C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Bathed Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Bathed Cylinders

Alright guys, we all know that for some reason the c5 sucks oil in like it was made for it. But..when my cylinder walls are literally polished and coated with oil, I find it a bit much. I have installed the ls6 style Valley cover and and an elite engineering catch can..correctly. I would point to bad rings but my car doesn't smoke a bit..and my intake ports and intake is literally coated with oil. So any ideas on how to fix this? I have a burning oil smell under wot so the oil intake is likely in that event.

Thanks for any assistance!

Ben Marino
Old 02-28-2017, 04:21 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Valve guide seals? I would do a compression test. I think you are being quick to eliminate rings as the culprit.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:50 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by El original
Valve guide seals? I would do a compression test. I think you are being quick to eliminate rings as the culprit.
Well let me add a little more info to back my claim on the rings. I swapped a cam in 500 miles ago and there was no glaze on the walls like there is now and there are signs fresh oil burn on pistons and valve faces; heads are fresh rebuilds from TEA with less than 500 miles as well. I've never had ANY oil consumption beforehand either and cylinder pressure checks out. AND its not just a few cylinders..its all 8 equally glazed and oiled. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Waiting on others...come on guys, help is needed here.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

How much oil do you have to add and when?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you go with a different oil pump when you did the cam?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

high volume oil pump or unrestricted pushrods when using a hv oil pump can indirectly cause increased pcv oil consumption since oil flow to the top side of the engine (where the air is collected) is increased.

not getting the tune fixed, or dialed in quick enough after any engine airflow change (cam) can result in un-burned fuel washing the cylinders and ruining the seal from cylinder to the rings. This would cause cylinder oil consumption but would show up in the intake manifold as well.

aftermarket heads IMO is your problem. they do not, especially more budget heads, properly address tolerances of valve guide and seal geometry to control oil like stock. i would start there, also explains how the oil is magically getting around the can (because its not through the pcv system).

If you can determine that it is indeed making its way through the can I am happy to invite you to check out my offerings and what we can do to help.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fast one
How much oil do you have to add and when?
Never had to add oil, which is sorta weird and also no signs of oil on the cats..strange
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Did you go with a different oil pump when you did the cam?
Stock replacement pump
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by David@MMS
high volume oil pump or unrestricted pushrods when using a hv oil pump can indirectly cause increased pcv oil consumption since oil flow to the top side of the engine (where the air is collected) is increased.

not getting the tune fixed, or dialed in quick enough after any engine airflow change (cam) can result in un-burned fuel washing the cylinders and ruining the seal from cylinder to the rings. This would cause cylinder oil consumption but would show up in the intake manifold as well.

aftermarket heads IMO is your problem. they do not, especially more budget heads, properly address tolerances of valve guide and seal geometry to control oil like stock. i would start there, also explains how the oil is magically getting around the can (because its not through the pcv system).

If you can determine that it is indeed making its way through the can I am happy to invite you to check out my offerings and what we can do to help.
Tune may be the problem as I was running it a bit rich until I got my wideband fixed. Also, my heads are LS2 243 heads so no aftermarket heads. Its back apart now so I wont be able to troubleshoot for a while. I'll just update once I get it running again.

Thanks guy!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

fresh rebuild from TEA

what did they do?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
fresh rebuild from TEA

what did they do?
replaced exhaust valve guides, milled head, installed spring kit with seals and a valve job
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

ok so just hear me out. they replaced parts that were apparently not contributing to oil consumption (yet these parts have complete capability to contribute to oil consumption)..
and now you have oil consumption, with no other changes

just saying, you are assuming the heads are better or at least as good as they were before because you spent your hard earned money on them. lets find out for sure. i have seen it the opposite more than once.

if the exhaust port is wet then it is almost always an exhaust valve/seal/guide problem

the intake valve is harder to diagnose because of pcv oil consumption and fuel washing it off. looking for the valve seal to be in place and doing a wiggle test is a good start

all that said if you know you ran around without a re-tune between cam and heads or after both for a while then you could have easily earned yourself a fresh set of rings and a re-hone.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:34 PM
bmarino1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
ok so just hear me out. they replaced parts that were apparently not contributing to oil consumption (yet these parts have complete capability to contribute to oil consumption)..
and now you have oil consumption, with no other changes

just saying, you are assuming the heads are better or at least as good as they were before because you spent your hard earned money on them. lets find out for sure. i have seen it the opposite more than once.

if the exhaust port is wet then it is almost always an exhaust valve/seal/guide problem

the intake valve is harder to diagnose because of pcv oil consumption and fuel washing it off. looking for the valve seal to be in place and doing a wiggle test is a good start

all that said if you know you ran around without a re-tune between cam and heads or after both for a while then you could have easily earned yourself a fresh set of rings and a re-hone.
Well the heads were never on the engine before. I had 241 heads and got these off ebay and sent them in for a rebuild. And the car IS tuned for idle and cruise, just not WOT. I didn't have a WB at the time in order to send in logs for my tuner. And I get what you are saying man, no problem there. People aren't perfect by any means so they could have messed up. But the heads are actually with them now getting cnc ported so they'll let me know if there is any guide wear or whatnot. Also, its had to really know whats wrong when my car isnt running lol.

As for maybe needing some new rings..might as well get some pistons while im there right!?! haha
Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Just for info.....

When I bought my C5, it had 22,000 miles on it. Bought it in Dallas. I drove it from Texas to Arizona, and when I got home, all fine and dandy.

The second week I had it, the low oil light came on.
I had checked the oil when I left Texas, and again when I got home. I had put a half quart in (newbie owner) and thought all was well.
but the second week, the light came on and I checked it again.
It was 2 quarts down.
I went to my local engine builder that has built a few engines for me, and machined the ones I put together.

he said drive it like you were your grand mother.

He thought someone in my car's past had done a lot of cold engine high rev driving, and the rings needed to reseat.
He builds stock car engines for his real money, and so I tried it.
I drove it for 5,000 miles like the cylinders were made of glass, and the pistons were plastic.

Guess what, in the course of four months, the engine slowly stopped using oil Now I can go between oil changes (5000 miles) and only need 1/2 quart.

I change the filter every 2500 miles, and the oil stays almost yellow.
I guess the rings needed reseating when I got it.
His reasoning was that the early 01 engines didn't have enough skirt on the pistons, and they rock at high RPM when cold.
So I have 83,000 on it now, and drive it spiritedly, but don't hit the red line ever, and it has rewarded me with good service, and runs strong.

Drive it like you stole it was never good advice if you ask me.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 03-09-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:35 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Yes, but it sounds cool. And makes you look like you're a real bad ***. LOL.

Last edited by itsonlyairandfuel; 03-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

To the OP

If you want great advice, don't spoon feed how the problem "may have gotten that way"
Lay it on the line!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Bathed Cylinders

Quick Reply: Oil Bathed Cylinders