exhaust and starter have never been removed.

Last edited by Vulcan73; 03-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I personally would not waste my time with WD-40. PB Blaster (I use AeroKroil) is a FAR better penetrating product. JMHO
Kroil is the cats ***.....that stuff flows like water were I work.

Get notified of new replies

To Few Questions on Starter replacement

Quick Reply: Few Questions on Starter replacement